Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Biology A2 Unit 4 2010 Paper SHOCK! watch

• View Poll Results: What should happen next?
    Take out the questions not on the syllabus
    35.19%
    Award a grade higher
    35.19%
    Just resit it again in June
    29.63%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swaying Eel)
    The course is also non-synoptic, i.e. we don't need to know about previous units (I think the nitrogen cycle was in it last year?).

:beer:
    It's not in the AS either...

ReputationRep:
    HOPEFULLY LOW GRADE BOUNDARIES...
    but how low can they go =/ ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swaying Eel)
    The course is also non-synoptic, i.e. we don't need to know about previous units (I think the nitrogen cycle was in it last year?). If it was mentioned, I, and all the rest of us, would have revised it.
    :beer:
    No your wrong, the course WAS synoptic. My teacher sat next to the guy who wrote the paper at a conference and he wouldn't give anything away except for the fact that we need to know the AS sylabus aswell, hence the little ittalic bits in brackets refering to last years book. He said that would be a large part of the exam, for instance if you were doing a question about the life cycle of a retrovirus you would have to mention the trigger word 'exocytosis' to get the mark and sure enough I just checked the book, "exocytosis (see AS biology page 109)".

Sorry I couldn't tell you sooner

ReputationRep:
    whoever was asking we do new snab biology and we ahve the orange book not the green one pictured in the facebook group. is this the same course? our book doesnt even have a picture of cowpat. it only mentions bodies and gives no idications that the same decomposition processes apply elsewhere pr that we needed to know this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it is the same course, The green book is non-SNUB edexcel paper, they just posted the normal book and it seems that on both papers most of the questions were the same.

our book doesn't have anything about cowpats or much about decompisition in it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJ_in_the_fridge)
    No your wrong, the course WAS synoptic. My teacher sat next to the guy who wrote the paper at a conference and he wouldn't give anything away except for the fact that we need to know the AS sylabus aswell, hence the little ittalic bits in brackets refering to last years book. He said that would be a large part of the exam, for instance if you were doing a question about the life cycle of a retrovirus you would have to mention the trigger word 'exocytosis' to get the mark and sure enough I just checked the book, "exocytosis (see AS biology page 109)".

Sorry I couldn't tell you sooner
    Hmmmm, that's a bit sneaky in that case. In the spcification it doesn't say it is synoptic, unlike the chemistry one, which clear says "SYNOPTIC" on the specification and on the front of the exam it has it in huge letters.

*******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiv583)
    whoever was asking we do new snab biology and we ahve the orange book not the green one pictured in the facebook group. is this the same course? our book doesnt even have a picture of cowpat. it only mentions bodies and gives no idications that the same decomposition processes apply elsewhere pr that we needed to know this.
    hiya i do snab aswell! and it is the same course, it's just a different way of describing the syllabus, and the tasks are more applying your knowledge rather that straight forward but apparently in the other textbook there's just a picture of a cow pat and just has a sentence about decomposers breaking it down

ReputationRep:
    anyone got the edexcel paper for unit 4??

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1150266

That's the paper. Wasn't THAT hard.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous paper. Cow pats?? REALLY?? I ended up with a really low mark, even though i had A's at AS. Unfair

ReputationRep:
    How'd yall do?

ReputationRep:
    Got a B Even though it was a crap B 84/120 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hope this doesn't happen in June. I found the boundaries to be quite low, though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the markscheme for this paper? Annoying paper, got a low mark although I'm pretty certain I didn't do as bad as that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluestarlulu)
    Anyone got the markscheme for this paper? Annoying paper, got a low mark although I'm pretty certain I didn't do as bad as that!
    I know how you feel! I was getting A's until this paper (I got an E, even though looking at the mark scheme I know I answered all the questions and feel sure I got the majority right! Grrrrr... My face was like this when I got the result: :eek:
    Bring on the resits...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil huni)
    I know how you feel! I was getting A's until this paper (I got an E, even though looking at the mark scheme I know I answered all the questions and feel sure I got the majority right! Grrrrr... My face was like this when I got the result: :eek:
    Bring on the resits...
    I know I was pretty shocked myself. And I thought I did so well..ahh I seriously cant take going through all the viruses and bacteria issues again You saw the markscheme? Can you please give it to me if you have it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluestarlulu)
    You saw the markscheme? Can you please give it to me if you have it?
    It's not the official markscheme, just the answers my teacher came up with. Then again, he's often wrong... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Is this biology paper or a statistical biology paper

ReputationRep:
    Go look at the January 2010 paper. It's not as bad as it was claimed to be.

Besides that putrefaction thing, even though we didn't have to learn Nitrogen cycle in our spec we learnt it before in GCSE or wherever. We don't just start doing A Levels without a proper base. And besides, one could have easily deduced that organic nitrogen compounds would be converted to ammonia which the question actually asks for.

The only crazy questions for me include the one which asks you to explain DNA profiling/PCR and the HIV one with CD4 lymphocytes.

ReputationRep:
    Well lets hope this one is ok I messed up too really was expecting an A but got an E imagine the surprise!!! But we shall see!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.