Turn on thread page Beta

Men who attend the gym, are strong but look fat watch

I see these men in the gym who life all these heavy weights but there is no muscle definition their upper arms just looks like excess fat and flabby yet they are so fit and strong:confused: I wonder how is it possible to be this strong and have been going to the gym so long yet not have any muscles showing, how do guys get bodies that actually look muscly and toned?

ReputationRep:
    they have muscle its jus covered with a layer of fat
    they need to reduce theyr body fat% to look ripped/toned

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can have all the muscle you can possibly have, but on top of that will be fat, to get the definition they'll have to do more cardio and lose the fat to get this "toned" look. hence why u dont see these guys dont have a six pack showing, the muslce will be there but the fats covering up, if you get me. I personally think people who look like that look stupid and when they where clothes etc they can look fatter than they really are

ReputationRep:
    its because they workout hard but eat a huge amount, meaning they build allot of muscle and strength, but allot of fat as well lol. They tend to be the ones who live in the squat rack, and can bench a car lol

ReputationRep:
    Cause if they wanted their muscles to show they would have to eat less and when cutting down fat you are going to lose a bit of muscle too. The guys who look like that are lifting weights to be able to lift bigger weights, not just for the purpose of looking good.

ReputationRep:
    high reps lows kg i think

ReputationRep:
    different body types, The men you probabli see at the gym are what you would refer to as the "endomorph body type", all their fat is stored in their upper body, so they might go to the gym but if they don't do any cardio they'll never loose that fat.

ReputationRep:
    because they're training in a way that builds strength but it doesn't tone up.

ReputationRep:
    Its what happens in the long term when people don't eat properly or have regular exercise in their daily routine. When they feel they want to tone their muscle or lose weight, they have the misconception that lifting weights will do that.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much as everyone says. No cardio, no toning just pure brute muscle building.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the strong men that compete do not looked overy ripped at all. Bit chubby in some cases. But could rip you in half if they wanted.

I found it quite amusing that at a recent strong man event I walked past the tv host was talking to to ripped guys who were topless and showing off and the real strong men were behind them warming up not looking half as toned.

ReputationRep:

That is all.

(Original post by FranticMind)
    Pretty much as everyone says. No cardio, no toning just pure brute muscle building.
    so what would they do to tone up, apart from cardio and eat less..

ReputationRep:
    Some like to just build muscle strength within and not focus on having a toned body with a low BMI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hmmmm to be honest they are the primary ways in which to do it. Reduce fat intake, maybe switch to more carbs?

Although they would already be on a high carb diet no doubt....

Is there a real reason why an indivdual can't do those two?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a few friends who fit this category. I call them the power lifter types. They can lift really heavy weights yet their physique is not exactly that of an athlete.
    They tend to have a high(er) body fat.

To have a ripped muscular look you have to get your body fat % down to a specific figure (at the peak of my physique weight training I was at a body fat of 8%, which I couldn't maintain comfortably but I looked incredibly 'ripped')

They arnt intrested in looking good, they just want to be able to lift a lot of weight and be strong as ****, unlike those pesky bodybuilders curling in my squat rack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    plyometric training! the way forward.

the reason these big fellas don't do the standard cardio is probably they think they're going to burn off the muscle, or...they can't be bothered.

(Original post by [ Parus major ])
    plyometric training! the way forward.

the reason these big fellas don't do the standard cardio is probably they think they're going to burn off the muscle, or...they can't be bothered.
    No, its because being 'ripped' wont help you lift more in a competition, and the time you spend running on a treadmill is time wasted when you could be squatting

ReputationRep:
    Let them do what they like. :dontknow:

Tbh, most of them are more experience that you will ever be.

:unsure:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.