Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me choose a fancy dress outfit! watch

ReputationRep:
    Er - haven't you heard of creating or making your own outfit? It can still look good and/or convincing without being brought online.

It does not have to cost £50+ either... There are ways around things like long fake hair or strange boots or hats. It seems like you are making a big deal out of nothing and throwing away some really good and well thought out suggestions and ideas.

The most important thing is getting the overall look and a plain dress or outfit can be made to look like a character simply with the use of a few well chosen accessories.

Mermaids are legend/myth - simple outfit, nice long skirt or fishtail style dress, have your hair down, make/buy a shell or starfish style necklace and wear a plain or decorated bra (sew some material stars or shell shapes onto the cups for example) with the skirt. NOT going to cost £50 and can look effective.

A princess style outfit - again, not hard. Dress, tiara, accessory to make you Snow White (apple and basket) or Cinderella (duster etc) or Rapunzel (mirror) etc. For long hair buy a wig or hair extensions, cheap hair extension can be tied together with ribbon/string and you can just take it off if you get too hot, no big deal...

Warrior princess - Amazonian/Xena = toy sword, short skirt, fake armour/thick corset style belt, knee and elbow pads, tiara, dark make-up. Again, not expensive and pretty obvious.

ReputationRep:
    dont know if anyones said it because i cant be bothered with reading the whole thread, but what about snow white?
    http://www.joke.co.uk/fancy_dress/ad...fc_~60191.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenaJayne)
    dont know if anyones said it because i cant be bothered with reading the whole thread, but what about snow white?
    http://www.joke.co.uk/fancy_dress/ad...fc_~60191.html
    Although that dress is really cute, it only comes in size 16, and this one is way too scary! I've looked around a bit and hadn't had much like with Disney princess outfits, but thanks for the help anyway

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine had a fancy dress party in her fresher's week and she went as snow white, she found a blue and red velvet corset and little arm thingies for £18 and then got a yellow tutu in a pound shop. Not too bad, and you wouldn't overheat in it. I happened to have some red go-go boots as well, which she borrowed. Add a hairband and voila! Under £20!

Seriously, try asking around your friends, you never know what they'll have lying around you could incorporate into a costume.

ReputationRep:
    Thor.

ReputationRep:
    You're really hard to please.
    What about a pirate? You don't need to buy a special outfit and you can make it as slutty as you want!

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about Tinkerbell? It's so cheap, if you just put in more effort than lame fairy wings. You sound quite slim from how you were complaining about needing a dress smaller than a size 10, so a green body-con style dress, green shoes with pom-pom fluffy things stuck on, fairy wings, fairy wand, and hair in a bun. Or, there are ready-made costumes here.

Sorry if you said no to fairies/tinkerbell, but she's easily recognisable and it'd be cheap and easy to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKent)
    Thanks to this threadhttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1164603, NOTCAPS has removed any right he may once have had to advise people on what to wear.
    Bwahahaa, that made me lmao irl.

Troll, I'd like to meet you.

(Original post by Hattie1992)
    You're really hard to please.
    What about a pirate? You don't need to buy a special outfit and you can make it as slutty as you want!
    Sorry:o: A pirate's a pretty good idea come to think of it and I already have an eye patch, I could pretend I was from POTC/Peter Pan. I'll definitely look into that if I don't do Lara Croft (see end of this post). Thanks for the idea =)

(Original post by punkyrocker)
    Have you thought about Tinkerbell? It's so cheap, if you just put in more effort than lame fairy wings. You sound quite slim from how you were complaining about needing a dress smaller than a size 10, so a green body-con style dress, green shoes with pom-pom fluffy things stuck on, fairy wings, fairy wand, and hair in a bun. Or, there are ready-made costumes here.

Sorry if you said no to fairies/tinkerbell, but she's easily recognisable and it'd be cheap and easy to do?
    Usually I wouldn't mind, I think it's a great idea, but one of my best friends is going as Tinkerbell and she's the type to be offended. Green is my favourite colour, too :/ I said no to the generic fairy because it's a bit lazy buying some wings and leaving it at that. Bah, looking at that link made me want to go as her even more, my friend is lovely but I know she would be offended/think I'm trying to outdo her (she would see it like wearing a white dress to a wedding). Thank you anyway! I was thinking maybe Titania from Midsummer Night's Dream, but does Shakespeare count as a fairytale?

Also, I think my problem might be solved: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lara-Croft-Ann...item45f0abaf61
    and I need to buy two blue guns (apparently it's now illegal not to have blue ones because someone might think I'm threatening them?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Although that dress is really cute, it only comes in size 16, and this one is way too scary! I've looked around a bit and hadn't had much like with Disney princess outfits, but thanks for the help anyway
    ahh i didnt look at the sizes, how silly that they only do it in one size! hope you find one

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you choose, this site is wear I got my catsuit for a recent costume, which might come in handy for many superheroes:

http://www.dancewearcentral.co.uk/L1...suit-P103.aspx

Personally I would probably go as a hot angel, but that's easier for a boy to do.

Also, ignore this weird troll, if this is what he does for entertainment then he's most likely a chubby kid with no friends. Although your OP did immediately make me thing of mean girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Whatever you choose, this site is wear I got my catsuit for a recent costume, which might come in handy for many superheroes:

http://www.dancewearcentral.co.uk/L1...suit-P103.aspx

Personally I would probably go as a hot angel, but that's easier for a boy to do.

Also, ignore this weird troll, if this is what he does for entertainment then he's most likely a chubby kid with no friends. Although your OP did immediately make me thing of mean girls.
    You sound like a cool guy, thanks for the link although I already have one in black from when I did a dance thing. It would be better in another colour though, but I've settled on Lara Croft or slightly slutty pirate if the other outfit fails.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a cool guy, thanks for the link although I already have one in black from when I did a dance thing. It would be better in another colour though, but I've settled on Lara Croft or slightly slutty pirate if the other outfit fails.
    Oh yeah I now see that you already said you were going for Lara Croft.

I am a pretty cool guy.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame Dunbar Costumes doesn't do a lot smaller than a size 10, but I'm definitely looking at Lara Croft now! Thanks a lot and may possibly do a charity shop run. Do you think it's worth hiring? Or is it really expensive :/

Costumes that you hire are generally much better quality because they have to be washed and hired out more than once, and as for price it depends where you go to hire, ours were around £20+ but it depends what are you are in and what kind of quality the costumes are. If you live in a city centre like Liverpool or Manchester you will probably pay a little bit more, but I would say its worth going and having a look in a hire shop.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.