Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chris Pendleton)
    This may seem weird as medicine is the career in question but ear me out.

My parents are both in the health sector, my mum is a nurse and my dad is a doctor. My parents have always presumed that i didnt want to do medicine because im a twin brother and he always makes it loud and clear that he does not want to do it.

The thing is i have been thinking about it for a long time and feel that this is the career for me but i am finding it difficult to tell them because i am scared they wont like it.

I hear you all saying "why will they not like it they are all in the proffesion?" Well this is because i have always got the impression that they don't want me to do it. When i ask my dad about his job he always says it is like any other job and that there are far better jobs in the world etcc...

WHat do you think i should do?

Whatever YOU want!

Which is exactly what your parents, and your brother will be happy to support you with!

If its what you want to do, then nothing can hold you back.

ReputationRep:
    I think your parents would be proud if you did it. Sounds like they'll be entusiastic about any path you choose!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be doing it for years to come, maybe even a few decades. So do what you want

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want. Why chase another career that you won't put your heart into?
    I'm sure if that's what you really want to do your parents will support you

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want. Even if they don't want you to do it (which I doubt), what does their opinion have to do with it? (As long as they are happy to support you through your studies obviously)

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever YOU want, at the end of the day it's your choices in life and just say that you're going to do it and you'd love their support particularly as people who work in the field. Although my parents - who are both in medicine - have always said the same things as yours and it has utterly put me off :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It's your life.. not their's. If you want to do it, you will just have to find a way of telling them. You will regret it if you don't. I'm sure they will be really pleased and supportive - medicine is a great career! It's important you tell them soon, because if you want to apply to medicine you will have to sort out relevant work experience etc & you may need your parents to drive you there and stuff!

ReputationRep:
    It may just be that your Dad didn't want you to feel that he was pushing you into medicine. A lot of people end up as Doctors simply because it is a family tradition. Being a doctor is a tough job that requires a lot of dedication and your Dad will know this first hand. I'm sure if that's what you want to do then he'll be very supportive, he probably just wanted you to explore other options first so that you make the decision to study medicine independently. I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to your parents without your brother around and tell them how you feel, I'm sure they wouldn't object if they know that's what you feel is right for you.

Good Luck! =)

ReputationRep:
    1. Do what YOU want to do, it's your life.
    2. I assume your parents love you and want you to be happy.
    3. 99% of parents would LOVE their child to become a *cough* rich *cough* doctor.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that you can cope with the challenges of life as a doctor and have a realistic appreciation of a career in medicine then go for it. Medicine is a very sensible career choice and your parents will have your best interests at heart and I'm sure they'll support you.

ReputationRep:
    Ithink i would be a great doctor from my discussions with my dad.

I am just finding it hard to say "mum i want to be a doctor?"

Alsodo you think it is too late now to get W.E?

ReputationRep:
    Depends when you need to apply for... would you be 2011 entry?
    In which case there's plenty of time to organise w/e for the summer

ReputationRep:
    i am 2011 yes

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk to your dad he probably has contacts who work in a range of specialties and who he could try and get you work experience with. Or else try emailing a hospital/gp directly. It is usually easier if you have the email of a specific doctor though, they are more likely to be answered! Most of the people I contacted for w/e were very helpful and even if they personally didn't have the time they were happy to ask their collegues.
    And don't worry I'm sure your mum will be fine once you tell her, if you're worried more about telling her specifically, maybe tell your dad first and see what his reaction is.
    Hope everything goes well for you.

ReputationRep:
    How did you people of the internet break it your parents?

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you definitely want to do it, and your parents would be supportive of your choice as you've got to be happy doing something.
    It'll give you an advantage with work experience too :p:
    Just tell your parents that you've thought a lot about it, and decided that it's the career for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris Pendleton)
    How did you people of the internet break it your parents?
    Me: "Mum i'm going to do medicine at uni."

Mum: "Cool."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Megatron)
    Me: "Mum i'm going to do medicine at uni."

Mum: "Cool."
    Intereting, direct, to the point.... i might try that one.

ReputationRep:
    My parents aren't particularly keen on me wanting to do medicine.

Doesn't matter to me in the least, it's my life, not their's

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.