Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Never had a Boyfriend , Im too shy Helppp pleasee! Watch

Hi
    Im 17 nearly 18. Ive never had a boyfriend. A couple of my friends havent thought but i want/need one but my problem is that im just too shy!

I know this sounds a tad pathetic aswel but i dont think i would know how to be "proper" girlfriend especially if they've had girlfriends before.

Can anyone help , confident wise etc. .

ReputationRep:
    Just don't worry about it. There is no such thing as a "proper" girlfriend anyway.

ReputationRep:
    honey..dont worry about not knowing how to be a 'proper' gf...its not something thats standard..its like being really good friends with someone except you enjoy more things and you learn along the way...i did

your only 17 whcih might seem really old to you but if you havnt found a bf yet it just means you havnt found the right person...youl find them sooner or later

work on your confidence yourself, dont go making yourself something your not in the hope of attracting a guy, chances are youl attract the wrong sort of guy...

if your shy then your shy, its not a bad things. its quiet sweet actually since i was shy and ended up falling for someone who was pretty quiet themselves which meant we got on so much better and learnt together. now wer both much more confident.
    find someone who fits who you are?

another tip...dont actively meet people with the intention that they might be good bf material if your shy....make friends first...its always a much nicer surprise when you fall for someoen and your more likely to know them...and youl make lots of friends along the way too which will boost your confidence too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi
    Im 17 nearly 18. Ive never had a boyfriend. A couple of my friends havent thought but i want/need one but my problem is that im just too shy!

I know this sounds a tad pathetic aswel but i dont think i would know how to be "proper" girlfriend especially if they've had girlfriends before.

if you find someone who loves you for being you, shy and all none of it will matter - and if you find that person then you'll be a 'proper' girlfriend without trying

perhaps i'm talking out of my bottom (19 never had gf ) - but i'm just optimistic that that special person's waiting just around the corner for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSteed24)
    if you find someone who loves you for being you, shy and all none of it will matter - and if you find that person then you'll be a 'proper' girlfriend without trying

perhaps i'm talking out of my bottom (19 never had gf ) - but i'm just optimistic that that special person's waiting just around the corner for me
    they are...

omg...OP met DaveSteed24...DaveSteed24 meet the OP...

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really shy too and have never had a proper relationship, although I want that to change which is why I'm just trying to be more confident. It helps me to imagine I'm someone else, I know that sounds weird, I just think how a more confident person would respond in a certain situation. Just when you're around people chatting, or at a party or something, think of someone you admire and act like them (not over the top or obviously!). I know this doesn't seem healthy but it kind of works. People are attracted to confidence. And maybe improve your hairstyle and fashion sense?

Hi

You get unexpected surprises when you aren't looking.
    I got to a point when i was 17 when i thought i wouldn't find someone, and that no-one would live up to the childish, school-girl fantasy that i had in my head - he couldn't possibly be as awesome as the Doctor :P
    So i got to this point, and some how excepted it. I was happy and i worked on my friendships with people and just being as nice as possible tbh.

And thennn, one of my friends, who i wasn't so close to kissed me at a party. I didn't expect it at all cause he never seemed to look at me in that way.

But being inexperienced when it came to the follow up conversation a few days later (over chat! never do it on there you can't tell the tone of anything!) i was completely pessimistic and interpreted things he said in a negative light, when they could much more easily of been seen in a positive one. I consequently fell for him and then suggested we be friends (?!?) cause i didn't think he could like me. And we're both similar in the way that neither of us like to take the risk of getting hurt.

Now he's one of my best friends, but he's become quite the misogynist as he's had a slaaag of a GF since our incident.
    But i adore him. He was my first kiss and i had never felt so happy then that weekend.

But i know that he liked the fact that, his words not mine, i was "nice and kind and innocent"
    I just tried hard to befriend as many people as possible at sixth form, in a none desperate way, and it got me a good reputation and believe it or not, that combined with a good outfit works well :P

ReputationRep:
    inb4 mj asks if you're on o2

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm 17, and I've never had one in a proper sense. (I technically have, but it was such a nothingness I don't usually count it.) Just relax - being single means you can enjoy yourself more when you go out and get drunk.

Aside from which, when you move on from school, you're bound to find someone amongst your ne circle of friends. At least, I keep thinking that, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    what is this O2 thing??? :O: ;(

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Just hope for the best and say something to him, thats what i would want anyway

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're not desperate to get a boyfriend right now, then honestly you're best off waiting for someone to turn up out of the blue, it seems like the stuff of fairytales, but sometimes it can be just that way. If you don't want to end up stuck with the wrong kind of people, don't seem too confident at parties and such. I'm stupidly confident, and most people think I must have had quite a bit to drink just before I turned up, (not the case as i'm actually teetotal). This attracts quite a large amount of scum and ****s, I do not like this fact, if you don't want to get surrounded by the idiots at every party, stay a bit shy.

ReputationRep:
    You're 17 chick. Don't worry about it. Just be yourself and make friends. Boyfriends will arrive in time for people like you who deserve them.

ReputationRep:
    Get a boob job and dress like a whore, you'll get loads of attention

(Original post by a_t)
    Get a boob job and dress like a whore, you'll get loads of attention
    Loooll! Or not :P.
    Is weird cuz i dont think my friends would class me as shy but its just i never knwo what to say to boys! My friends know me for who i am and for some reason i think boys wont like me (Tad crazy sometimes) .
    Also , if someone asks me about boyfriends me mum will just go "oohh no , she doesnt want a boyfriend" . . . which pees me off!
    I really want a boyfriend thou (blush face)

Thanks everyone for actually repling to the thread.

(Original post by Bslforever)
    inb4 mj asks if you're on o2
    What sorry?:confused: Tad confussed?

Hi

Thats nothing- I am 21, in my second year of uni and not only have I not had a girlfriend, I've also never kissed, held hands, gone on a date, asked a girl out or lost my virginity.
    So OP, don't worry just yet- I am way more pathetic than you.

dont worry people get boyfriends at different times, the prettiest girl i know has never had a boyfriend, and no one thinks its strange at all. shes 17 btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAccidents)
    they are...

omg...OP met DaveSteed24...DaveSteed24 meet the OP...

:woo:
    lol - if only things were that easy :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.