Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me choose a fancy dress outfit! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Theme: legends and fairytales.

I'm thinking Superwoman or Wonder Woman, but this is looking unlikely because of eBay prices. I don't want to do the generic fairy or witch, and it has to be slutty but recognisable i.e. bunny slut outfit =/= to the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, and preferably a superhero, but not a modern one like Mrs Incredible.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Could you be some form of slutty Red Riding Hood?

Edit: I can't think of traditional superhero characters :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Catwoman. Meow.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Could you be some form of slutty Red Riding Hood?

Edit: I can't think of traditional superhero characters :sigh:
    I was thinking that, but isn't it a bit wrong to go as a slutty 12 year old visiting her nan? On the plus side, all I need is a short red hooded cape, and knee high socks or something, but don't know where to get that from.

(Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    Jesus.
    Too manly, and I don't think God would like it.

(Original post by tinytinygirl)
    Catwoman. Meow.
    I have long blonde curly hair, and it requires special shoes that mean another £30+ quid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)

I'm thinking Superwoman or Wonder Woman, but this is looking unlikely because of eBay prices. I don't want to do the generic fairy or witch, and it has to be slutty but recognisable i.e. bunny slut outfit =/= to the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, and preferably a superhero, but not a modern one like Mrs Incredible.

Any ideas?
    Superwoman and Wonderwoman are not really from legends, fairytales, or folklore, plus they will be overdone. Try to go for something more original or creative- people will remember your costume more if you are the only one in that outfit.

What about Little Red Riding Hood, H.C.Anderson's Little Mermaid, a Nymph?

If you want to go slutty superhero/villan look at the following-

Poison Ivy
    The Silk Spectre (Watchmen)
    Hawkgirl
    Zatanna
    Rogue
    Jean Grey/Pheonix
    Elektra
    Catwoman (Be warned- overdone)
    Mystique

(I've listed some famous ones, and some of the more obscure, which less people will dress as)

And, anything can be made slutty by making the outfit tighter, and/or the skirt shorter. Just be creative with your idea, and work out how to make it slutty later.

Hope that helps! :yep:

Edit:
    I have long blonde curly hair, and it requires special shoes that mean another £30+ quid.
    Rapunzel. Sorted,

ReputationRep:
    A slutty Rumplestiltskin? Just to mix things up a bit

How about the Little Mermaid? Making that slutty is pretty simple...

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note, perhaps Cinderella, the Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Princess Jasmine, Rapunzel, Little Bo Peep, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, and even Lara Croft would be apt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLobsterQuadrille)
    Superwoman and Wonderwoman are not really from legends, fairytales, or folklore, plus they will be overdone. Try to go for something more original or creative- people will remember your costume more if you are the only one in that outfit.

What about Little Red Riding Hood, H.C.Anderson's Little Mermaid, a Nymph?

If you want to go slutty superhero/villan look at the following-

Poison Ivy
    The Silk Spectre (Watchmen)
    Hawkgirl
    Zatanna
    Rogue
    Jean Grey/Pheonix
    Elektra
    Catwoman (Be warned- overdone)
    Mystique

(I've listed some famous ones, and some of the more obscure, which less people will dress as)

And, anything can be made slutty by making the outfit tighter, clothes shorter. Just be creative with your idea, and work out how to make it slutty later.

Hope that helps! :yep:

Edit:

Rapunzel. Sorted,
    The 'theme' is so that people don't go as slutty French maids, so superheros can be on the cards. I don't know many people taking it seriously as to get a proper outfit for a superhero like me, and there will be no other Wonder Woman. I want it to be recognisable, so a lot of the people you listed aren't really on the cards (ooh - Poison Ivy) and it needs to be buyable (i.e. popular and not too obscure).

Also I'd prefer it if the character didn't require special shoes, like Silk Spectre has over-the-knee boots which will easily be £50+ alone. Hawkgirl looks really scary and the wings could be very annoying. Also - Mystique? Really?? A naked blue girl? Thanks for the ideas! And regarding Rapunzel, I had thought about it but when I say my hair is long, it's mid-back length, not floor length so I'd need a wig that I can't find in any of the shops and what if it kept coming off/would make me too hot/slapping everybody when it swings around? Might be too much hassle.

ReputationRep:
    The 'theme' is so that people don't go as slutty French maids, so superheros can be on the cards. I don't know many people taking it seriously as to get a proper outfit for a superhero like me, and there will be no other Wonder Woman. I want it to be recognisable, so a lot of the people you listed aren't really on the cards (ooh - Poison Ivy) and it needs to be buyable (i.e. popular and not too obscure).

Also I'd prefer it if the character didn't require special shoes, like Silk Spectre has over-the-knee boots which will easily be £50+ alone. Hawkgirl looks really scary and the wings could be very annoying. Also - Mystique? Really?? A naked blue girl? Thanks for the ideas! And regarding Rapunzel, I had thought about it but when I say my hair is long, it's mid-back length, not floor length so I'd need a wig that I can't find in any of the shops and what if it kept coming off/would make me too hot/slapping everybody when it swings around? Might be too much hassle.

How ungrateful!

ReputationRep:

Generally costumes that need boots come with things to go over your shoes. Just something for you to think about.

I personally would never go as anything slutty, but you asked for slutty, so I listed all of the slutty superheroes I know. But then again, I'm probably more self-conscious than you are.

If it were me, I would go as a female version of H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man. Get a mac, a fedora, some sunglasses, and some surgical bandage. Apart from the mac, and hat, it's quite easy/cheap... and luckily for me, I have all of the things I would need for this costume. Plus you are covered up quite well, and it is hot in a kind of "just-imagine-what-I-am-covering-up" kind of way... Not in an "expose-as-much-flesh-as-possible" way.

Tbh, slutty isn't original. Don't do it. Quirky and original is always more memorable anyway.

And don't buy, make. The quality of the stuff off the internet is poor, at best.

Anyway, good luck with the costume!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOTCAPS)
    Fancy dress? Are you 12?

Also, slutty fancy dress outfits look awful, you should feel bad.
    It's an 18th birthday party. Also, you're trying to make me feel bad, you should feel bad.

Also, why in ***** name would you want to dress like a slut? Unless you are a slut, actually, thinking about it now, you probably are. Enjoy being looked down upon by anyone with any sense, when I go out, I avoid people like you like the plague.

'OMG LOOK AT US WE'RE SO COOL WE'RE IN SLUTTY FANCY DRESS OUTFITS'

Because if I arrived in a full length ball gown, I would (a) have paid too much for it as it would be a prom dress, (b) be taking it way too seriously instead of incorporating myself into it, (c) look very out of place in a club, (d) be too hot to dance, and (e) not be able to dance properly. I don't care if people look down on me, it's a group consisting of my friends as well as my boyfriend. And in case you hadn't noticed, superheroines and Disney princesses are slutty. So's your mum. Please gtfo my thread!

(Original post by sarah430)
    A slutty Rumplestiltskin? Just to mix things up a bit

How about the Little Mermaid? Making that slutty is pretty simple...
    He's a dude! Thanks. Rofl I'd thought about a mermaid, but the tail would look a bit naff, don't you think? And even when Disney do it at Disnleyland, the tail always look wrong if you can walk with it.

(Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    On a more serious note, perhaps Cinderella, the Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Princess Jasmine, Rapunzel, Little Bo Peep, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, and even Lara Croft would be apt.
    Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty/Snow White have floor length dresses which would be difficult to make slutty. They're basically ball gowns, and I'd thought seriously about it but they'd be really expensive, difficult to dance in, and would make me look 8 years old Princess Jasmine might be okay, but I'd worry about getting cold/having the wrong hair and skin (very pale, blonde and curly hair, as opposed to being from Baghdad). I'd only be recognisable as Little Bo Peep with the shepherd stick thing, which would get so annoying! Dorothy looks too much like Alice in Wonderland which the host is going as. I will definitely look into Lara Croft, I'm blonde but apart from that very doable. Might need to go shoe shopping :/ they look like Uggs though. Eurgh. Thanks for all your suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariarrrrr.)
    How ungrateful!
    Huh? No, I said thank you. It shows I am actually thinking about the ideas and then listing pros and cons, rather than going 'thats nice'. And I want to keep ideas coming.

Sorry if I've offended anyone else. I really didn't mean it!

ReputationRep:
    Go on the following websites:

www.dunbarcostumes.co.uk (great outfits reasonable prices)
    www.joke.co.uk (huge selection)
    www.fancydress.com (probably the biggest selection on the internet!)

Hope that helps! (i use to manage a fancy dress shop hehe!) Also Charity shops are great for putting your own thing together!!

ReputationRep:
    Huh? No, I said thank you. It shows I am actually thinking about the ideas and then listing pros and cons, rather than going 'thats nice'. And I want to keep ideas coming.

Sorry if I've offended anyone else. I really didn't mean it!
    Tbh, you did come off as a little bit of a jerk. I probably wont be giving you advice in the future. Although a cliche, it wasn't what you said but how you said it.

You could have just said that they weren't quite right for you, but some more ideas would be great. I would have been fine with that.

And tbf, I only gave you those ideas as they were the type you asked for in your first post. I personally would have gone more down the gothic fairytale route. Or any other type of costume, if any costume apart from french maid was okay, (which you didn't mention in your first post), as superhero is so overdone. How are we supposed to come up with an idea for you, if you don't actually tell us what you want?

I understand you were judging the pros and cons, but still... That was unecessary.

And saying thank you is not an excuse to be rude.

/end of rant.

ReputationRep:
    u dont seem to want to spend any money?.. lol...so i'd advice u too just get a wig of some sort and and a dress to match ( e.g mini red dress, big red afro wig ) or something.... that way , ur in a "costume" and u can take off the wig whenever..

ReputationRep:
    My god men. Here is a female who WANTS to dress 'slutty' and you are vilifying her for it? For shame!

ReputationRep:
    Generally costumes that need boots come with things to go over your shoes. Just something for you to think about.

I personally would never go as anything slutty, but you asked for slutty, so I listed all of the slutty superheroes I know. But then again, I'm probably more self-conscious than you are.

If it were me, I would go as a female version of H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man. Get a mac, a fedora, some sunglasses, and some surgical bandage. Apart from the mac, and hat, it's quite easy/cheap... and luckily for me, I have all of the things I would need for this costume. Plus you are covered up quite well, and it is hot in a kind of "just-imagine-what-I-am-covering-up" kind of way... Not in an "expose-as-much-flesh-as-possible" way.

Tbh, slutty isn't original. Don't do it. Quirky and original is always more memorable anyway.

And don't buy, make. The quality of the stuff off the internet is poor, at best.

Anyway, good luck with the costume!
    I haven't read or seen the Invisible Man so I don't know if people would recognise me, is it like Sherlock Holmes? I have got the Sherlock Holmes outfit (apart from sunglasses, might have to borrow some if I did that) except thinking about it, I wear my Sherlock coat and hat out quite a lot, in a non-fancy dress way... and it might be too much to wear to a party. I'm actually considering getting a dress maker I know to whip something up, I know what you mean about quality on the internet, but even in shops they're bad quality if you're paying less than £30. But if I'm going to wear something 1-3 times, I don't really want to be paying more than that.

Okay now I'm aware now that I sound like one of those plastic girls out of Mean Girls who are ****gish and horrible. I'm really not slutty in any way in real life, it's only really parties where I dress up, and I rarely go to them. And I'm only replying to people how I would talk to my friends in real life, which might come off as abrupt online. Okay I'm going to stop talking now

(Original post by bekio)
    Go on the following websites:

www.dunbarcostumes.co.uk (great outfits reasonable prices)
    www.joke.co.uk (huge selection)
    www.fancydress.com (probably the biggest selection on the internet!)

Hope that helps! (i use to manage a fancy dress shop hehe!) Also Charity shops are great for putting your own thing together!!
    It's a shame Dunbar Costumes doesn't do a lot smaller than a size 10, but I'm definitely looking at Lara Croft now! Thanks a lot and may possibly do a charity shop run. Do you think it's worth hiring? Or is it really expensive :/

Tbh, you did come off as a little bit of a jerk. I probably wont be giving you advice in the future. Although a cliche, it wasn't what you said but how you said it.

You could have just said that they weren't quite right for you, but some more ideas would be great. I would have been fine with that.

And tbf, I only gave you those ideas as they were the type you asked for in your first post. I personally would have gone more down the gothic fairytale route. Or any other type of costume, if any costume apart from french maid was okay, (which you didn't mention in your first post), as superhero is so overdone. How are we supposed to come up with an idea for you, if you don't actually tell us what you want?

I understand you were judging the pros and cons, but still... That was unecessary.

And saying thank you is not an excuse to be rude.

/end of rant.
    Well I don't really know what I want, just something that looks nice, shows off my figure a little bit, and is recognisable. So I thought I'd just look at all the ideas and figure it out from there. Sorry, maybe I should've kept my criticism to myself but then I thought if you saw my thought process, come up with more ideas that I'd want? Okay, I think I'll stop now, I'm just digging myself into a hole. And I didn't mean to laugh at your Mystique idea, I'd have to paint myself blue and everyone would think I was an Avatar

(Original post by tianaluvsu)
    u dont seem to want to spend any money?.. lol...so i'd advice u too just get a wig of some sort and and a dress to match ( e.g mini red dress, big red afro wig ) or something.... that way , ur in a "costume" and u can take off the wig whenever..
    Well I don't really want to spend more than £30 on something I might only wear once or twice, or look like the only person there who has taken it seriously. I might do a charity run and do something makeshift, I just want it to be effective without having cost too much.

So you like ugly slutty girls in aweful outfits?

Enjoy your STIs.
    And you want a nun? Enjoy your sex life.

(Original post by paddy)
    You are quickly becoming my favourite person on TSR.
    Dang, I thought you were one of the good guys on here. Now every time I laugh at your sig I'll remember you as the guy that was nice to the person that thinks I've got an STI :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, some people on this thread need to grow up, and or go outside, if you find the concept of women exposing their body in relativity disturbing then it's your problem not theirs. There's no point stigmatising sex, fortunately we live in a state of sexual self-determinism for all, get over it - degrading people, by and large exclusively women, for enacting love, is pathetic.

ReputationRep:

Any ideas?
    i vote wonderwoman, i dress as her last year...i spent nomoney on the costume and i was still recognisable as her....just use your imagination.
    I juat printed out a photo from google images, and tried to copy best as i can her look.
    Oh and ask your mates if they have anything that is like any part of her outfit as well...

OTHERWISE
    some sort of hot greek goddess or something...may work and cheap...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.