The Student Room Group
Reply 1
SeekerOfKnowledge
1) discuss the importance of 'atom economy' and reaction type in working towards the development of environmentally friendly industrial processes in the production of polymers and medicines

2) describe the technique of thin-layer chromatography (TLC)

:confused:

1) Atom economy is how much product yield you get opposed to the reactants that you put in. So in the ideal world, we would want 100% atom economy, so there ll be no waste products and we get the most out of the resources that we put in.

& ofc using environmentally friendly process is pretty self explanatory.

2) are you kidding? :s-smilie: you mustve come across this question about 20 times now....
Reply 2
SeekerOfKnowledge
1) discuss the importance of 'atom economy' and reaction type in working towards the development of environmentally friendly industrial processes in the production of polymers and medicines

Do you mean F324?
Reply 3
josh_a_y
1) Atom economy is how much product yield you get opposed to the reactants that you put in. So in the ideal world, we would want 100% atom economy, so there ll be no waste products and we get the most out of the resources that we put in.

& ofc using environmentally friendly process is pretty self explanatory.

2) are you kidding? :s-smilie: you mustve come across this question about 20 times now....

No, I havn't and I've done all the past papers...
Reply 4
SeekerOfKnowledge

TLC will be in ur text book, or the salters revison guide that u can get well cheap off amazon

and the first question is pretty easy to think by common sense. environmentally friendly processes have high atom economy to avoid waste and less steps in reactions, "green chemistry" is used to find shorter ways of producing the products from a reaction, with less steps. Think about what reaction types have higher atom economy and less steps.
Reply 5
_Andrew_
No, I havn't and I've done all the past papers...

You have done all the OCR B salters LEGACY papers? :s-smilie: from 2006- 2009?

I highly doubt it... its on at least half of the papers

EDIT: either way... look on your chemical ideas book for thin layer chromo.... It's all there. Good luck.
Reply 6
josh_a_y
You have done all the OCR B salters LEGACY papers? :s-smilie: from 2006- 2009?

I highly doubt it... its on at least half of the papers

I do OCR A chem
Reply 7
_Andrew_
I do OCR A chem

Then ur not doing F334 paper... or you've been put up for the wrong paper....

I fail to see why you would comment on this thread if you're not doing our syllabus...
Reply 8
Diaz
Do you mean F324?

Nah they changed it to F334 because "they can" , which gives us very little in the way of past papers as the Legacy stuff is about 30% marks more different than current syllabus meaning the papers arent accurate, except for the specimen paper (and we know how good they are).

@OP
1) Atom economy is a way of seeing how much useful product is made against waste, to become more environmentally friendly industries need to aim for addition reactions where the reaction is 100% atom economical.

2) T.L.C. like others have said should be done to death now....

1. Spot any mixtures and reference samples on a pencil line at the bottom the t.l.c. plate
2.Place the t.l.c. plate in a beaker containing solvent, while making sure the solvent is below the pencil line.

3.Remove the t.l.c. plate when the solvent front is nearly at the top of the plate, mark how far the front has reached.

4.Dry the t.l.c. plate and locate any spots using a locating agent (ninhydrin etc) or a UV lamp if appropriate.

5 Find Rf values for each spot , Rf = distance moved by spot/distance moved by solvent

6. Compare Rf values of unknown sample to those of the reference sample (s), to decide what the unknown is.

I think that is pretty much t.l.c. in a nut shell!!
How did u guys find the exam today then?

I think i completely flunked it :frown: esp that 6 marker :frown:

Latest