Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I Suffering From Depression? watch

Lately I'm not quite sure if iv'e been suffering from depression. For the past year or so I've generally been in a very negative mood, I immediately snap at people and my parents for the smallest insignificant things, and while i used to have a really good friend that i used to hang out with all the time, I completely abandoned him as we never went out and i generally stopped caring for anyone or anything anymore.

I'm in my last year of the I.B. which is very demanding in the workload you must give in and so I've been solely preoccupied with this work for the past 6 months and haven't had must time for anything else and so i stopped the sports i used to play. But for some reason despite getting good grades, and generally succeeding in my goals, i still feel like my life is void of happiness or any kind of pleasure, as nothing really interests me anymore. Music used to help as it sometimes cheered me up, but now not so much.

Don't get me wrong i don't feel suicidal or have bouts of sadness, its more of an infinite blankness, like my life has become surreal in some way and each day just passes in a haze, as nothing really grabs your attention or interest anymore.

I was just wandering if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and how they got out of it.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been like this?
    Had any suicidal thoughts? (I know you said you aren't suicidal but thoughts are different from suicidal urges.)
    Got any other symptoms?
    You might be stressed. Although your mention of not being interesting by anything anymore could be depression.

You might want to talk to a GP

I was just wandering if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and how they got out of it.
    Well I'm kinda always in a bad mood but mine has been going on for more than two years and well I'm just waiting it out I guess.

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting to the point where you don't want to go on feeling like this and genuinely do'nt think you can pull yourself out of it then you should go and see your doctor and tell them all of that. They'll help you work through it and probably refer you to a counsellor to talk about why you're feeling the 'infinite blankness'. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I've been feeling like this for the past year.
    But tbh, I just think i'm lazy. ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    yeas i beleive you have as you display depressive symptons in the form of dimisished pleasure adn low mood and defecting from day to day life. plus you exceed 6motnhs of occupational dusfunction. i beleive you should seek a doctor or maybe talk to someane before it esclateates

ReputationRep:
    You can't diagnose someone over the internet (people, please stop trying!). OP, please go and see your GP who's qualified and able to give you a yes/no diagnosis. FWIW, I'd say you were, at most, suffering from a mild form of depression, but it can't hurt to go to the docs and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    ffs, that is not depression. Depression is a medical condition. If anything, you probably have a small personality disorder. Most likely you;re just feeling a bit bad. It's one of those things that if you have to ask, you don't have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'm in my last year of the I.B.
    That explains everything^^
    (Sorry if this reply is inadequate... but it had to be done)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.