Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Men who attend the gym, are strong but look fat watch

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, it's subjective.

sithius, do you deadlift 350lbs?#

EDIT: Actually 350 is nothing, even i can do that for 3 reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    There are some bodybuilders out there who think it is a sport smart arse.

How is a beauty pageant contestant walking out on stage and looking pretty going through the same amount of physical exertion as someone who constantly deadlifts, say, 350lbs?

Your dictionary is laughable. I hope you are used as an example next to the word idiot.

:facepalm:

The sport is also in the lifting/dieting and preparation... the show is part of it.
    Beauty pageant contestants do training as well. Dancing and singing, choreography, or sorts of stuff. A lot of which requires some significant physical effort. Maybe not as much as bodybuilding, but physical effort all the same.

And physical effort in preparation doesn't qualify it to be a sport. If it did, then a lack of physical effort in preparation would mean something is NOT a sport. But then we have darts, which is more of a sport than bodybuilding.

The training for bodybuilding has nothing to do with the competition of bodybuilding. At all. None.

I don't **** on bodybuilding as much as I used to. I can relate to some aspects of the lifestyle (some) and training is similar (in a way). I do follow it somewhat, and judging your reference to bodybuilders deadlifting 350lbs, I'd say I follow it more than you. I do **** on most of the skinny kids in the gym who claim to do bodybuilding when they have no idea what they're doing, nor do they have any idea that getting stronger will help their goals.

I hate when bodybuilders say, "I don't care if I can bench 500lbs, as long as I look like I can bench 500lbs." That **** pisses me and quite a lot of strong bodybuilders off.

Bodybuilders I like, Robert Burneika, Zach Khan, Stan Efferding, Matt Kroc (wtf?)... all brutally strong.

ReputationRep:
    i only do weights too, and do no toning or cardio, i only look toned because I luckily have a very fast metabalism :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Beauty pageant contestants do training as well. Dancing and singing, choreography, or sorts of stuff. A lot of which requires some significant physical effort. Maybe not as much as bodybuilding, but physical effort all the same.

And physical effort in preparation doesn't qualify it to be a sport. If it did, then a lack of physical effort in preparation would mean something is NOT a sport. But then we have darts, which is more of a sport than bodybuilding.

The training for bodybuilding has nothing to do with the competition of bodybuilding. At all. None.

I don't **** on bodybuilding as much as I used to. I can relate to some aspects of the lifestyle (some) and training is similar (in a way). I do follow it somewhat, and judging your reference to bodybuilders deadlifting 350lbs, I'd say I follow it more than you. I do **** on most of the skinny kids in the gym who claim to do bodybuilding when they have no idea what they're doing, nor do they have any idea that getting stronger will help their goals.

I hate when bodybuilders say, "I don't care if I can bench 500lbs, as long as I look like I can bench 500lbs." That **** pisses me and quite a lot of strong bodybuilders off.

Bodybuilders I like, Robert Burneika, Zach Khan, Stan Efferding, Matt Kroc (wtf?)... all brutally strong.
    Now you would know all about beauty pageants wouldn't you? Anyway, you've just conceded that there certainly is not the same amount of physical exertion required. Nuff said.

LOL at you having no idea what preparation is. Ask Federer if he prepares before a grand slam. They do quite a lot of physical training on the court as well as off the court (cardio and so forth). Dart players also train a fair bit to sharpen their skills. If they didn't, they wouldn't do nearly as well as they actually do.

Golden. So you don't think anybody can deadlift 150kg? Just because you are weak, doesn't mean other people are. Also, notice the use of the word say. Furthermore, good job presuming my knowledge of bodybuilding based off of that one statement.

ReputationRep:
    Now you would know all about beauty pageants wouldn't you? Anyway, you've just conceded that there certainly is not the same amount of physical exertion required. Nuff said.

LOL at you having no idea what preparation is. Ask Federer if he prepares before a grand slam. They do quite a lot of physical training on the court as well as off the court (cardio and so forth). Dart players also train a fair bit to sharpen their skills. If they didn't, they wouldn't do nearly as well as they actually do.

Golden. So you don't think anybody can deadlift 150kg? Just because you are weak, doesn't mean other people are. Also, notice the use of the word say. Furthermore, good job presuming my knowledge of bodybuilding based off of that one statement.
    Well lets take out the failed attacks and examine the rest of your post.

Upon examination, either you REALLY have difficulty following what I said, or I just got trolled hard.

What would make you think I don't understand what prep is? Based on your counter argument, you don't even understand what I've said. Do you? Where have I implied that Federer doesn't prepare for a tournament? Where? Where have I said ANYONE doesn't prepare for an event?

You claimed that bodybuilders, though they don't require physical effort on stage, they do so much hard physical work in training, therefore it's a sport. My argument was that beauty pageant contestants have hard physical work (amongst other things) to train, so is THAT a sport? I mean, at least they dance around in their routines and have different events. They both go to extreme links to look good on stage, so are they both sports?

Using your logic, that hard work in training (even if not at the contest) means it's a sport, then the opposite excludes an activity from being a sport (that a lack of hard physical work negates an activity from being a sport). In other words, your argument would suggest Darts would not be a sport, since flicking a wrist is not hard physical work. But Darts is a sport, or at least more so than bodybuilding.

A sport must have an objective way to determine the winner. If you score more points than the other team/person, you win. If you are faster, stronger or jump higher than another person, you win. Anything else is a show, or contest or pageant as it's SUBJECTIVE.

I'm not digging on bodybuilding here, I'm just telling it like it is. BBing is not a sport.

Do you even know who Matt Kroc is, or what these guys are deadlifting?

I still say I got trolled though. Meh, whatever. Someone may get something out of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    What would make you think I don't understand what prep is? Based on your counter argument, you don't even understand what I've said. Do you? Where have I implied that Federer doesn't prepare for a tournament? Where? Where have I said ANYONE doesn't prepare for an event?

You claimed that bodybuilders, though they don't require physical effort on stage, they do so much hard physical work in training, therefore it's a sport. My argument was that beauty pageant contestants have hard physical work (amongst other things) to train, so is THAT a sport? I mean, at least they dance around in their routines and have different events. They both go to extreme links to look good on stage, so are they both sports?
    You've never witnessed a bodybuilding comp, have you? If you had, then you would know things like this happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1to5JO5-zfY

Please do imply again that bodybuilders don't have any sort of routines like beauty pageant contestants do.

And the answer is still no. Running on a treadmill everyday and making sure you eat under 2000 calories a day or whatever is not the same as having to lift a **** load of weights all the time. It's much easier to do cardio than to do a hard lifting routine. Clearly you've never undergone one to understand this.

(Original post by SMed)
    Using your logic, that hard work in training (even if not at the contest) means it's a sport, then the opposite excludes an activity from being a sport (that a lack of hard physical work negates an activity from being a sport). In other words, your argument would suggest Darts would not be a sport, since flicking a wrist is not hard physical work. But Darts is a sport, or at least more so than bodybuilding.
    Many people call darts a joke sport actually, so don't try and make out that the whole thing is completely agreed on by everyone. Anyway, you are tainting it as simply a 'flick of the wrist'. Is tennis simply 'flicking a racket'? They still have to focus very hard during training, and the same can be said for darts players. The concentration required is immense. There's certainly a physical working of the mind.

(Original post by SMed)
    A sport must have an objective way to determine the winner. If you score more points than the other team/person, you win. If you are faster, stronger or jump higher than another person, you win. Anything else is a show, or contest or pageant as it's SUBJECTIVE.

I'm not digging on bodybuilding here, I'm just telling it like it is. BBing is not a sport.
    Oh for the love of...

Ever heard of figure skating? It is a sport my friend, and it has judges. Your point is void.

(Original post by SMed)
    Do you even know who Matt Kroc is, or what these guys are deadlifting?

I still say I got trolled though. Meh, whatever. Someone may get something out of this.
    More than 350lbs of course, but a bodybuilder may very well be deadlifting that much if they are warming up or whatever.

You did not get trolled, you got pwned. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Modern competitive bodybuilding - Bunch of homos oiled up on stage in banana hammocks half constituted of muscle, half of synthol, on huge rediculous organ destroying cycles who shag watermelons for money

Powerlifting - Bunch of fat homos who chase numbers that no one cares about and have 1 inch ROM due to their huge bellies and propel the weight with their million ply elastic suits using roughly 1.23% of their own effort

Olympic Weightlifting - Using momentum to throw up weights which in turn snap your arm in half and make you piss on the stage floor, dominated by fat chinese womenlets with monobrows and who weigh more than most people here

Strongman - Mutated inbred farmhands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Modern competitive bodybuilding - Bunch of homos oiled up on stage in banana hammocks half constituted of muscle, half of synthol, on huge rediculous organ destroying cycles who shag watermelons for money

Powerlifting - Bunch of fat homos who chase numbers that no one cares about and have 1 inch ROM due to their huge bellies and propel the weight with their million ply elastic suits using roughly 1.23% of their own effort

Olympic Weightlifting - Using momentum to throw up weights which in turn snap your arm in half and make you piss on the stage floor, dominated by fat chinese womenlets with monobrows and who weigh more than most people here

lol, sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    You've never witnessed a bodybuilding comp, have you? If you had, then you would know things like this happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1to5JO5-zfY

Please do imply again that bodybuilders don't have any sort of routines like beauty pageant contestants do.

That's just gimmick. And I laughed so hard, I know I got trolled. And how does this support your argument? Beauty Pageants and Bodybuilding are even more similar than I thought.

And the answer is still no. Running on a treadmill everyday and making sure you eat under 2000 calories a day or whatever is not the same as having to lift a **** load of weights all the time. It's much easier to do cardio than to do a hard lifting routine. Clearly you've never undergone one to understand this.

I know. :confused: Bodybuilders do both. Palumbo has guys doing 3-4 hours of cardio a day. But again, you're being subjective again. What qualifies easier and harder? Who decides? And since this is how you're basing the distinction between BPs and BBing, you probably should define it and let everyone know. How many minutes of cardio a day should separate BBing and BPs? What about calories per day? And how many calories a day do you think BBers have when cutting?

So basically you're saying that they both do the same thing, but since BBers do it... TO TEH MAX!!!!!!11!, they get to be a sport? wtf?

Many people call darts a joke sport actually, so don't try and make out that the whole thing is completely agreed on by everyone. Anyway, you are tainting it as simply a 'flick of the wrist'. Is tennis simply 'flicking a racket'? They still have to focus very hard during training, and the same can be said for darts players. The concentration required is immense. There's certainly a physical working of the mind.

I don't even know what you're arguing here. It has nothing to do with anything, and if you can't follow what's going on then you've got bigger issues than this. Actually, I definitely have bigger issues than this, maybe you don't.

Oh for the love of...

Ever heard of figure skating? It is a sport my friend, and it has judges. Your point is void.

lol, that's arguable. But besides, unlike BBers, skaters' training reflects their competition. Valid.

More than 350lbs of course, but a bodybuilder may very well be deadlifting that much if they are warming up or whatever.

Ok?

You did not get trolled, you got pwned. :cool:

Not quite, but do try and keep up.
    lol, I'm not taking part of your troll-induced shit-fest anymore. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilding is a performing art at best.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if it's a sport or not? It's not like being a "sport" confers any real kudos (though people might think it does). I mean ... golf is a sport, and it's *****!

ReputationRep:
    I know, I know. It's mainly me stirring **** out of boredom.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5&postcount=59

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moley89)

That is all.
    Is this for real, if so how on earth did he get like this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is completely authentic. Humans can grow traps which have insertions at the top of the skull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Oh god, that drives me insane.

POWERBODYBUILDING 4 LIFE SUCKAS!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

LOL

So true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

Ahahahaha Oh god

Have you seen these chinese chicks (I use that term sparingly) during the olympics, they're on some next tings lol :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilding is not a sport!

Some of the comments in this thread have been plain ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    Wow this thread is full of rubbish, still I suppose you get a bunch of kiddies answering a subject them know naff all about that is what happens.

(Original post by Oh snap!)
    high reps lows kg i think
    Fail!

(Original post by Dibs_anim)
    different body types, The men you probabli see at the gym are what you would refer to as the "endomorph body type", all their fat is stored in their upper body, so they might go to the gym but if they don't do any cardio they'll never loose that fat.
    Load of crap, there are very few pure endos out there, meso and ecto bodytypes store fat as well, any human does when in calorific excess.

(Original post by shazada.pathan)
    Its what happens in the long term when people don't eat properly or have regular exercise in their daily routine. When they feel they want to tone their muscle or lose weight, they have the misconception that lifting weights will do that.
    Not it is not, it is what happens when in calorific excess, you could eat nothing but chicken breast, wholegrain rice and veg, but if you exceed the calories you burn you will gain weight.

(Original post by bunty64)
    I've got a few friends who fit this category. I call them the power lifter types. They can lift really heavy weights yet their physique is not exactly that of an athlete.
    They tend to have a high(er) body fat.

To have a ripped muscular look you have to get your body fat % down to a specific figure (at the peak of my physique weight training I was at a body fat of 8%, which I couldn't maintain comfortably but I looked incredibly 'ripped')
    Like this perhaps – A competitive British Powerlifter

Would seem you do not know what you are talking about, only super heavyweight powerlifters do not need to watch their weight

And given there is no accurate way to measure your bodyfat to a % then to say you were 8% is total crap, even the most accurate methods have a 2-3% error margin so again your obviously talking claptrap.

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    One of my best mates is like this. Rugby player - prop - not exactly fat but HUGE. All the "steriods" guys at our gym (the body builders and such, little joke we have) nearly all get put to shame by this guy and he's only 18. I've seen him close grip bench 120kg. He doesn't look toned but you don't want him running at you on the rugby pitch - trust me, it hurts.
    Your gym is full of weak fellas then, 180kg is regularly close gripped in my gym, 120 is a light weight for a strict overhead press – he ain’t all that bub.

(Original post by Wesssty)
    Everyone on the world's strongest man are a lil round, maybe the gene to favoured muscle growth attributes to fat too?
    Yeah, fat *******s often have abs etc

(Original post by [ Parus major ])
    so every guy that lifts a lot in the gym and is huge and not ripped....is going for Mr olympia?
    Wow, another bright spark. Mr Olympia is a bodybuilding show, a physique contest, strongman, powerlifting, weightlifting is totally different, its about maximum weight lifted, nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Wow this thread is full of rubbish, still I suppose you get a bunch of kiddies answering a subject them know naff all about that is what happens.

Fail!

Load of crap, there are very few pure endos out there, meso and ecto bodytypes store fat as well, any human does when in calorific excess.

Not it is not, it is what happens when in calorific excess, you could eat nothing but chicken breast, wholegrain rice and veg, but if you exceed the calories you burn you will gain weight.

Like this perhaps – A competitive British Powerlifter

Would seem you do not know what you are talking about, only super heavyweight powerlifters do not need to watch their weight

And given there is no accurate way to measure your bodyfat to a % then to say you were 8% is total crap, even the most accurate methods have a 2-3% error margin so again your obviously talking claptrap.

Your gym is full of weak fellas then, 180kg is regularly close gripped in my gym, 120 is a light weight for a strict overhead press – he ain’t all that bub.

Yeah, fat *******s often have abs etc

Wow, another bright spark. Mr Olympia is a bodybuilding show, a physique contest, strongman, powerlifting, weightlifting is totally different, its about maximum weight lifted, nothing more.
    With regards to your comment about the muscular looking powerlifter; I'm not saying that powerlifters can't have muscular physiques with low body fat percentages, but on the world powerlifting scene, you hardly ever see guys and gals with that sort of muscular lean physique

You seem to have a thorn up your Ars*! I didn't metion the accuracy of body fat measurement but fat caliphers do give a fairly accurate measurement of body fat (be it with its margin of error)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.