Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T Finn)
    I think this is stupid I sat this exam and it wasn't as bad as everybody is making out
    The questions were very similar to the ISA I sat in October and I don't know why everybody is making such a big deal. These are A Levels, they're not supposed to be easy, and if everybody's found it hard, then the marks will be lower, so everybody should get similar to the grades they deserved
    True point but...they aren't meant to be similar to practicals.

It's like a Core Maths paper having a load of applied stuff in.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    You're all complaining because you didn't learn the answers to the questions. This is A-level people, knowledge is the most basic testing criteria. Ever seen Bloom's Taxonomy? At A-level you should be working at at least the synthesis level, which you were expected to do for this exam.

I suggest you all quit whining about it because it's your own fault you failed. You should have learned to answer the exam not just learn the textbook.

I have no sympathy for you.

ReputationRep:
    I revised and revised; I even read Shakespeare's play, but it was about a different kind of shrew!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazuliblue)
    I kinda feel bad for you all, but tbh in many of my biology papers the questions just required you to apply your knowledge to completely random and obscure situations. I think its just how they do them in biology. Sorts the real scientists from the...erm...not real ones.

Also, they often only have half of what you learnt come up...sometimes even less, as annoying as it is.
    thats what i reckon! you dont only learn things for the purposes of the exam, you learn stuff that will be useful to know for further education/careers,, so dont get annoyed that stuff you learned didnt come up

(Original post by *MJ*)
    :rofl:

We will. :sad:

Another title change?

Mods are having fun with my thread. :woo:

:p:
    Tbh, I don't think this little complaint will get anywhere. There's always something like this, cos loads of students get butthurt cos they didn't do as well as they expected.

I personally feel the fault is that there aren't enough new spec papers to practice on, so you used old spec past papers to base this new spec on, and that is where the fault was.

:yeah:

You in Ramadan thread plxplxplx.

ReputationRep:
    *****es should stop whining, and learn their lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    :rofl:

We will. :sad:

Another title change?

Mods are having fun with my thread. :woo:

:p:
    More like Mods are having a fail with your thread :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhySoLimey)
    really? rare is the person who has said biology is the hardest a level.

in fact this is the first time ive ever heard it.
    It's not at all. I know several people succeeding in other courses that are generally considered difficult - further maths, physics, chemistry - that have either dropped biology due to recieving low marks or that do very poorly.

The general public doesn't rate biology so much seemingly because it's less quantitative than other subjects, but many students acknowledge its difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Aww, sorreh. :console:

I was just about to PM you and apologise about the Facebook link, didn't know you weren't allowed to do that.

:hugs:

I'm sort of starting to agree that this was much more of a normal(ish) paper and the fuss is too much. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I feel as if you guys have been cheated by your teachers rather than the exam board

I was fully expecting the exam to be like it was...
    have you not noticed the pattern from unit one and two?

did your teachers not tell you this specification is 'Science at work/ how science works' based?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    You're all complaining because you didn't learn the answers to the questions. This is A-level people, knowledge is the most basic testing criteria. Ever seen Bloom's Taxonomy? At A-level you should be working at at least the synthesis level, which you were expected to do for this exam.

I suggest you all quit whining about it because it's your own fault you failed. You should have learned to answer the exam not just learn the textbook.

I have no sympathy for you.

Another smartass who thinks he knows everything. Please take your ignorance elswhere or at least find out the reason for the complaints.
    NO it is not our fault we failed, i had been revising for 3 months and knew the textbook inside out and in past papers from old spec attaining a minimum of a low B.

(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    :console:

It won't be long before a national newspaper quotes TSR. :facepalm: :p:

Edit: I'm glad I do OCR though. :proud: Though that exam was also quite poor. :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    :console:

It won't be long before a national newspaper quotes TSR. :facepalm: :p:
    Wouldn't surprise me, guardian seem to like doing so :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefgH18)
    have you not noticed the pattern from unit one and two?
    To be honest unit 1 and unit 2 were far more accessible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca9109)
    Another smartass who thinks he knows everything. Please take your ignorance elswhere or at least find out the reason for the complaints.
    NO it is not our fault we failed, i had been revising for 3 months and knew the textbook inside out and in past papers from old spec attaining a minimum of a low B.
    It's not just about regurgitating knowledge, it's about applying what you know to new situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejit)
    To be honest unit 1 and unit 2 were far more accessible.
    True! but the exams are meant to get harder as we move to A2!
    I though the paper was pretty irrelevant- but as i said it was made clear by my teachers that it would be that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca9109)
    if you learned the text book inside out, then you shouldnt have had a problem with the exam.
    being smart doesnt make a person ignorant, in fact the opposite is probably true.

AQA were clearing trying to be able to distinguish between people who could just memorise a textbook, and people intelligent enough to apply what they knew

ReputationRep:
    i think getting A's and B's in past paper clearly shows i can apply biological knowledge

ReputationRep:
    It was a good, challenging paper in my opinion and I don't think it's deserved all this hype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who's N?)
    i don't see the point in having low grade boundaries because the paper was totally rubbish at distinguishing between the higher high grade students with the lower grades ones, because of its lack of biology content! So lowering the grade boundaries would probably just give a disproportionately high number of candidates A/A*, not all of whom who deserve it.. :/

Maybe they should think of doing an feb/march resit with actual biology questions this time?!
    no,, having an exam where content was purely from the specification would NOT distinguish between students. a thick person, or someone who doesnt even do science can go through a specification like a tick list and memorise things,, what takes intelligence is applying that to unknown situations, which i think we all agree is what the paper was on.

someone bein like "im a high grade student and i found it hard therefore it is a stupid paper" is childish,, there are people who did understand the exam and learnt the specification in a way that meant they could apply it to the paper without trouble -- high grade students

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.