Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sending the same email/personal statement to different universities watch

ReputationRep:
    Anything wrong with that?

I'm just firing off a few emails outlining some basic background details about me and questions about the postgrad course I'm looking at, and I just changed the names (Hi John becomes Hi Helen) and sent the same email. Dumb question, probably, but does that matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    Anything wrong with that?

I'm just firing off a few emails outlining some basic background details about me and questions about the postgrad course I'm looking at, and I just changed the names (Hi John becomes Hi Helen) and sent the same email. Dumb question, probably, but does that matter?
    If its just an email with basic questions...I guess thats fine

However, I wouldn't do it for the personal statement as its better to fine tune it to every uni (stating which modules your interested in, why the specialization of the department would suit you etc....)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, cheers, crackingod

ReputationRep:
    What about the research proposal? I know you're not supposed to write much about yourself in it, just include a few sentences at the end on why you want a place in such department, etc in particular. Apart from that, I submitted the same documents with each application...
    Since the applications are checked by the graduate office before being dispatched to the departments, only them could see that you recycled your PS, not the admission committee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    What about the research proposal? I know you're not supposed to write much about yourself in it, just include a few sentences at the end on why you want a place in such department, etc in particular. Apart from that, I submitted the same documents with each application...
    Since the applications are checked by the graduate office before being dispatched to the departments, only them could see that you recycled your PS, not the admission committee.
    For the research proposal I guess its fine as you would want to do similar research wherever you apply.
    In my case, I slightly changed it saying how I wanted to build on some of the strengths of the department to develop my research project in each case.

For the PS, I guess that its just better to send something that is slightly more personnalized, but that's just my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    Hold on....what's a research proposal?
    What's it for, when do you send one out?

ReputationRep:
    It's what you submit in place of a PS when applying for a research degree - although some universities require both - particularly crucial if you're looking at PhDs. It's basically a presentation of your thesis topic, of the context of your research and of your outline. But since you didn't know what it is I guess you don't need it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.