Turn on thread page Beta

Men who attend the gym, are strong but look fat watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I see these men in the gym who life all these heavy weights but there is no muscle definition their upper arms just looks like excess fat and flabby yet they are so fit and strong:confused: I wonder how is it possible to be this strong and have been going to the gym so long yet not have any muscles showing, how do guys get bodies that actually look muscly and toned?
    because they finish their session with a pint and a big mac on the way home

ReputationRep:
    I don't look fat.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best mates is like this. Rugby player - prop - not exactly fat but HUGE. All the "steriods" guys at our gym (the body builders and such, little joke we have) nearly all get put to shame by this guy and he's only 18. I've seen him close grip bench 120kg. He doesn't look toned but you don't want him running at you on the rugby pitch - trust me, it hurts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh snap!)
    high reps lows kg i think
    This,

ReputationRep:
    Everyone on the world's strongest man are a lil round, maybe the gene to favoured muscle growth attributes to fat too?

ReputationRep:
    I see these men in the gym who life all these heavy weights but there is no muscle definition their upper arms just looks like excess fat and flabby yet they are so fit and strong:confused: I wonder how is it possible to be this strong and have been going to the gym so long yet not have any muscles showing, how do guys get bodies that actually look muscly and toned?
    people have different goals in the gymm.. some focus on aesthetics being toned and veiny with muscles popping out of everywhere.. whereas some want to be able to lift heavy like pull buses etc... some want both.. to get muscly and toned you need to make sure you have low body fat at least below 10% or something closer not too sure that makes the muscles appear because there is less fat covering them...

ReputationRep:
    No, its because being 'ripped' wont help you lift more in a competition, and the time you spend running on a treadmill is time wasted when you could be squatting

so every guy that lifts a lot in the gym and is huge and not ripped....is going for Mr olympia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh snap!)
    high reps lows kg i think
    (Original post by Jeester)
    This,
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    No.
    It's basically the first thing you learn in A-level PE, if you want tone, you do high reps with low kgs, if you want strength, it's the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    It's basically the first thing you learn in A-level PE, if you want tone, you do high reps with low kgs, if you want strength, it's the opposite.
    Glad I'm not doing your PE course then.

ReputationRep:
    Then A Level PE is ****. And wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Then A Level PE is ****. And wrong.
    Well you havn't given me anything on the contary and i've seen it in practise... so I think I'm going to believe the A level syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Thats because those guys you're talking about aren't lifting to gain a certain physique (unless they're bodybuilders on an extreme bulking cycle). They lift to gain the maximal strength possible and they don't care what they look like. Trust me, if they cut down on the bodyfat, they would look like bodybuilders but thats not the goal of their spot.
    Take a look at Shane Hamman:
    Pretty fat but he's competed in Olympic weightlifting and for some time (perhaps even until now) he held the world record in the squat.

ReputationRep:
    Well you havn't given me anything on the contary and i've seen it in practise... so I think I'm going to believe the A level syllabus.
    Hey, do what you want, no skin off my nose. But you're wrong. Why would high reps low weight burn more fat than low reps high weight? When you say it's for 'tone', what is it actually doing? Because it's doing bugger all to your muscles.

Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    That is utter b.s.
    Lower rep ranges are indeed better for developing strength but ultimately the way you end up looking is dependent on your diet.
    "Toned" (the word that in my opinion epitomizes fitness ignorance) is a combination of low bodyfat with muscles. There are no rep ranges that help you achieve this, its just diet.
    In fact whenever you hear or see the word "toned" somewhere, completely disregard what is being said there since this is basically the number one fitness myth.
    Unbelievable. Do they teach you "alternatives" to the theory of evolution as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do what you want, no skin off my nose. But you're wrong. Why would high reps low weight burn more fat than low reps high weight? When you say it's for 'tone', what is it actually doing? Because it's doing bugger all to your muscles.

Hmm.
    I never said it did do anything for your muscles, it lowers the amount of fat... meaning the muscles you already have are more prominent...

ReputationRep:
    I never said it did do anything for your muscles, it lowers the amount of fat... meaning the muscles you already have are more prominent...
    No it doesn't, not as such. The only thing that will lower the amount of fat on you is diet. The high reps thing is just....well its simply not true.

ReputationRep:
    You know what lowers the amount of fat you have? Diet and cardio. It has nothing to do with rep ranges. At all. It's pretty funny that A Level PE is teaching you otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teriaki)
    No it doesn't, not as such. The only thing that will lower the amount of fat on you is diet. The high reps thing is just....well its simply not true.
    So basically what you just told me means that once you have the fat you can never get rid of it...

ReputationRep:
    No he didn't. :confused:

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.