Turn on thread page Beta

Stock Market - Not a clue how to start off!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have £20 I would like to put in stocks. I would like to learn how to do this. I'm a beginner and I need help!

Is there a certain site I should use?

ReputationRep:
    Invest in some penny stocks.
    Although you'll have to set up an account with a broker etc and a lot of the time the act of selling/buying stocks will cost upwards of £20.

Before I started I just pretended to have invested money in companies i.e. I had X amount of money, invested Y of that to company B, and Z of it into company C.
    I would then monitor the shares find out how much I had made/lost. That's a great way of doing things at the start as it lets you feel your way around.

Oh and I lost a **** load of $ thanks to Obama the other day, prick.

http://www.pennystocksshares.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)

He's not a prick, you're just not forward thinking. Anybody with half a brain saw that coming a mile off, and weeks ahead.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to need a fair bit more than £20 to play the stock market for real. Think in the region of £1,000.

ReputationRep:
    BY LOW SELL HIGH

And i agree that £20 is not alot to get started with.
    Few tips from the future of gaming, stay away from nintendo, go for activision programings. *nod nod, wink wink*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    He's not a prick, you're just not forward thinking. Anybody with half a brain saw that coming a mile off, and weeks ahead.
    All my stocks were out of any area he directly affected. I still had to pay a decent amount of money to pull them out though which is something I would rather not have had to do.

ReputationRep:
    If I started the day with say £40. And ended with £44 I would be well happy! After all, I am a student. But I looked at this site and it looks good. My budget is low though!!!

ReputationRep:
    how much would one need to start off?

ReputationRep:
    Spread betting would be your best bet, but its by far the most risky. You could lose your £40 in 2 minuets if you get it wrong.

Buying shares would be silly with £40, you pay £12 commission on each transaction. So by the time you've bought and sold the shares you've spent £24 already. Meaning that to make £4 profit you would in fact have to earn £28, or a 60-odd% profit!

ReputationRep:
    practice on bullbearings.co.uk for free

when u have a good understanding then go into real life trading
    gd luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You're going to need a fair bit more than £20 to play the stock market for real. Think in the region of £1,000.
    This. Consider the commission you have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areusureaboutthat)
    how much would one need to start off?
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    Don't. It's just gambling unless you have some kind of inside knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Its not worth investing in shares directly because you can expect to pay at least £7.50 commission per trade. You can sometimes invest in funds commission free. Try making an account at www.share.com and have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Learn anything and everything about the psychology of the markets. Then take your £40.00 and turn it into 5,6,7 figures. I have seen this done many times. Become a master of your own destiny - do not let anyone discourage you!

Some good places to kick-off:
    www.trade2win.com
    www.elitetrader.com

ReputationRep:
    useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epud)
    Don't. It's just gambling unless you have some kind of inside knowledge.
    ugh
    rage rage rage
    where do I start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Invest in some penny stocks.
    Although you'll have to set up an account with a broker etc and a lot of the time the act of selling/buying stocks will cost upwards of £20.

Before I started I just pretended to have invested money in companies i.e. I had X amount of money, invested Y of that to company B, and Z of it into company C.
    I would then monitor the shares find out how much I had made/lost. That's a great way of doing things at the start as it lets you feel your way around.

STAY WELL CLEAR OF PENNY SHARES. YOU WILL BE EATEN ALIVE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    ugh
    rage rage rage
    where do I start?

Nah, put the efficient market hypothesis to bed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyb)
    STAY WELL CLEAR OF PENNY SHARES. YOU WILL BE EATEN ALIVE!
    yeah completely agree
    as a beginner you would probably chicken out when you realise the spread makes you lose 10% of an investment...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.