Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In question 3c)a)i) on this paper:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...iqBx61dI9xRhZA

What do you do with the proline to form that peptide bond?

ReputationRep:
    It's the same as the other except instead of NH2 you have NHR

So you end up with a secondary amide instead of a primary amide.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I don't get what happens to the ch2ch2ch2 group when the amide group is formed. Can't the nitrogen atom only have three bonds? Or am I being stupid actually thinking about it, so do you just attach the carbonyl group to the NHR group and have the four groups around the nitrogen atom?

ReputationRep:
    Remeber that H2O is removed - the OH from the COOH and the H from the NHR, so you'll end up with three N-C bonds :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! I get it now, thanks. You have to produce one water molecule from the formation of each peptide bond! That'll help me with future questions, thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.