Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone please explain to me what electrolysis is?

ReputationRep:
    when two plates are charged one positively and one negatively. The ions are then attracted to the negative plate, and thats where my knowlegde ends, we havent covered it much in physics

ReputationRep:
    break up a compound using electricity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    when two plates are charged one positively and one negatively. The ions are then attracted to the negative plate, and thats where my knowlegde ends, we havent covered it much in physics
    It's studied in Chemistry rofl.

Electrolysis is the breaking down of a compound that contains ions, down to its elements using an electric current.
    The negative ion in compound move to the anode, and the positive ions in compound move to the cathode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    It's studied in Chemistry rofl.

Electrolysis is the breaking down of a compound that contains ions, down to its elements using an electric current.
    The negative ion in compound move to the anode, and the positive ions in compound move to the cathode.
    Lol, ignorant comment much? We do study it in the context of electricity and ions in Physics, just briefly as a real life example, hence my basic knowledge. Why do you consider there to be no crossover between Physics and Chemistry anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Lol, ignorant comment much? We do study it in the context of electricity and ions in Physics, just briefly as a real life example, hence my basic knowledge. Why do you consider there to be no crossover between Physics and Chemistry anyway?
    "gcse chemistry: what is electrolysis?"

Lol, assumptions much? I never said there was no crossover.

ReputationRep:
    Electrolysis

*Electrolysis is the breaking down of something using electricity
    *It needs a liquid (called an electrolyte) to conduct the electricity
    *It's the free ions in the molten substance that allow electricity to be conducted.
    *For an electrical circuit there needs to be a flow of electrons. In electrolysis, electrons are taken away from ions at the positive electrode and given to other ions at the negative electrode. As the ions gain or lose electrons they become molecules or atoms.

Example of Electrolysis

*Aluminum can be taken from its ore.
    *The main ore of aluminum is bauxite which contains aluminum oxide which is Al2O3.
    *Molten aluminum oxide contains free ions to conduct electricity.
    *The positive aluminum ions are attracted to the negative electrode where they pick up electrons to get a full shell...these then become aluminum atoms with NO charge.
    *They sink to the bottom.

*Whereas the negative oxygen ions are attracted to the positive electrode where they lose two electrons. This the makes an oxygen molecule which can be bubbled off.

I would give examples of equations if I thought these would help and if I understood how to insert all the charges and stuff on this forum.

Anymore questions just ask.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.