Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Men who attend the gym, are strong but look fat Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I think almost every comment before mine has been full of absolute ****. The men you see in the gym lifting large weights but looking rather "fat" look that way because strength training primarily works the central nervous system (CNS) this method of training will allow for increase in raw strength however muscular hypertrophy is not guaranteed. Metabolic training is what most bodybuilders do, it focuses more on volume for growth and hence maximal lifts are not a priority.

At the same time there are some powerlifters in fantastic shape and bodybuilders who post highly impressive numbers. The following are all pretty diesel:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    they are called powerlifters, they don't care about looking ripped they only care about lifting a ton of weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    So you're more out of breath after high reps low weight than you are after the reverse, are you? If you want to get picky, then yes, any movement requires energy. Simply existing requires energy. But high reps low weight won't get your heart rate up enough for anything to happen..

Anyway, bored now. If anyone from the Fitness section bothered to frequent H&R, you'd have alot more than two people telling you that you're wrong, but alas...
    And how many reverses can you keep going? Your heart rate stays quicker with many reps, where as if you were doing things like squats then it will only stay high for a little while and you cannot keep squats on as long.

ReputationRep:
    Lol bish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    It's basically the first thing you learn in A-level PE, if you want tone, you do high reps with low kgs, if you want strength, it's the opposite.
    :facepalm:

you can't spot reduce fat, all this "high reps low weight to tone" is a ******* myth it's one of the first things you learn in basic bodybuilding, to "tone" you need to do cardio (like running, swimming or cycling) and take in fewer calories than you burn off. doing low reps high weight won't get your heart rate up enough to efficiently burn fat.

edit: you shouldn't even be using the word "tone" it is a joke word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where's My Sega?)
    So how many reps can you do consistently with a 15k dumbell?
    The infamous 'high rep low weight' method is what you see women doing under the instruction of misguided personal trainers, curling 2K dumbells while squatting against the wall.
    The only gain I can see from high reps low weight is an increase in muscle endurance, but I wouldn't count on that!
    Bicep curls? I'd be happy with 40, but it depends what I'm doing and I don't spend each and every day in the gym.

ReputationRep:
    And how many reverses can you keep going? Your heart rate stays quicker with many reps, where as if you were doing things like squats then it will only stay high for a little while and you cannot keep squats on as long.
    I'm just gunna go ahead and say 'yes'. Keep toning with those high rep low weight lifts you learnt in A Level PE, dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I see these men in the gym who life all these heavy weights but there is no muscle definition their upper arms just looks like excess fat and flabby yet they are so fit and strong:confused: I wonder how is it possible to be this strong and have been going to the gym so long yet not have any muscles showing, how do guys get bodies that actually look muscly and toned?
    A few of my friends do bodybuilding competitions and all the competitors will eat alot and train hard in order to build muscle mass. This means they need to cut about 2 stone in the week before a competition. This can be done through strict diet, not drinking much fluid or drugs such as Winstrol which reduces your water weight. So many of these guys are ony a couple weeks away from being "ripped". I'm sure you've seen how quickly boxers cut weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddy Jnr)
    A few of my friends do bodybuilding competitions and all the competitors will eat alot and train hard in order to build muscle mass. This means they need to cut about 2 stone in the week before a competition. This can be done through strict diet, not drinking much fluid or drugs such as Winstrol which reduces your water weight. So many of these guys are ony a couple weeks away from being "ripped". I'm sure you've seen how quickly boxers cut weight.
    Which psychopath tries to cut 2 stone in a week?! The cutting phase last at least three months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddy Jnr)
    bodybuilders don't cut 2 stone in the week before, they cut about 1 - 2lbs of fat a week several months before the competition (depending on how much fat they had in the first place), then they dehydrate themselves with 24 hours of the competition, boxers just dehydrate themselves for the weigh ins which are 24 hours before the fight. (some of them burn off fat/muscle before the weigh ins so they don't have to cut too much water weight), cutting for bodybuilding and boxing are different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Wow, I think almost every comment before mine has been full of absolute ****. The men you see in the gym lifting large weights but looking rather "fat" look that way because strength training primarily works the central nervous system (CNS) this method of training will allow for increase in raw strength however muscular hypertrophy is not guaranteed. Metabolic training is what most bodybuilders do, it focuses more on volume for growth and hence maximal lifts are not a priority.

you do know that the central nervous system is the brain and spinal cord?

ReputationRep:
    The fact is apart from a few freaks like Mariusz who always comes up, people perform better and get injured less at a higher level of bodyfat than Men's Health would have you believe.

Leanness is really an aesthetic thing (up to a point), and since everyone has different tastes in aesthetics it's not a surprise that people look different and train to look different, on top of the people who just don't care as they are more interested in performance. You might aswell say
    "I saw a bunch of guys in a shop today but they didn't buy the same colour shirts as me. What are these idiots doing wrong?"

Another thing is that bulk and cut doesn't really work very well for people who haven't spent a long time building up a base, so the lean kids don't look like they lift and the big kids look soft.

ReputationRep:
    The men you see in the gym lifting large weights but looking rather "fat" look that way because strength training primarily works the central nervous system (CNS) this method of training will allow for increase in raw strength however muscular hypertrophy is not guaranteed.

(Original post by [ Parus major ])

What he means is that strength training works to improve how efficiently your CNS recruits muscle fibres in physical activity, which results in quicker and more powerful contractions
    (Well I hope that's what he meant!)

ReputationRep:
    thanks for letting me know genius

ReputationRep:
    It's basically the first thing you learn in A-level PE, if you want tone, you do high reps with low kgs, if you want strength, it's the opposite.
    Were you actually taught this in A-level PE? Or have you just remembered it wrong? Because seriously, I despair if someone teaching A-level PE said "high reps for tone".

ReputationRep:
    thanks for letting me know genius
    no problem!

ReputationRep:
    no problem!
    you must be new to this whole internet thing, dont worry, your time will come.

ReputationRep:

Another thing. Why can't people understand you don't need cardio to go on a cut =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)

Another thing. Why can't people understand you don't need cardio to go on a cut =/
    yeah but it definitely helps, I've tried cutting without doing any cardio and it took forever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)

Well please fill me in on this cardio-less cutting, I am very keen to know what it entails. From both experience and studying I can say that I believe cutting without some form of cardiovascular exercise is nigh impossible. Besides, incorporating cardio is a great way to improve cardiovascular capacity which, for most lifters, is ****.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.