Turn on thread page Beta

Customer at work has ruined my day... and my employee track record. Really upset :( watch

(Original post by Annie72)
    This is going to sound really weird but, there are some customers who regularly shop in some place and when they see a new face they like to cause trouble for the new employee.Honestly, I have met people like this.:mad: .

I wouldnt say anything tbh, your collegues havent said anything....so maybe she is always causing trouble for staff??.Dont justify yourself to anyone, I know exactly how hard it is to keep smiling when inside you really dont feel like it.
    Thanks Annie. Apparantly this customer had said she'd ''shopped here for years'' etc. etc. I felt so bad inside, so I think I'm just not going to speak of it, unless someone asks me about it.

ReputationRep:
    Try working in McDonalds. I get this everyday!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it! You will always have customers like that! Unfortunately that just goes with working with people. Don't let it knock your confidence, just carry on as you were. You were probably doing fine and the stupid ***** just needed someone to blame for a bad day or something!
    Hugs

ReputationRep:
    Retail can be horrible at times, just ignore those sorts of customers and have a joke with others

ReputationRep:
    S**t happens. You get used to it in retail, smile, and carry on as if nowt happened. Its nothing personal. Generally managers completely understand and wont care unless its a problem which comes up a few times, certainly in your situation they wont hold it against you.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

It's ok, nothing will happen to you, and I doubt anyone will take her seriously. Some people really are just so ignorant and evil.

A recent example I had at my work was a woman entered the restaurant on her phone, continued to talk and ignore the staff all the way through being seated and catered to. The place is busy and packed, so we all went off to help other customers. After finishing her very important conversation she beckoned me over and demanded she move table to the one I was clearing. I had to say no, she was already seated and the table was reserved for other customers - full restaurant.

Two minutes later she loudly stomps out shouting about abysmal service and rude staff. :rolleyes: No idea what had occured between her ears, but she was laughed out of the place by staff and customers alike.

ReputationRep:
    She ought to get a life. I mean even if someone serving didn't crack a smile and lay out the red carpet when I made a purchase I would never moan because it's someones job, for all she knew the manager could have fired you because of what she said.

I came across a rude assistant at marks and spencers when I was in there doing my shopping who was very abrupt but I just gave her one of my looks, never would I have said nowt to her supervisor as I have better things to do .

ReputationRep:
    Dont' worry about it. In 5 months' time youll' have completely forgotten about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Cheers for that, really made me feel better! You're right; they do just like to be the centre of attention and look 'cool' by putting someone else down. I guess I should just grit my teeth and not speak of it again :yep:
    Thanks

Hope stuff goes well

ReputationRep:
    find out where that old hag works and cause a scene

ReputationRep:
    At least you don't have to work with drunks every night.

ReputationRep:
    Read fmylife.com , your life doesn't sound so bad now D:

(Original post by Ministerdonut)
    She ought to get a life. I mean even if someone serving didn't crack a smile and lay out the red carpet when I made a purchase I would never moan because it's someones job, for all she knew the manager could have fired you because of what she said.

I came across a rude assistant at marks and spencers when I was in there doing my shopping who was very abrupt but I just gave her one of my looks, never would I have said nowt to her supervisor as I have better things to do .
    That's exactly what I thought! Not that it makes a difference, but she was buying a ******* sale item for 7.99! What did she expect?? Why are some people so evil and horrible? I could have been fired, had I had a really horrible manager.

I am just scared I will get a warning. I know my supervisor will have put this in my ''staff file'' and now I'm worried I'll get a warning or something

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry OP, I know how you feel. I hate customers who deliberately go out of their way to make you feel bad. Today we had a woman in who wouldn't leave the shop when her PIN number wouldn't work on the machine. It doesn't give us an explanation, so there's nothing you can do. I just tell customers to go to their bank and most say this is fine, but this woman today, she got so mad at my friend, who could not do anything about it. She was shouting and all the senior staff were there. It was awful. My friend cried for ages after Some people just are horrible. Welcome to retail, it's worth it for the friends you make at the shop though.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I will never work in retail again. Don't worry about it, life's too short. Your seniors will have experienced this MANY times before and will probably be suprisingly understanding. If not, quit. Seriously, if it's that bad you can do without it. You will be fine. Watch tv, eat some chocolate and have a bath. All will seem fine after a good nights sleep!

(Original post by Jose1989)
    This is why I will never work in retail again. Don't worry about it, life's too short. Your seniors will have experienced this MANY times before and will probably be suprisingly understanding. If not, quit. Seriously, if it's that bad you can do without it. You will be fine. Watch tv, eat some chocolate and have a bath. All will seem fine after a good nights sleep!
    Thanks :hugs: I am thinking maybe this woman has a chip on her shoulder or something? It's a fashionable clothing store/chain I work for, so maybe she is jealous of my youth and fashion sense? lol!

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhhhhhh yes i've worked on checkouts and its basically a living death

the best way to get through it is to pretend to care and most importantly, angle the blame toward your manager, saying this is how you've been trained etc etc

keep on going, take everything with a smile! don't take nuffin to heart

ReputationRep:
    If it was my store I would have encouraged you to argue with her until she ****** off. Its the only way these low life morons are going to learn about customer service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks :hugs: I am thinking maybe this woman has a chip on her shoulder or something? It's a fashionable clothing store/chain I work for, so maybe she is jealous of my youth and fashion sense? lol!
    Yeah, exactly! The kind of people who complain for no proper reason are insecure and need a boost of power! She's just a sad old woman so don't waste anymore time thinking about her!

ReputationRep:
    if it hasn't already been said, notalwaysright.com will genuinely cheer you up, i think i must have read every single post on there!

i work in retail too, i have never had it as bad as you but you do get some *****y bloody people there!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.