Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat1992)
    did you take that picture in your sig during the exam :eek3:

how?
    iPhone innit.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think AQA should get some more media crap thrown at them for only letting students be able to resit old spec exams in Jan (with the exception of maths) why cant they just do one more exam. Theyve ruined my chances at going to my uni choice because of crap questions (I bet they decided to just to use 'old drafts' of papers they had)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    iPhone innit.:yep:
    Well that was a big risk. What would you do if you were caught? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I bet they'll leave it as it is -- lower the grade boundaries slightly blah blah
    Everyone will get their grades and it'll all kick off again
    Then they'll say that theres always the option to resit in june -- or do something drastic like void all the results and make everyone do it in june again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Well that was a big risk. What would you do if you were caught? :eek:
    There's an app for that. :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesalamander123)
    What was so bad about it? Was it:
    A) About unrelated areas of biology, testing your inert scientific intelligence.
    This.
    Everyone's just pissy about it because they wasted their time revising stuff that didn't show up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    I don't disagree, I was told about the OCR paper.

It's just with ours (which may be true about yours), you could have gone to Pakistan all year, chilled all day, smoked some cheap weed, put your feet up (you would probably want to do this elsewhere than Pakistan) but yeah...and you would have got the same mark as you will get come March 11th.

It was just totally random irrelevant stuff apart from question 8 which was cool.

Also, "you will not be tested on Spearman's rank for examination purposes." is published on Page 9 of the AQA A2 Textbook...there was a question on interpretation of Spearman's rank.

:lolwut:
    I love how thats the only place spearmans rank is mentionned in the entire book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    There's an app for that. :top:
    Lol, i knew there was a reason i downloaded that "invigilator repellent" app.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Was there anything about it in the main 6pm news? Let's keep up the rioting, people need to know what a joke AQA (and OCR from the sounds of it) biology has become.

ReputationRep:
    This exam reads more like a stats paper than a Biology one. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    From looking at it, I don't see the problem really. Sure maybe there was a lot more maths into, and not that I do AQA or anything, but some people claim there was no biology in it at all and I feel the questions are reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    It was absolutely pathetic!
    One out of eight questions on ACTUAL knowledge.
    I didn't know I was sitting a stats paper.

ReputationRep:
    if i miss my offer cos of this paper imma gonna be in another level of madness

also, just a thought, they should give us free retakes for anyone who needs it.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for all the cambridge people who are sweating their offers atm

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I sat that paper, and they it was challenging, but what do you want it to be!?! The shrew question was a little OTT though.

Admittedly I was disappointed with the lack of a genetics question (in fact, there was a part about selection which I guess they counted for that topic) but just about everything else was in there (even if only the odd part question).
    I saw someone mention about the apple slices in nitrogen - well that was just about anaerobic respiration...
    The questions on the surface were 'weird' but with a little thinking the biology behind them could easily be uncovered.

ReputationRep:
    haha i loved it i dont see the problem our teachers always tell us to expect alot of HSW and as for irrelevant apple questions it was asking about anaerobic respiration...

ReputationRep:
    There is a dark future ahead for shrew conservation in britain.

ReputationRep:
    I think its good its in the media. 1/8th of that paper was real biology and that was at the end so many people I knew actually ran out of time and didn't do them.

Lowering grade boundries is fine but still not very fair. It still determines how well a person did on all the shrew and seal stuff and still not being graded on their biological knowledge. You know all those topics that were in the spec and completely missed out. I agree a certain proportion should be HSW to see if the student can ALSO apply information to related Q's but not to the extent that it was yesterday.

The most annoying part is that a completely unrelated calculation was put in the exam which somebody could have done with no revision where instead they could have put in a Hardy Weinberg to see if the student actually revised and understood the material set in the spec/textbook.

My thoughts anyways

ReputationRep:
    Argh, seems all bio examiners are being *****, - Luckily the AQA have made the news, how come OCR didnt tho?

ReputationRep:
    Thankgod !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.