Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry another quick que

When you are hydrolysing ester using sodium hydroxide, does the carboxylate salt exist as -COONa or -COO- Na+ (i suspect the latter but need confirmation). Also, would the former be strictly incorrect?

I ask because in the AQA textbook they draw them as COONa but in the past paper mark scheme it states "allow -COONa but not covalently bonded Na" (<-- which doesn't even make sense does it COONa is covalently bonded isn't it?)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    Sorry another quick que

When you are hydrolysing ester using sodium hydroxide, does the carboxylate salt exist as -COONa or -COO- Na+ (i suspect the latter but need confirmation). Also, would the former be strictly incorrect?

I ask because in the AQA textbook they draw them as COONa but in the past paper mark scheme it states "allow -COONa but not covalently bonded Na" (<-- which doesn't even make sense does it COONa is covalently bonded isn't it?)

Cheers
    Typically you would just write them as -COONa but if you are asked to show displayed formula, it is wiser to show the charged species, as like you said, O-Na bond is not covalent. The way -COONa is written doesn't imply it is covalent, like NaCl which is actually Na+Cl-.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.