Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

I sat this paper and yes, it was the most ridiculous paper ever!

Thousands and I mean thousands of people immediately started several facebook groups saying things like we were robbed, what was that paper to do with anything? Only one question was real biology turned up, i'm not going to make my university placement because of that paper, etc.

Here is a link to the BBC Source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8480563.stm

Here is the Facebook group, which I and many other TSR members are part of:

[no linking the facebook group please]

What do you think of this?

AQA have said they will carefully consider the marking so hopefully we will get really low grade boundaries and their future exam papers will be relevant.

What actions if any should they take?

Personally, I think an apology (only a small one) and low grade boundaries is what should be compromised.

Please share your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that you guys are getting media attention - but the OCR paper was just as bad - completley irrelevant, and wasted time spent on revision..I wish ours made it in the news :erm:

ReputationRep:
    That paper was like a horror movie about shrews. I had nightmares.

ReputationRep:
    They still need to make sure only a certain proportion of people get As, Bs, Cs etc... so 'low' grade boundaries, generally equating to low marks anyway, means someone will still lose out cos of the damn geese and shrews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    It's good that you guys are getting media attention - but the OCR paper was just as bad - completley irrelevant, and wasted time spent on revision..I wish ours made it in the news :erm:
    Was it really?

I doubt it was AS bad but I hear it was bad.

I spoke to a teacher on OCR whom said it was perfectly acceptable.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Why did people hate it so much?

ReputationRep:
    I have heard about this....what was so bad about it?

ReputationRep:
    The OCR paper was also bad...
    Questions on respiratory adaptations of bloody seals....
    What does that have to do with what we were taught?

ReputationRep:
    i don't see the point in having low grade boundaries because the paper was totally rubbish at distinguishing between the higher high grade students with the lower grades ones, because of its lack of biology content! So lowering the grade boundaries would probably just give a disproportionately high number of candidates A/A*, not all of whom who deserve it.. :/

Maybe they should think of doing an feb/march resit with actual biology questions this time?!

ReputationRep:
    lmao, why didnt they add the OCR one too! I think it has a pretty big following!

Apologies if already been done:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8480563.stm

ReputationRep:
    No seriously the OCR paper was bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Was it really?

I doubt it was AS bad but I hear it was bad.

I spoke to a teacher on OCR whom said it was perfectly acceptable.

:dontknow:
    Well I'm not sure how bad your paper was in comparison to ours...but having revised the whole of the textbook - and very little of the textbook to have come up is a joke. I disagree with it being perfectly acceptable - teachers at our school also think its unfair. I dunno, i guess I (and you) feel kindof cheated, having put in all those hours of work for it not to come up...And looking at threads on tsr and having spoken to many people its pretty unanimous - so I hope it will get the media attention that it deserves because it was a screw over:yep:

ReputationRep:
    There's going to be a lot of free university places come results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I have heard about this....what was so bad about it?
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Why did people hate it so much?
    There were 8 questions in total.

Only question 8 was 'real' Biology.

Now I understand how in A-level you get put under new situations and it's very different to GCSE...but this was taking the pee a bit too much.

Double page on shrews, turn over and another double page on shrews, turn over and another double page on shrews.

Something totally random like what happens when Nitrogen is added to apples, this was similar to BIOL1 where they asked something about carrots.

They really love their fruit and veg. :erm:

It was just weird, if you sat it, you would agree, do you know what Fungunababoohungawunga glue is or what it does?

This was my reaction when it turned up: :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    What were the questions?

ReputationRep:
    i finished A Levels n got AAA in chem BIO maths.... I wanna see this paper to see what all this fuss is about..... link plz anyone???

ReputationRep:
    What was so bad about it? Was it:
    A) About unrelated areas of biology, testing your inert scientific intelligence.
    B) About unrelated areas of biology, but testing your knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not sure how bad your paper was in comparison to ours...but having revised the whole of the textbook - and very little of the textbook to have come up is a joke. I disagree with it being perfectly acceptable - teachers at our school also think its unfair. I dunno, i guess I (and you) feel kindof cheated, having put in all those hours of work for it not to come up...And looking at threads on tsr and having spoken to many people its pretty unanimous - so I hope it will get the media attention that it deserves because it was a screw over:yep:
    Unfortunately it's not as much popular as AQA in terms on candidates sitting the paper so it may not get the media coverage etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree, I was told about the OCR paper.

It's just with ours (which may be true about yours), you could have gone to Pakistan all year, chilled all day, smoked some cheap weed, put your feet up (you would probably want to do this elsewhere than Pakistan) but yeah...and you would have got the same mark as you will get come March 11th.

It was just totally random irrelevant stuff apart from question 8 which was cool.

Also, "you will not be tested on Spearman's rank for examination purposes." is published on Page 9 of the AQA A2 Textbook...there was a question on interpretation of Spearman's rank.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Why would this be a reason for anyone to miss their offer? Surely if you do badly you can just resit in June. Some schools (including mine) don't let you do any modules in january at all, you'd just be in the same position as us

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.