Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stock Market - Not a clue how to start off!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have £20 I would like to put in stocks. I would like to learn how to do this. I'm a beginner and I need help!

Is there a certain site I should use?

ReputationRep:
    Invest in some penny stocks.
    Although you'll have to set up an account with a broker etc and a lot of the time the act of selling/buying stocks will cost upwards of £20.

Before I started I just pretended to have invested money in companies i.e. I had X amount of money, invested Y of that to company B, and Z of it into company C.
    I would then monitor the shares find out how much I had made/lost. That's a great way of doing things at the start as it lets you feel your way around.

Oh and I lost a **** load of $ thanks to Obama the other day, prick.

http://www.pennystocksshares.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)

He's not a prick, you're just not forward thinking. Anybody with half a brain saw that coming a mile off, and weeks ahead.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to need a fair bit more than £20 to play the stock market for real. Think in the region of £1,000.

ReputationRep:
    BY LOW SELL HIGH

And i agree that £20 is not alot to get started with.
    Few tips from the future of gaming, stay away from nintendo, go for activision programings. *nod nod, wink wink*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    He's not a prick, you're just not forward thinking. Anybody with half a brain saw that coming a mile off, and weeks ahead.
    All my stocks were out of any area he directly affected. I still had to pay a decent amount of money to pull them out though which is something I would rather not have had to do.

ReputationRep:
    If I started the day with say £40. And ended with £44 I would be well happy! After all, I am a student. But I looked at this site and it looks good. My budget is low though!!!

ReputationRep:
    how much would one need to start off?

ReputationRep:
    Spread betting would be your best bet, but its by far the most risky. You could lose your £40 in 2 minuets if you get it wrong.

Buying shares would be silly with £40, you pay £12 commission on each transaction. So by the time you've bought and sold the shares you've spent £24 already. Meaning that to make £4 profit you would in fact have to earn £28, or a 60-odd% profit!

ReputationRep:
    practice on bullbearings.co.uk for free

when u have a good understanding then go into real life trading
    gd luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You're going to need a fair bit more than £20 to play the stock market for real. Think in the region of £1,000.
    This. Consider the commission you have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areusureaboutthat)
    how much would one need to start off?
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    Don't. It's just gambling unless you have some kind of inside knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Its not worth investing in shares directly because you can expect to pay at least £7.50 commission per trade. You can sometimes invest in funds commission free. Try making an account at www.share.com and have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Learn anything and everything about the psychology of the markets. Then take your £40.00 and turn it into 5,6,7 figures. I have seen this done many times. Become a master of your own destiny - do not let anyone discourage you!

Some good places to kick-off:
    www.trade2win.com
    www.elitetrader.com

ReputationRep:
    useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epud)
    Don't. It's just gambling unless you have some kind of inside knowledge.
    ugh
    rage rage rage
    where do I start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Invest in some penny stocks.
    Although you'll have to set up an account with a broker etc and a lot of the time the act of selling/buying stocks will cost upwards of £20.

Before I started I just pretended to have invested money in companies i.e. I had X amount of money, invested Y of that to company B, and Z of it into company C.
    I would then monitor the shares find out how much I had made/lost. That's a great way of doing things at the start as it lets you feel your way around.

STAY WELL CLEAR OF PENNY SHARES. YOU WILL BE EATEN ALIVE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    ugh
    rage rage rage
    where do I start?

Nah, put the efficient market hypothesis to bed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyb)
    STAY WELL CLEAR OF PENNY SHARES. YOU WILL BE EATEN ALIVE!
    yeah completely agree
    as a beginner you would probably chicken out when you realise the spread makes you lose 10% of an investment...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.