Show
    Give me your hand.
    *grabs a pen* :p: :p:
    :security:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAccidents)
    :security:
    My point exactly! :laugh:
    It's a bad plan OP, this demonstration proves it...and I didn't even write anything on her hand :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    My point exactly! :laugh:
    It's a bad plan OP, this demonstration proves it...and I didn't even write anything on her hand :rolleyes:
    i got the stick out because you called me easy and made pervy eyes...THAT is not the way to do it OP....

who said anything about me not liking the pen bit?

ReputationRep:
    i got the stick out because you called me easy and made pervy eyes...THAT is not the way to do it OP....

who said anything about me not liking the pen bit?

You're right, you're not easy at all :rolleyes:
    I'm just kidding, each to their own I guess...it may work for some girls and not for others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    You're right, you're not easy at all :rolleyes:
    I'm just kidding, each to their own I guess...it may work for some girls and not for others.

damn you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    If you already know her why would you have to buy her a drink? Why is it always the guy who buys the drinks?

Surely it's because the guy wants something in this instance too(which he does), so really he's trying an attempt to buy some points.
    You don't have to do anything, it's completely personal choice. If you want to buy yourself drinks all night and no-one else, go for it. If I'm going to the bar and someone who I'm out with that night is empty (male or female) then I have no problem with getting them another. It's good manners, it's sociable and is usually well recieved. Other people do the same for me so it's all fine and dandy.

I can't answer why the guy always buys the drinks. I would never expect a female to fork out for a drink for me. I know they always bang on about equality blah blah but to me it just seems the right thing to do. In this scenario I'm talking purely about female friends, not trying to hook up for the night, that's completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Any ideas, or anything? Anyone else been in a similar situation?
    Get her number before you arrange a date. Much easier and less lame.

ReputationRep:
    ok how about instead of telling the poor guy what NOT to do...why dont you tell him what he should do? since thats what he was asking in the first place...
    oh do please reveal your magic revelations as to the inner workings of a girls mind..im hanging onto your every word...really i am...
    Well, he should just say to her "I really like you and would like to get to know you better; I think it would be great if we could hang out" then suggest a mutually enjoyable activity if she reciprocates. It's not cocky, it doesn't make assumptions about her feelings and shows him as a sensitive guy who is genuinely interested in her as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notker)
    Well, he should just say to her "I really like you and would like to get to know you better; I think it would be great if we could hang out" then suggest a mutually enjoyable activity if she reciprocates. It's not cocky, it doesn't make assumptions about her feelings and shows him as a sensitive guy who is genuinely interested in her as a person.
    lol
    very nice

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's the situation in a nutshell...

There's this girl I've liked for a while now. She's attractive, funny, intelligent, everything I want in a girl. I think she likes me in a similar way - she always smiles at me, comes over to talk to me when we're in the common room, etc, etc.

Start of the year, I promised myself I'd ask her out, sooner rather than later. I kept looking for the opportunity, but there were always people around, I'd rather do it when we're alone, otherwise it's just awkward. But today I got the chance.

We were alone together for about 20 minutes, plenty of time. But I just bottled it, I couldn't bring myself to ask. I guess its just a fear of rejection, I've never been massively confident anyway. I'm pretty annoyed with myself, and I'm almost worried in case I get another chance and screw that up as well.

How long have you known her for?
    whats her personality like is she outgoing and confident or quite shy herself?
    these are all important factors as to how to ask her out

ReputationRep:
    Don't do the pen thing that someone suggested. That's corny and immature. Just ask her if she fancies doing something together (find out her interests and then think of a thing you can do together). G'luck - just go for it

ReputationRep:
    Ask her for a private word, preferably a saturday morning by the owlery when you're sending that early morning letter off to snuffles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    You don't have to do anything, it's completely personal choice. If you want to buy yourself drinks all night and no-one else, go for it. If I'm going to the bar and someone who I'm out with that night is empty (male or female) then I have no problem with getting them another. It's good manners, it's sociable and is usually well recieved. Other people do the same for me so it's all fine and dandy.

I can't answer why the guy always buys the drinks. I would never expect a female to fork out for a drink for me. I know they always bang on about equality blah blah but to me it just seems the right thing to do. In this scenario I'm talking purely about female friends, not trying to hook up for the night, that's completely different.
    Still think it's a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    God damn.

'Do you wanna come and grab some lunch with me?'

Is it REALLY that hard?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's the situation in a nutshell...

There's this girl I've liked for a while now. She's attractive, funny, intelligent, everything I want in a girl. I think she likes me in a similar way - she always smiles at me, comes over to talk to me when we're in the common room, etc, etc.

Start of the year, I promised myself I'd ask her out, sooner rather than later. I kept looking for the opportunity, but there were always people around, I'd rather do it when we're alone, otherwise it's just awkward. But today I got the chance.

We were alone together for about 20 minutes, plenty of time. But I just bottled it, I couldn't bring myself to ask. I guess its just a fear of rejection, I've never been massively confident anyway. I'm pretty annoyed with myself, and I'm almost worried in case I get another chance and screw that up as well.

I know you how feel. I bottled it when I was 17 because I didn't have the confidence to talk to her when she was with her friends (who ******* hated me) but I could have a conversation with her alone and she gave plenty of IOIs*. I just didn't have enough balls.

Don't worry though. You're still young and plenty more will come your way.

*IOI - Ask me if you don't know

ReputationRep:
    When I first saw that thing about the phone number on the arm, as a girl I quite liked it...but then thinking about it it would be quite easy for it to go wrong. As opposed to writing ur number on her arm (which could easily come across as quite arrogant). How about writing something like...would you like to come out with me some time? or something like that!

Oh, I'm getting excited about this already! This could be so sweeet

Much appreciated everyone, although I can't say I was intending on starting a debate on the do's and dont's of asking someone out! :p:

I'll give it another crack sometime, guess I'll just have to put my awkwardness to one side and ask. :/

Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywellydoodle)
    When I first saw that thing about the phone number on the arm, as a girl I quite liked it...but then thinking about it it would be quite easy for it to go wrong. As opposed to writing ur number on her arm (which could easily come across as quite arrogant). How about writing something like...would you like to come out with me some time? or something like that!

Oh, I'm getting excited about this already! This could be so sweeet
    Its quite lame yet I still think that this idea is really sweet! Its different to what guys usually do ("alright love, can I buy you a drink?" :rolleyes:)

I think it just depends on the sort of girl she is though. It could come across as sweet but she might just find it quite cheesy. I would personally think it was cute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueTypeOfLou)
    Its quite lame yet I still think that this idea is really sweet! Its different to what guys usually do ("alright love, can I buy you a drink?" :rolleyes:)

I think it just depends on the sort of girl she is though. It could come across as sweet but she might just find it quite cheesy. I would personally think it was cute!
    ughh finally! thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuu
    needed a girl or two to come out and say they found it sweet too....

in your face Playboy King :woo:

ReputationRep:
    ughh finally! thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuu
    needed a girl or two to come out and say they found it sweet too....

in your face Playboy King :woo:
    Lol, no problem. I always find different ways of asking people out much cuter than just the normal things guys do. Like the advert where the guy says "Catch a goat, you've pulled". Not because its a good chat up line! Don't use that OP! I just find it quite amusing, I would be way more likely to talk to someone if they did something like that.

I'm probably just a bit weird though...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.