Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is often considered to come right after Oxford and Cambridge, but whilst looking at university rankings (for instance the guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...y-league-table ) Bristol comes 29th.
    So do you think Bristol deserves its reputation or would you place it on the same level as other red brick unis such as Leeds? (I'm talking mainly academically).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepoodle)
    Bristol is often considered to come right after Oxford and Cambridge
    I've not heard anyone say this.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's better than leeds. i'd say it deserves its rep

it's my firm choice

ReputationRep:
    Good uni, backed hard

ReputationRep:
    depends what league table your looking at it, its 16th in the independent and 10th in the times

ReputationRep:
    What university actually does come after oxbridge in general can't really say LSE or Imperial as they are too specific with thier courses as is Warwick. I would say Durham or Bristol that kind of area.
    Boxbridge/Doxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Boxbridge sounds cool

defo not Doxbridge

ReputationRep:
    You need to be careful with league tables, as they all use different criteria. Bristol's rated quite low in the Guardian because of its "% satisfied with feedback" score. The average entry tariff is high (so clearly it only admits a high calibre of student) and the table deems Bristol's graduate prospects (the most important factor IMO) to be equal to Oxford's. Plus Bristol's in the top 10 according to The Times, and that's the only one anyone really takes any notice of :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Bristol often comes lowe then it deserves (well I think) in league tables due to student satisfaction. If you look at all the other criterea then Bristol is normally very highly rated, but then student satisfaction drags it down.
    This is probably due to our rubbish student union. A lot of other unis I have visited have really thriving unions whilst ours is dead most of the time. But, personally, I don't think this really matters as we're a city university anyways, so town is closer to some people then the union!
    Anyways, I love Bristol and think it definitely deserves it's reputation. Its one of the most popular unis for employers to if you want a job, Bristol is the place to be!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replies everyone, when I went to the open day last year I was told bristol was considered third best by headteachers thoughout the country (but they stayed silent on the league table scores).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaderocks)
    Bristol often comes lowe then it deserves (well I think) in league tables due to student satisfaction. If you look at all the other criterea then Bristol is normally very highly rated, but then student satisfaction drags it down.
    This is probably due to our rubbish student union. A lot of other unis I have visited have really thriving unions whilst ours is dead most of the time. But, personally, I don't think this really matters as we're a city university anyways, so town is closer to some people then the union!
    Anyways, I love Bristol and think it definitely deserves it's reputation. Its one of the most popular unis for employers to if you want a job, Bristol is the place to be!
    Apparently the student satisfaction rating are all a fix. I read on another thread that St Andrew's told their students to rate them highly to give them a league table boost, and apparently Cambridge boycotted the rating one year because low rated unis were encouraging their students to lie to get a better rating for the uni.

And yeah, the graduate prospects are a lot higher than the unis nearby it in the league table - The Times rates them the same as Oxford's! :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.