Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For my A Levels I plan to pick Biology, Psychology, R.E and either History or one of the two English subjects (Literature/Language)
    I heard Literature is more respected by uni's so I'm edging towards Literature. However, at GCSE I'm getting B's because I can never finish the stupid exam in time. My teacher says everything I write is spot on, the only problem is that I always miss out on marks by not finishing.

I don't take GCSE History but I heard you do debates, essays structered in arguments etc., and it seems interesting.

What subject would you recommend? If you take the subjects, how do you find them?

My A Level English exam board is WJEC, never heard of it before.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Got A in both Lit and History at GCSE so took them both at A level. I found history too boring - the topics we did sempt really not interesting at all. Where-as Lit, yes still a bit boring with shakespeare seems to place more emphasis on individual work, mainly because of the coursework. History has one personal study in the second year though.

It's up to you what you take, maybe history at your college will be different to history at mine.

ReputationRep:
    Pick English Lit!
    I love it.
    I got a B at gcse and the gap between as and gcse isn't that big,
    I'm actually doing better at this level than at gcse.

I had the same problem in the exam; I used to ramble on.
    But I had to learn not to waffle, especially when it comes to the coursework.

History is really hard at A level,
    my friend does it and is really struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Bartram)
    Got A in both Lit and History at GCSE so took them both at A level. I found history too boring - the topics we did sempt really not interesting at all. Where-as Lit, yes still a bit boring with shakespeare seems to place more emphasis on indivigual work, mainly because of the coursework. History has one personal study in the second year though.

It's up to you what you take, maybe history at your college will be different to history at mine.
    What units did you do at your sixth form? In AQA, the units we cover are totalitarian ideology, (Stalin, Mussoloni and other dictatorship styles) Britain and appeasement (Hitler , Chamberlain etc.) and International relations in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    Do History :yy:
    Or both?

But History is better...

ReputationRep:
    I do both at A level but if I had to pick one it would be probably be English. I prefer History but, to me at least, it's a lot harder than English. It really depends on what you want to do at uni though

ReputationRep:
    I did lang and lit combined, but the lit side was far more interesting. And I preferred it to A Level history - that was ok, but soooo many dates and things to remember! I found english just mroe creative really, so it was more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Pick English Lit!
    I love it.

Would you say the coursework is easier than the exams?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    History is a great A level. I actually disliked history in secondary school until year 9, so i wouldnt say im all that biased. But i do intend to do it at uni....

check out what you cover in the course you do at your college, from there decide which course you think you will enjoy the most!

History imo is not a particularly hard A level, philosophy on the other hand though......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FootPrints)
    I do both at A level but if I had to pick one it would be probably be English. I prefer History but, to me at least, it's a lot harder than English. It really depends on what you want to do at uni though
    Not sure what to do in Uni yet, I just want to keep my options open

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Pick English Lit!
    I love it.

But by contrast I'm doing far worse at A Level in English Lit than I did at GCSE (A* at GCSE, two marks off an A at AS ), and better at History (A* at A Level, A at AS). I find History a lot more interesting than English Lit too.

OP, pick whichever you're best at and enjoy the most, as English Lit and History are both equally respected.

ReputationRep:
    I love Eng Lit, more useful! However, you might find it hard to get As, dunno, so maybe History - though it can be boring... ENGLISH LIT!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D0LLxo)
    What units did you do at your sixth form? In AQA, the units we cover are totalitarian ideology, (Stalin, Mussoloni and other dictatorship styles) Britain and appeasement (Hitler , Chamberlain etc.) and International relations in year 13.
    I only did AS. We did Britains foreign policy and Italian unification. I didn't find unification so bad, it was just the foreign policy that i didn't like.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say the coursework is easier than the exams?
    Thanks.
    I'd say they are both quite easy tbh.
    I haven't done an actual exam, just timed essays and I got A's and B's in them.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what to do in Uni yet, I just want to keep my options open
    Well both are pretty general anyway, so do which ever one you prefer and think you'll do well in :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    I think History is a fantastic subject in general and well worth knowing something about.. both of my modules are pretty interesting and we have a great teacher which helps alot.
    HOWEVER, the whole "mark scheme" situ can be a little tiresome- you do have to argue in essays but normally you have to argue a set view, they're not particularly interested in any different personal opinions. And the amount of debate you do is hugely dependant on the teacher you get.

The whole finishing your writing in time will be a problem whichever you do, History exams are a lot of writing and possibly harder than in English lit exams (well, I found they were)

I don't know about English first-hand, but I reckon from what I hear (and my school does WJEC) that you have to be able to get really into literature and poetry and stuff or you'll want to hang yourself from all the analysis. But it's a good a level to have under your belt and some people really enjoy it :yep:

(...my personal advice would be to drop psychology (it's BS) and do both, though :p:)

ReputationRep:
    For my A Levels I plan to pick Biology, Psychology, R.E and either History or one of the two English subjects (Literature/Language)
    I heard Literature is more respected by uni's so I'm edging towards Literature. However, at GCSE I'm getting B's because I can never finish the stupid exam in time. My teacher says everything I write is spot on, the only problem is that I always miss out on marks by not finishing.

I don't take GCSE History but I heard you do debates, essays structered in arguments etc., and it seems interesting.

What subject would you recommend? If you take the subjects, how do you find them?

My A Level English exam board is WJEC, never heard of it before.
    Thanks.
    What do you call an argument? I would not by any means say that it was very debate related if I'm honest. Well sure you argue in an essay one way or the other, but you can do that in pretty much any essay based subject. If you are generally interested in the History and what happened then just do it and find out for yourself. However, if you want to debate and argue, take Philosophy, Philosophy is without a doubt my favourite subject and I look forward to studying it at University. We study How we have knowledge, free will vs determinism, why be moral?, Knowledge of the world and things like that. Back on track, if its the History you're interested in then sure take it, you get to argue your point in the essay but in my opinion it is very limited on what you can argue as its pretty much self evident or set out for you.

ReputationRep:
    I adore A-Level history, but i also take lit, which is awesome! so :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    history is A LOT more interesting in my opinion...
    i also didn't take history at GCSE like yourself, and i didn't find it too much of a problem.
    i took english lit&lang at AS level as well as history and found history easier!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.