Turn on thread page Beta

Customer at work has ruined my day... and my employee track record. Really upset :( watch

Anon or delete

I am so upset right now. I left work and just broke down in my car.

I started a new job a few weeks ago and today at work, I was serving this man and woman (oldish) at the cash wrap and they finished up and paid. Two minutes later, I saw the woman storm over to the other side of the store where three other staff members were stood doing something, and she seemed really angry. I knew from the way the other staff members were glancing at me that she was talking about me.

This went on for about two minutes, with her finishing by shouting ''IT'S NOT GOOD!''

I spent the next hour really upset, pretending not to be affected by it, even though I barely knew what had happened as noone told me anything.

I eventually asked one of the three staff members what had happened, and yep... the customer was *****ing about ME saying I was unfriendly at the till point etc. completely untrue - she basically threw her purchases onto the till and I know from having worked retail before that this usually means the customer does not want to engage...

Anyway, I am heartbroken! I am fairly new, and it was humiliating to have a customer *****ing about me to my colleagues just yards away :mad:

I feel so stupid! Other people have been there years and never had complaints, I've been there two weeks and already had a nasty complaint off a customer!

I seriously feel sad for the customer - what kind of nasty person goes and makes those kind of remarks to other staff (two of which were my supervisors) ... doesn't she know the implications for me?

What she bought came to teh grand total of 7.99 - get a grip! What does she expect? Hugs and kisses? We all work very long, tiring days there, it's hard to be hyped up all the time.

I feel really upset by this.

How can I stop taking my problems with work home with me, as I am still really pissed off and upset even now I am home!!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, some old people just rant to anyone about anything because they have nothing better to do!

When you knew she was talking about you, you should have gone over and asked her what she was banging on about (unless you actually where rude)

You will get over it, you cant please everyone; tbh she sounds like one of them old hags that walk around shoving people out of the way and and pushing to the front of lines.

I know how you feel. Someone phoned my boss and made a formal complaint because I was 'abrupt' at the till. She had been patronizing and unfriendly herself so I don't know what she expected grrrrrrr.

ReputationRep:
    Customers have no souls. :P Welcome to retail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete

I started a new job a few weeks ago and today at work, I was serving this man and woman (oldish) at the cash wrap and they finished up and paid. Two minutes later, I saw the woman storm over to the other side of the store where three other staff members were stood doing something, and she seemed really angry. I knew from the way the other staff members were glancing at me that she was talking about me.

This went on for about two minutes, with her finishing by shouting ''IT'S NOT GOOD!''

I spent the next hour really upset, pretending not to be affected by it, even though I barely knew what had happened as noone told me anything.

I eventually asked one of the three staff members what had happened, and yep... the customer was *****ing about ME saying I was unfriendly at the till point etc. completely untrue - she basically threw her purchases onto the till and I know from having worked retail before that this usually means the customer does not want to engage...

Anyway, I am heartbroken! I am fairly new, and it was humiliating to have a customer *****ing about me to my colleagues just yards away :mad:

I feel so stupid! Other people have been there years and never had complaints, I've been there two weeks and already had a nasty complaint off a customer!

I seriously feel sad for the customer - what kind of nasty person goes and makes those kind of remarks to other staff (two of which were my supervisors) ... doesn't she know the implications for me?

What she bought came to teh grand total of 7.99 - get a grip! What does she expect? Hugs and kisses? We all work very long, tiring days there, it's hard to be hyped up all the time.

How can I stop taking my problems with work home with me, as I am still really pissed off and upset even now I am home!!
    Firstly, :console:

Secondly, what were your colleagues like? Were they supportive or did you get into trouble for it?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I work retail and i hate the vast majority of the customers. My respect for someone who gets complaints could only rise. It would have been obvious to everyone that the insane ***** was just a walking advert for forced euthanasia and as such no one will take her seriously.

ReputationRep:
    This really comes with the territory in retail. Some customers come in and just want an argument whatever you do.
    Managers are usually sympathetic as long as you did your job. Basically as long as you didn't tell the customer to **** off, only thought it in your head! you will be fine.
    Don't worry about it, I am sure you are lovely and that old hag probably just had her ovaries fall out.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it, I know it might seem like others have been working there ages and not had complaints, but even if they say that is the case they are probably lying! My mum works in retail and she gets complaints about her all the time, even though she's the supervisor, but so does everyone she works with. I remember when I used to work in a shop I used to get really grotty customers quite often as well. It's just the rotten bit of working in retail, as there will always be customers who are just idiots. If anything you should just feel sorry for them that their life is that bad they've got nothing better to do than just complain!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't let it bother you. It's just one customer. They'll doubtless have forgotten about it by now so you should do the same. Hell, i'm surprised people have worked there for 3 years and not had even one complaint.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh people are *****, Im instinctively rude back to people who are rude to me, someone complained to my manager in a summer job, that I was rude to her, which I was. but my manager was incredulous and thought there must be some kind of mistake because I had everyone at work charmed

ReputationRep:
    Go here: http://notalwaysright.com/
    A site where people post funny quotes from stupid customers. =]
    Might make you feel better!

ReputationRep:
    seriously don't worry, its not a formal complaint since its not in writing or anything so your track record is fine
    and besides, she sounds like a crazy person, and your supervisers (who have been working in retail for ages) have probably experienced this quite a bit.
    i've worked part time in a supermarket for 2 years, and some customers love me (as in... go out of their way to tell someone how nice i am :P ) where as some are just mental. blame me for their bills being too high etc.
    thats sadly what people are like! don't let it get you down!

ReputationRep:
    OP (((hugs))). Honestly dont let this get to you. I used to work in retail and believe me, I met some god awful people!. Seriously its that kind of job that makes you really hate the general public and the way they treat people that work in shops. Some of them are just ******** and have no consideration for those behind the counter/till etc.I used to come home ranting and raving about some of the customers!!.

Let it go , I know its hard, and chalk it up to experience.Things will get better, I promise.

ReputationRep:
    Forget about it, at least you're normal. Try and laugh it off with your colleagues but I doubt they'll even pay too much attention to it.

(Original post by Annie72)
    OP (((hugs))). Honestly dont let this get to you. I used to work in retail and believe me, I met some god awful people!. Seriously its that kind of job that makes you really hate the general public and the way they treat people that work in shops. Some of them are just ******** and have no consideration for those behind the counter/till etc.I used to come home ranting and raving about some of the customers!!.

Let it go , I know its hard, and chalk it up to experience.Things will get better, I promise.
    The thing is, I work for a brand that really 'goes' for customer service, and I guess I wasn't as happy as usual at the cash wrap as I should have been, but as I said, they are long tiring days.

I was just upset to have been victimised by her.

Should I bring it up with the staff tomorrow? It's just, had I not asked what she was making a scene about, none of the other staff would have told me.. they didn't mention it to me :confused:

I was also just shocked at how anyone could be so mean and heartyless as to go out of their way to try to get an employee either sacked or given a warning. Who the **** goes into a shop and badmouths an employee to their colleagues? It was really humiliating! I wanted to let rip there and then, but obviously didn't, waited till I got out of the store!

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete

~I had this when I started working probably around a mounth into it.. some nasty customer complained..I werent that bothered at the time.. I carried on and kept a smile on my face however I carried on being nice to customers and what do you know proving all the friggin managers wrong on the student survey my name by 3 different customers were extremely happy with the service I gave... I bet the person who *****ed about you was fat and probably short they generally are they have a chip on their shoulderr...

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it

You OFTEN will get VERY difficult customers when you are working... I don't really want to call these people DUMB (at least having some sort of relative arrested for defecating in public*) but you know ^^. People just like to complain to make them feel better about themselves and think they are the centre of all attention...

I should show you an E-mail my Father recieved from an angry customer and I quote (note the spelling mistake)

.... "...the most incompetant f*****g worker I have ever come across... Should be sacked immediately" ect...

Just keep on truckin', it's not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, I work for a brand that really 'goes' for customer service, and I guess I wasn't as happy as usual at the cash wrap as I should have been, but as I said, they are long tiring days.

I was just upset to have been victimised by her.

Should I bring it up with the staff tomorrow? It's just, had I not asked what she was making a scene about, none of the other staff would have told me.. they didn't mention it to me :confused:
    This is going to sound really weird but, there are some customers who regularly shop in some place and when they see a new face they like to cause trouble for the new employee.Honestly, I have met people like this.:mad: .

I wouldnt say anything tbh, your collegues havent said anything....so maybe she is always causing trouble for staff??.Dont justify yourself to anyone, I know exactly how hard it is to keep smiling when inside you really dont feel like it.

(Original post by wardle1337)
    Don't worry about it

You OFTEN will get VERY difficult customers when you are working... I don't really want to call these people DUMB (at least having some sort of relative arrested for defecating in public*) but you know ^^. People just like to complain to make them feel better about themselves and think they are the centre of all attention...

I should show you an E-mail my Father recieved from an angry customer and I quote (note the spelling mistake)

.... "...the most incompetant f*****g worker I have ever come across... Should be sacked immediately" ect...

Just keep on truckin', it's not the end of the world
    Cheers for that, really made me feel better! You're right; they do just like to be the centre of attention and look 'cool' by putting someone else down. I guess I should just grit my teeth and not speak of it again :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.