Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, basically I am 85% sure that I will be doing a degree in English at university. However, I am also interested in working the finance sector, particularly stockbroking in the future. My worry is because I didn't do maths/economics/business, employers will look at my application and think *pfft* and toss my CV in the bin. However, the I was talking a stockbroker at the careers evening in my school and he did a Politics degree in LSE, so they obviously aren't all maths graduates. Anyway, my question is, as long as the degree I do is in a top uni, will I have a decent chance.

All opinions welcome

ReputationRep:
    You're probably better off asking in the investment banking forum for stockbroking, however I would say it doesn't rule you out, but you should be doing something at uni to demonstrate your interest in finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 86501)
    You're probably better off asking in the investment banking forum for stockbroking, however I would say it doesn't rule you out, but you should be doing something at uni to demonstrate your interest in finance.
    Maybe. I do enjoy economics at uni so maybe a degree in Accountancy or Management may be good but to be frank I would much rather study English since I believe that the end product will be a lot better due to a greater keeness for the sunject. Both my heart and head says do an English degree to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, but I would have thought that your University course would need be somewhat mathematical to stand a chance at stockbroking. The Politics graduate may just have been a one off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I'm no expert, but I would have thought that your University course would need be somewhat mathematical to stand a chance at stockbroking. The Politics graduate may just have been a one off.
    Maybe, but then an investment banker I talked to studied Classic Civilisation so :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you take a look at banks you are interested in and have a look at the reqs for the graduate programs. See if they specify a numerate degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Maybe. I do enjoy economics at uni so maybe a degree in Accountancy or Management may be good but to be frank I would much rather study English since I believe that the end product will be a lot better due to a greater keeness for the sunject. Both my heart and head says do an English degree to be honest.
    One might argue if you enjoy economics then why not do a degree in economics instead of accounting or management? That aside I'm personally a firm believer that you should do the degree that is of most interest to you because you're more likely to enjoy it and that means you're more likely to do well.

I think there are others way to demonstrate you would make a worthwhile stockbroker if that is still what you want in 3 years time. Remember employers will give you a maths test, they will use that to assess if you're mathematically able enough to work there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Maybe, but then an investment banker I talked to studied Classic Civilisation so :confused:
    That's quite strange to be honest. But think about this logically, if you want to go into finance you should be taking a finance related subject such as Economics. Of course this will depend on other things such as your A-Levels and whether you're good at maths or not. I think if you want to go into Finance, doing and English degree will put you at too much of a disadvantage, but at the end of the day it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Top ten Uni and any degree will get you some interest.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, by the looks at things, the general consensus is that if I want to do stockbroking then I should do a numerate degree. But the last thing I want to do is do a degree just because of the career at the end, find out halfway through that this was not the degree that I was looking for and then end up regretting my choices and getting a bad grade. I mean I am looking at journalism or law, but it was stockbroking that first caught my eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 86501)
    One might argue if you enjoy economics then why not do a degree in economics instead of accounting or management? That aside I'm personally a firm believer that you should do the degree that is of most interest to you because you're more likely to enjoy it and that means you're more likely to do well.

I think there are others way to demonstrate you would make a worthwhile stockbroker if that is still what you want in 3 years time. Remember employers will give you a maths test, they will use that to assess if you're mathematically able enough to work there.
    I do the IB and I do not do Higher Level maths since it is too difficult and not worth the time or the effort so this rules me out of many BSc Economics courses, Economics BA courses are not what I am looking for and I have noticed that though I do enjoy economics, I have been seeing my enthusiasm for the subject depreciate gradually whereas my enthusiasm for English is only getting higher and higher.

ReputationRep:
    Many banks hire art graduates, its far from a rarity.

Yes its true you have to have numerate ability, but if your successful they train you in everything you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice people. Rep is on the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Hmm, by the looks at things, the general consensus is that if I want to do stockbroking then I should do a numerate degree.
    I can only see one person that has said that!

ReputationRep:
    Put simply firms look for:
    Academics [can be anything. Analytical and numerate ability - doesn't mean you need a mathsy degree]
    Transferable skills [from extra curriculars, interest, work exp.]
    Keen interest in business areas

Doing English at a top uni will not really hinder you... you can email a few firms if you want further clarification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I do the IB and I do not do Higher Level maths since it is too difficult and not worth the time or the effort so this rules me out of many BSc Economics courses, Economics BA courses are not what I am looking for and I have noticed that though I do enjoy economics, I have been seeing my enthusiasm for the subject depreciate gradually whereas my enthusiasm for English is only getting higher and higher.
    Just explain all that at interview and I'm sure you'll get hired no probs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Hmm, by the looks at things, the general consensus is that if I want to do stockbroking then I should do a numerate degree. But the last thing I want to do is do a degree just because of the career at the end, find out halfway through that this was not the degree that I was looking for and then end up regretting my choices and getting a bad grade. I mean I am looking at journalism or law, but it was stockbroking that first caught my eye.
    If you still think university is about the pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake then you're sadly wrong.

If stockbroking is what you want to do then the VAST majority of people on this site would agree that you need Oxbridge or LSE, and even then banks prefer graduates with Maths, Economics or science degrees (like Physics or engineering). The LSE guy you were talking to may have done Politics but he did it at LSE which is a target university for banks, and he may also have taken modules in Economics or Management.

Not only that but you need to have great extra-curriculars, like being the head of societies, a mentor, volunteering, related work experience etc.

If you're desperate to do English then I would say the only chance you have at stockbroking is if you get into Oxford or Cambridge. An English degree from anywhere else just won't interest banks.

And if you are so interested in stockbroking, then why aren't you interested in studying a related degree like Economics or Management? No offence but if I was interviewing people for a job at a bank and they had an English degree I wouldn't be interested in giving them the job. An Economics or Management degree can be useful in many different jobs after you graduate, but what can you do with English (apart from teach) that you can't do better with another degree?

If this is something you really want, then I recommend NOT doing English. Instead choose Business/Management and/or Economics. You should also try and get into Oxbridge or LSE, and failing those UCL or Warwick.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.