Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want to do, don't let your parents dictate your life. Besides, if you get high up in the medical career you can earn loads! What's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    just say **** u dad and stick the fingers up and say Ill do what i want *****!

EASY!

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! With your parents in medicine getting insight is not a problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    My parents aren't particularly keen on me wanting to do medicine.

Doesn't matter to me in the least, it's my life, not their's
    Why so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Why so?
    I wouldn't say that they're really against it, or they're actively unsupportive of my wishes, but certainly they'd prefer it if I went into scientific research or something like that...apparently the hours and pay are better and there's more peace of mind.

Which might well be true, but I don't really care about long hours, low pay or an unpeaceful mind

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. It's not as if you are telling them you are on smack, or you got some girl pregnant! I think you will be suprised at how supportive your parents will be about it. At the end of the day, parents want you to do the best you can in life, and if its something you want to get into then they have no right to be dissapointed!

I was nervous about telling my dad that I was going to study photography. He has been so supportive though, even sorted out some work experience for me! Go for it! You will feel better about it

ReputationRep:
    your probably right people i need to tell the to get it off my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Your life, not your parents or your twins or your monkey's uncles. Do the career you want to do. My parents didn't want me to do music, I told them very bluntly that I didn't give two cows.

P.S. I doubt they'll dissaprove anyway, but like it I said; it's your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris Pendleton)
    your probably right people i need to tell the to get it off my mind.
    i was in the same situation and my mum (and lots of my family) works in the profession and she hates it. she is very high up and she always use to say to me "at the begining you get all the rubbish job and the old folk, then you will only get a few years of being involved in so really great clinical cases then when you get to my age you spend your entire day with piles of paperwork an get very little patient time. it is the worst job ever" so i always asumed that she would be really against me wanting to do medicine. when i told her i did want to she was a bit like "really why?" and got alot of her doctor friend to have word with me about how awful it can be sometimes. but now she has calmed down alot and she has decided to accept it.
    what she said never put me of and she came to accept it and help me. so i dont think you will have a problem if you really want it.

also, having parent in the right place really helps too because you can get some really good work experiance... just be nice to your dad

ReputationRep:
    I just told my mum and i feel much better. She said oads of "you know this can happen..." but in the end she said think about it and we will tell Dad later.

I am just glad my dad can get w.e for me. Also he works at a University so e can help me with y personal statement etc..

How did you people of the internet break it your parents?
    This has to be a level, no?

ReputationRep:
    My mum's reaction: aren't you happy nursing, this is a big change, how will you find the money, I don't doubt your potential but, etc.

My partner's reaction: you really care about people. You can do it. I'll help. You're a big boy now, you know the pros and cons. You better work your backside off for this.

Sometimes parents are a bit negative out of fear you'll mess up. Other people may encourage you to take a calculated risk. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    to me it just sound like theyre trying to discourage you from doing medicine not because they dont like at as a profession, but probably to make sure that you make that choice of your own accord, and don't think medicine is the right path JUST because they are in that sector too..

I'm sure any parent would be proud of you, so top worrying, tell them and go for it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just told my mum and i feel much better. She said oads of "you know this can happen..." but in the end she said think about it and we will tell Dad later.

I am just glad my dad can get w.e for me. Also he works at a University so e can help me with y personal statement etc..

Im not saying don't take up the opportunities that come your way from this, but why not also arrange something yourself via the Voluntary Services Department of your local hospital. This shows initiative and will allow you to actually work on ward and since you will have been CRBd you can get placements in many more areas of the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    do wat i want, macca.

ReputationRep:
    Man up

ReputationRep:
    This may seem weird as medicine is the career in question but ear me out.
    Nice pun.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.