Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Okay, here's the situation in a nutshell...

There's this girl I've liked for a while now. She's attractive, funny, intelligent, everything I want in a girl. I think she likes me in a similar way - she always smiles at me, comes over to talk to me when we're in the common room, etc, etc.

Start of the year, I promised myself I'd ask her out, sooner rather than later. I kept looking for the opportunity, but there were always people around, I'd rather do it when we're alone, otherwise it's just awkward. But today I got the chance.

We were alone together for about 20 minutes, plenty of time. But I just bottled it, I couldn't bring myself to ask. I guess its just a fear of rejection, I've never been massively confident anyway. I'm pretty annoyed with myself, and I'm almost worried in case I get another chance and screw that up as well.

Any ideas, or anything? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    hmm..if she kinda likes you anyway..the best thing to do is make yourself look hot, make sure she knows for def you know her and make the first move...

next time your alone just be like
    'oh iv got something for you' (all casual and cool)
    then take her hand and instead of giving her anything take a biro and write your number on her arm and then walk off..make sure to give a small casual smile
    best time to do this is right before a class when you can time it so you can walk off to class and not walk off randomly and stand in a corner

youv made the first move, she knows you like her and she has your number....shaazzaammm

(Original post by NoAccidents)
    hmm..if she kinda likes you anyway..the best thing to do is make yourself look hot, make sure she knows for def you know her and make the first move...

then take her hand and instead of giving her anything take a biro and write your number on her arm and then walk off..make sure to give a small casual smile
    best time to do this is right before a class when you can time it so you can walk off to class and not walk off randomly and stand in a corner

youv made the first move, she knows you like her and she has your number....shaazzaammm
    Cheers, that's good advice. Thing is, like I say, I'm not the most confident guy in the world. Not sure I'd be able to do that without being awkward, or screwing something up! :o:

Anyone else???

ReputationRep:
    dont over think it...deep breaths and just do it...

you'l regret it forever if you dont and some other guy whos not right for her swaggers over and sweeps her off her feet instead....

ReputationRep:
    Attractive, funny and intelligent...

Yup, you've described her alright.

Moreover, you don't ask men/women out, you kiss them.

ReputationRep:
    Don't make it into some big occasion, and there's no need to do the whole sitting facing eachother, locking eyes, telling her how you feel and making the proposition.

You can build up to it, day by day drop in hints and show signs of your feelings...if she likes you she'll respond to them by doing the same in return. That'll be your confirmation that the odds are in your favour and she wont reject you, it will only build your confidence up and you'll be more sure about asking her out.

dont over think it...deep breaths and just do it...

you'l regret it forever if you dont and some other guy whos not right for her swaggers over and sweeps her off her feet instead....
    So I keep telling myself :/ thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I keep telling myself :/ thanks again
    itl happen

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    She might be going out with someone else the next time you see her.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is your friend. I don't mean that in a sleazy way, but it sure as hell will relax you and you'll be more inclined to go for it.

I don't mean drinking in college either, I'm talking about some form of party or club! Also gives a good excuse to indicate to her that you are into her (i.e buy her a drink)

ReputationRep:

Don't do this; it's awfully lame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notker)
    Don't do this; it's awfully lame.

lol hes asking a girl out..not you...majority of girls wouldnt think it was lame...a guys giving you his number in a very nice way..oozes confidence but as long as its low key, no arrogance
    we take these kinds of things as compliments...

and compliments mean brownie points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Alcohol is your friend. I don't mean that in a sleazy way, but it sure as hell will relax you and you'll be more inclined to go for it.

I don't mean drinking in college either, I'm talking about some form of party or club! Also gives a good excuse to indicate to her that you are into her (i.e buy her a drink)
    Never buy a girl a drink. Ever. That automatically means you're like all other guys.

ReputationRep:
    lol hes asking a girl out..not you...majority of girls wouldnt think it was lame...a guys giving you his number in a very nice way..oozes confidence but as long as its low key, no arrogance

You must be really easy then :dry:
    That is as lame as lame gets! besides giving a phone number doesn't do anything...that'll just leave him counting down the seconds for his phone to ring. The girl might not like that he's put the ball in her court and she has to make the move to initiate everything.

In a nutshell, bad plan.

ReputationRep:

It exudes arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    You must be really easy then :dry:
    That is as lame as lame gets! besides giving a phone number doesn't do anything...that'll just leave him counting down the seconds for his phone to ring. The girl might not like that he's put the ball in her court and she has to make the move to initiate everything.

In a nutshell, bad plan.

its a good thing your a ferrari fan...or i wouldnt take too kindly to being called easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notker)
    It exudes arrogance.
    ok how about instead of telling the poor guy what NOT to do...why dont you tell him what he should do? since thats what he was asking in the first place...
    oh do please reveal your magic revelations as to the inner workings of a girls mind..im hanging onto your every word...really i am...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    Never buy a girl a drink. Ever. That automatically means you're like all other guys.
    Not if you already know the girl though - that's just being polite. Buying drinks for random girls is different - it means your after something....more "short term" than what OP is asking about!

ReputationRep:
    its a good thing your a ferrari fan...or i wouldnt take too kindly to being called easy
    Who said being called easy was a bad thing, babay :perv:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Give me your hand.
    *grabs a pen* :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Not if you already know the girl though - that's just being polite. Buying drinks for random girls is different - it means your after something....more "short term" than what OP is asking about!
    If you already know her why would you have to buy her a drink? Why is it always the guy who buys the drinks?

Surely it's because the guy wants something in this instance too(which he does), so really he's trying an attempt to buy some points.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.