Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    It was like this for M1
    AQA? It wasn't as bad as what this has seems to be.. at least they asked math questions lol

ReputationRep:
    im likin the way these discussions have got more clever people in them now

ReputationRep:
    http://www.milanmehta.net/aqabiojan2010/

Haven't read the whole thread, so if this has already been posted, sorry, but if you guys haven't seen the 'fake' comical paper somebody made, you must. It's brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Since when do sliced apples respire? Aerobically or anaerobically. Oxidised, yes. :curious:
    Of course sliced apples respire. Why would they oxidise in an atmosphere completely lacking in O2?
    The question was asking about slices of apples in an atmosphere of only nitrogen and no O2 and how the amount of CO2 produced varied.
    The products of anaerobic respiration for plants being ethanol and CO2.
    The question was clearly about anaerobic respiration.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, and by looking at the information in the question,, first molecule drawn had 4 hydrogens, second one had 6,, so the role of reduced nad was providing H

also,, first molecule drawn had one carbon and 2 oxygens more than the second one, i.e. CO2, i.e. carbon dioxide, as the other question was askin about,,

all y'all confused people try gettin a brain on and thinkin about stuff rather than moaning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    http://www.docshare.com/doc/203893/AQA-BIOL4
    I just read through the paper, jeez, it's really not that bad at all. You just need a bit of general scientific knowledge and logic.

I was expecting it to be some mad left-field questions when really they are perfectly reasonible.

Anyone who is complaining that this paper was too hard I hope is not considering doing any kind of science for their degree?

ReputationRep:
    Well the AQA Biology Unit 2 was pretty hard as well :p:
    We had a question about bloody seaweed! And why it floats to the top of a lake :curious:
    But I don't think it even compared to your A level exam guys :eek: I wish you all well come results day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    AQA? It wasn't as bad as what this has seems to be.. at least they asked math questions lol

LOL- question 5,6, and 8 totally threw me off guard. I did every single past paper God could send TWICE, and it just....flopped

ReputationRep:
    just raising awareness:
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/AQABIOL4/

ReputationRep:
    Yes some pupils were more prepared by their teachers than others. but a majority have been let down by AQA who published text books on which schools will have spent thousands for this new course spec, only to render them utterly irrelevant; with this joke of an exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    LOL- question 5,6, and 8 totally threw me off guard. I did every single past paper God could send TWICE, and it just....flopped
    Question 8 was the normal biology one.

If you got a problem with that...not good. :no:

:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Despite the media attention, not all students found it dreadful! My friends from my previous school sat it and they said it went well. What's done is done anyways. Just resit if all goes badly, and who knows if they lower the grade boundaries things not be as bad as one expects.

So what if the paper was difficult? That's how it's supposed to be and i'm glad these A*s are going to challenging to get, so the candidates can be distinguished.

I agree that exams should be challenging, but an exam board should NOT publish in their textbook a specific topic wouldn't be tested on, and then put it in the paper.

That's deliberately misleading students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    I agree that exams should be challenging, but an exam board should NOT publish in their textbook a specific topic wouldn't be tested on, and then put it in the paper.

That's deliberately misleading students.
    True and if AQA did say that Spearman's Rank wouldn't be examined then it could be challenged (and the textbooks should be altered).

The old textbooks said that although we wouldn't be expected to carry out SRCC we could be asked to interpret results given. You would wonder why they bother including it in the textbook if they didn't expect students to have knowledge of it though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okelly5)
    im likin the way these discussions have got more clever people in them now
    Obviously, by the word "clever" you mean "agree with you". That's a pretty arrogant stance to take. Did you take the test? (not a criticism -- a genuine question).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Question 8 was the normal biology one.

If you got a problem with that...not good. :no:

:o:
    I'm talking about AQA Mechanics Maths! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qLJyD7wbY
    A tribute to shrews! not created by me but made me lol neither the less its like some massive inside joke between 20,000 people

ReputationRep:
    proper nice job whoever found the link for the paper,, dunno who leaked that out,

maybe now people with confusions can check it out, be more specific as to which questions and topics they had problems with and other people can help properly,, would be a lot more constructive than
    'this paper is a disgrace'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_penguin)
    True and if AQA did say that Spearman's Rank wouldn't be examined then it could be challenged (and the textbooks should be altered).

The old textbooks said that although we wouldn't be expected to carry out SRCC we could be asked to interpret results given. You would wonder why they bother including it in the textbook if they didn't expect students to have knowledge of it though...
    It's not quite the same but by AQA Economics textbook includes lots of extra diagrams and specifically says 'you would not be expected to draw this in an exam.' In that context it's more for explanation.
    Although considering AQA's disregard for this and my exam being on Friday, I should be extra cautious of what the textbook claims you will not be tested on...

ReputationRep:
    I saw this thread, and decided to drop in.....
    I've just had a look at the paper, and can honsetly say that, despite having not studied biology or stats since GCSE level, I could have done all the questions aside from 1 or 2 corners of question 5. It isn't necessarily difficult, but it will be completely useless for differentiating between any A*, A and B grade students, as the marks for all reasonably able candidates will end up being almost randomly spread due to the low level of biology on the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Obviously, by the word "clever" you mean "agree with you". That's a pretty arrogant stance to take. Did you take the test? (not a criticism -- a genuine question).
    mate i wasnt trying to be arrogant
    i meant the discussions had gone from

"this exam is a disgrace, we should all write complaining letters to the exam board" (a generalisation i know but reasonably fair)

to people offering answers to questions people had, and explaining how the specification fitted in with the exam.

i just wrote 'clever' cos i was busy watching a film and didnt wanna put too much effort into the comment

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.