Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually curious how ya guys see the rankings. In the company where I worked (one of world's largest / prestigious and one many admire to get into), we didn't care about rankings at ALL. I've seen people get accepted with degrees from Lancaster and someone being rejected from Oxford. Many of the 'normal' employers (except consulting- McKinsey/Bain, except IB- JPMorgan), the departments have standard lists of the universities and courses.

Take it; do you as a company want to hire again a non-succesful Oxford grad if the past two Lancaster grads have been achieving far better results? From a practical standpoint, why don't ya check the alumni information? Far far better results than only the universities name.

Ya. Ya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1123580)
    I'm actually curious how ya guys see the rankings. In the company where I worked (one of world's largest / prestigious and one many admire to get into), we didn't care about rankings at ALL. I've seen people get accepted with degrees from Lancaster and someone being rejected from Oxford. Many of the 'normal' employers (except consulting- McKinsey/Bain, except IB- JPMorgan), the departments have standard lists of the universities and courses.

Take it; do you as a company want to hire again a non-succesful Oxford grad if the past two Lancaster grads have been achieving far better results? From a practical standpoint, why don't ya check the alumni information? Far far better results than only the universities name.

Ya. Ya.
    I agree with your opinion .. but to get a first from lancaster, as you mentioned( lancaster is an example which i strongly believe that is NOT good because lancaster university has really good reputation and is one of the good universities in UK) is easier than Oxford university. I understand that are all universities but the level is different. I do not know if you agree with that but this is true. I am studying at Cass Business School and I am in the third year, my flatmate studies at London Metropolitan the same thing and my program, my courseworks and my exams are much more difficult than his program. Actually they do not do anything ..and this is a fact which my flatmate says too and I am not the only one. His average grade is higher than me but he has done only the 1/10 of the things that I do.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting how these opinions form about universities. Just note that I grabbed an example university. This could even be Oxford University compared to Harvard University and this is solely my opinion from one employer's recruitment system across the globe.

We didn't care about whether your coursework is harder, academically more rigorous or pasted with a stamp from Harvard Business School. All applications, both from London Met and HBS were treated the same. I've looked into the files today. Guess what. London Met has a pretty high % of successful recruits. There are some higher ranked universities that even achieved 0%. I leave out here the networking effects that might exist more at higher ranked institutions, because these attract high achievers.

What matters in the end, at the job interview, is your personality. What matters in the CV selection is your if you could distinguish yourself. Many job interviews consist out of 2/3 interviewees from the department you'll work with. They will be your future colleagues. I conducted several interviews and on the rating scales one category was closely related to the 'openness' of a person. Arrogance would be given a 1, whether I would like to invite the person to go to the company gym afterwards a 5. What I noted is that students from courses that are less higher ranked have less 'self big cheese'. If you graduated from <select-top5-university-worldwide-enter-here> University you've received the confidence that one of the 5 employers you applied too certainly will accept you. The graduate from London Met might have (based on other's opinions and forums like this) the feeling that he won't be accepted. Guess what where I would like to work with? Which person will be likely to stay the coming 5 years and will highly perform? The highest predictive validity for future job performance is GMA + Behavioural Based Questions Interview (Schmidt and Hunter (1998, p.265)). Many of the global assessment centers / companies HR / recruiting strategies are built upon this. Most ideally, read the article and try to find out a Master that increases your GMA and ability to answer these questions ;-).

In the board of worldwide VP's (+- 25 people) only two studied at prestigious universities. The current CEO had his degree from a university you even won't consider. The current European VP has a degree from a university that many of you will laugh about.

The morale of this story? It's not always about the rankings. It's about what the course brings to you personally. The guys we accepted were socially and emotionally exceptionally strong, had leadership experience in a real student society and achieved high grades in their university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1123580)
    Interesting how these opinions form about universities. Just note that I grabbed an example university. This could even be Oxford University compared to Harvard University and this is solely my opinion from one employer's recruitment system across the globe.

We didn't care about whether your coursework is harder, academically more rigorous or pasted with a stamp from Harvard Business School. All applications, both from London Met and HBS were treated the same. I've looked into the files today. Guess what. London Met has a pretty high % of successful recruits. There are some higher ranked universities that even achieved 0%. I leave out here the networking effects that might exist more at higher ranked institutions, because these attract high achievers.

What matters in the end, at the job interview, is your personality. What matters in the CV selection is your if you could distinguish yourself. Many job interviews consist out of 2/3 interviewees from the department you'll work with. They will be your future colleagues. I conducted several interviews and on the rating scales one category was closely related to the 'openness' of a person. Arrogance would be given a 1, whether I would like to invite the person to go to the company gym afterwards a 5. What I noted is that students from courses that are less higher ranked have less 'self big cheese'. If you graduated from <select-top5-university-worldwide-enter-here> University you've received the confidence that one of the 5 employers you applied too certainly will accept you. The graduate from London Met might have (based on other's opinions and forums like this) the feeling that he won't be accepted. Guess what where I would like to work with? Which person will be likely to stay the coming 5 years and will highly perform? The highest predictive validity for future job performance is GMA + Behavioural Based Questions Interview (Schmidt and Hunter (1998, p.265)). Many of the global assessment centers / companies HR / recruiting strategies are built upon this. Most ideally, read the article and try to find out a Master that increases your GMA and ability to answer these questions ;-).

In the board of worldwide VP's (+- 25 people) only two studied at prestigious universities. The current CEO had his degree from a university you even won't consider. The current European VP has a degree from a university that many of you will laugh about.

The morale of this story? It's not always about the rankings. It's about what the course brings to you personally. The guys we accepted were socially and emotionally exceptionally strong, had leadership experience in a real student society and achieved high grades in their university.
    I absolutely agree with you. In order to get a job you need personality and not grades. But to get the chance to show your personality you must have good grades. If grades are not important then why the big firms ask for a min 2.1?
    Grades are not the only factor and are not the most important thing to get a job but are necessary to get the chance to show your personality.

I have one more questions: when we go to assessment centre, or during the interviews, we never see or the possibility to see students from London Met and Salford is really low. Why that? Why all students who are waiting outside for their interview are from universities with really good reputation?

I do not believe in rankings but I believe that there are 10-12 universities that are really good .

Also if you believe that this is fair about the grades and the universities, is not fair. I had 5 modules to give in one week last year on January and 5 in May and my flatmate had two exams only in June. We study the same thing. Do you think that this is fair? Do you think that we must have the same treatment? I don’t know if the procedure can change but ok I think is not right. This does not mean that I am better or have better personality. There is a chance a student from London Metropolitan be better than me but if we want to compare two students, let’s compare the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone more information from MBS? I am looking forward to hearing about some student experiences there.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial College Business School has launched an MSc in Strategic marketing. Applications for October 2012 entry are now open and the programme is aimed at graduates with a business background and a passion for marketing who want to apply strategic marketing techniques to modern organisations http://www.businessbecause.com/news/...tech-age-81287

ReputationRep:
    How's about University of Birmingham or University of Machester? Which one in better in marketing studies? Will it be difficult to be enrolled?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I hope you guys can help me, I'm looking to master in marketing but I have no idea which school to pick Strathclyde or Glasgow? All information will be helpful .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2013

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.