Turn on thread page Beta

Erm, what have I done? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)
    ******, really? So like 70kg the very first time?! :O
    No, with all due respect that would be unwise.

Although your message is slightly ambiguous, a standard Olympic bar that you see in most gyms weighs 20kg, I can't tell from your message whether you've put 2 x 5kg plates on each end or 2 x 2.5kg so the answer will probably be either 30kg or 25kg depending on which configuration you are referring too and assuming that you are using a 20kg Olympic bar as mentioned.

For the number of reps you have specified which IIRC was 5 this amount of weight would not be unusual for a beginner so you have nothing to worry about, if at all you were!! You will progress 'up' the weights very quickly at the start anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You count the entire weight (including the bar). So a standard olympic bar (20kg) plus a 5 on each side is 30kg.

As for others giving 'advice' on how strong he should be - **** off! Everyone starts somewhere, and it's not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    and you are a girl right? because if you are a guy, you're either very young or extremely weak :P
    Get lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    If you can spell, you should be able to bench more than that.
    Oh shut up, he's just started, its funny all the people make snide remarks about the OP, I bet your lifts are **** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Please say you lack a penis. 20 kg, lol may nan can lift that. And she's a flid. ahahhahaha

ReputationRep:
    your progression is gonna be rapid OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj1234567890123)
    Please say you lack a penis. 20 kg, lol may nan can lift that. And she's a flid. ahahhahaha
    how old are you? what do you lift?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, what does this mean?

Today I started Starting Strength after my first session of HIIT yesterday, and I managed pathetic weights, but it's just a start, and I is baaaare confused now.

I managed to (3 x 5 repetitions) bench a 10kg bar + 5kg weights on either side, squat 15kg and deadlift 15kg.

:o:

So does that mean I benched 15kg? :confused:
    Firstly, use an olympic bar, which weights 20kg. Any healthy human being without disabilities should be able to squat and bench the bar at least.

Secondly, the beauty of SS is linear progression, so you'll soon be lifting respectable weights pretty soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj1234567890123)
    I can't even say that I know what the second half of your post means x

ReputationRep:
    Okay, am slowly getting better. Woooop, and have put on baaare weight, even though I've been eating clean!

WEEK 1

MON: HIIT, body weight 79.3kg
    TUE: SS, Squat 15kg, Bench 20kg, Deadlift 15kg
    THU: SS, Squat 25kg (+bar, whatever it is), Bench 20kg still, Deadlift 40kg, body weight 80.2kg

Yesssssss :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    I weigh just under 10 stone which is around 63 kilograms. I managed to lift 52kg when bench pressing when i went to the gym with friends, I am 16. But i am quite athletic and i go boxing twice a week, but i do no wieghts.
    Well done?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, am slowly getting better. Woooop, and have put on baaare weight, even though I've been eating clean!

WEEK 1

MON: HIIT, body weight 79.3kg
    TUE: SS, Squat 15kg, Bench 20kg, Deadlift 15kg
    THU: SS, Squat 25kg (+bar, whatever it is), Bench 20kg still, Deadlift 40kg, body weight 80.2kg

Yesssssss :-)
    Keep going, i'm sure if you suck it up, you'll realise just how easy it is to progress on that routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Keep going, i'm sure if you suck it up, you'll realise just how easy it is to progress on that routine.
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Sun:

Squat 60kg,
    Deadlift 50kg,
    Bench 20kg (slowest improvement here)

Wooop woop!

ReputationRep:
    Nice advice.
    If you don't know about this please do under experience person.
    Keep sharing more information.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.