Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The value of the acid dissociation constant, Ka, for a different weak acid HY is
    2.65 × 10–4 mol dm–3 at 298 K.
    Calculate the pH of the buffer solution formed when a 0.0300 mol sample of the solid
    salt NaY is dissolved in 500 cm3 of a 0.250 mol dm–3 solution of the acid HY.

Jan 09 Q2b on AQA

Use pH = pKa + log ([NaY]/[HY])

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I havnt seen it done like that before. Is that quicker than just using the fraction?

(Original post by Tomato_Soup1992)
    I havnt seen it done like that before. Is that quicker than just using the fraction?
    It's just a manipulation of 'the fraction' and I find it a lot quicker :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I learned that the notation [A] can only be used if A is actually in the solution (e.g. [NaCl] would be wrong). Am I wrong or was it just a little mistake you made in this post?

ReputationRep:
    Ka= [H+][Y-]/[HY]
    Then you have the values you need to put in, rearrange for [H+], but remember there is 500cm3 (0.5dm3) and all the [H+] values are moldm-3. So convert to Moldm-3. Then use pH=-log[H+].

Hope this helps you.

(Original post by phen)
    I learned that the notation [A] can only be used if A is actually in the solution (e.g. [NaCl] would be wrong). Am I wrong or was it just a little mistake you made in this post?
    My, you're picky :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    My, you're picky :hmmm:
    :P Any mistakes I make on tests are usually that kind of small mistakes. I've learned to watch out for them in particular.. (managed to not let one slip in this entire year so far.)

So that's why I'm picky on those things.

ReputationRep:
    The value of the acid dissociation constant, Ka, for a different weak acid HY is
    2.65 × 10–4 mol dm–3 at 298 K.
    Calculate the pH of the buffer solution formed when a 0.0300 mol sample of the solid
    salt NaY is dissolved in 500 cm3 of a 0.250 mol dm–3 solution of the acid HY.

---
    2.65 x 10^-4 = [0.03/0.5][H+] / [0.250]
    [H+] = 1.104 x 10^-3

-log{10}[H+] = 2.96 PH

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.