Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What was/will be your way of breaking the ice when you first go/got to university?

I've heard some pretty stupid ones from some of my friends, one involving my friend walking into the kitchen for the first time and saying "So where's all the taco?"...

ReputationRep:
    Haha I didn't have a specific plan to 'break the ice' when I moved into my halls..things just happened!

When I moved into my halls, I was the first one there, (well my flatmate was moving in down the corridor and I said hi as I was a bit shy and let her get on with it) and then I just dumped my stuff into my room and then my mum took me to the local Sainsburys to go food shopping.

I then came back and there were 2 people moving in opposite my room and next door to mine so we just introduced ourselves and took it from there. Like after people had said bye to parents and sorted out initial stuff in their rooms, people wondered about the corridors to see who they were living with. Lol...seems so long ago

ReputationRep:
    theres no need for a plan.

you move your stuff into your room. you knock on anyones door in sight and say hi. and when new people arrive you help them move all their stuff. simples. ok maybe that counts as a plan. but seriously you don't really need to think bout this stuff, it'll take care of itself

ReputationRep:
    Well there was only one guy there when i first moved in, he just said hi and asked if i wanted a cup of tea, and we just had a chat about where we were from etc..... then the next day everyone else moved in and we all decided to go to a freshers thing at the SU that night. Ended up coming back early and just chatting about the night etc. It all just happens gradually really.

Just do stuff together...

ReputationRep:
    Whipped it out. Needless to say people remembered me.

ReputationRep:
    how much does a polar bear weigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Wow. I was planning on just suggesting a trip to the college bar, but I have to admit that would have... A bit more impact... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I sat in the kitchen and other people wandered in and I reckon the 3 of us had a beer then I don't remeber really

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, a couple of guys were here when I first moved in, so we all sat on the hill and drank beers until the sun set.
    It was bliss :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Invite them all to the party in your pants.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't plan anything out or try and fake anything. The kids who try hard to appear cool/confident/whatever are obvious from a mile off, and usually puts them in bad stead. Be yourself, get chatting to as many people as possible, see who sticks around. Friendships can change very fast in the first few months, so best to be as sociable as possible.

ReputationRep:
    i met one as i was entering the house and he was leaving, we chatted for a few mins then he left, and later that night he invited me to his friends house, and then went to the union bar, thenhad a drunken conversation

t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    haha

(Original post by jnorton8)
    how much does a polar bear weigh
    Male or female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsTallAsLions)
    haha

Male or female?
    enough to break the ice...

ReputationRep:
    enough to break the ice...
    That didn't work :/

ReputationRep:
    That didn't work :/
    are you messing with me or are you really that dumb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Friendships can change very fast in the first few months, so best to be as sociable as possible.
    This is so true :yep: OP, you don't really need to think so much about it, things will happen by themselves. Just be friendly, and don't hole yourself up in your room :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    are you messing with me or are you really that dumb?
    My question was male or female, so your joke didn't work. Are you really that dumb?

ReputationRep:
    My question was male or female, so your joke didn't work. Are you really that dumb?
    seeing as you asked that question and were seeking a literal answer to a joke then i guess you really are that dumb prick

ReputationRep:
    someone knows how to ruin a joke :awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.