Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the medium for sounds waves and light waves and how do they travel through their medium?

ReputationRep:
    Sound waves travel through matter and light simply travels through space i.e. it doesn't require a medium like sound does. What do you mean by "how do they travel through their medium"?

ReputationRep:
    I mean How does sound waves travel through their medium.

Here is the original question: State the mediums for a sound wave and light wave in air and explain how sound waves travel through their medium.

ReputationRep:
    For sound waves: molecules oscillate in simple harmonic motion and collide with adjacent molecules.

To reiterate TheNack's point, yes, light waves do not need a medium to propagate through, unlike sound which needs a lot of particles so they can vibrate and transfer the energy.

ReputationRep:
    Ok Thanks ALOT!! Last Question I need to ask is:
    a) A man claps his hands on a hilltop.
    He hears the echo 0.7 S later.
    (i) If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how far away was the surface from which the sound rebounded?

This is what I did: Speed= Distance (Divide) Time.
    340= Distance (Divide) Time.
    and just rearange.

Can you show me how you do it and give me your answear thanks.

Regarding "how" sound waves travel through air, it may be worth mentioning that the waves are longitudinal, that is to say, pressure waves. The same is true for sound in water and solids, but in solids the waves can also be transverse. Light is also a transverse wave.

In the calculation, the distance you calculate will be twice the answer because the sound has to travel there and back.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.