Turn on thread page Beta

What can you do with a sociology degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    As you can see I have an offer for sociology with psychology (BSc) and really love how the course looks and the university but at other universities I’ve applied for straight psychology which seems to open much more doors career-wise.

So I was just wondering if choosing psychology is a better option, or if sociology has as many opportunities, and if so what are the opportunities/ what do most students do with a sociology?
    Is it valued by employers?
    What do people studying sociology wish to do when their degree's finished?

ReputationRep:
    I only know one person personally who did a sociology degree and she went on to do events management for clubs in London :dontknow: don't know how much that is related to the field itself.

ReputationRep:
    I might get persecuted for saying this, but Sociology isn't very highly regarded amongst many proffesions and is widely known as a degree you can't really fail (i.e. all your doing is giving your interpretation of peoples theories). I do however know someone who finished a Sociology degree and is now in a good job working at a childrens charity head office earning good money so it's not a complete dead end. Psychology is a much more scientific and probably does have more avenues after the initial 3 years because your not completely closing the door on the medicinial aspects, which you would be with Sociology.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think sociology is any more restrictive than psychology. I don't think many psychology students go on to something directly related to the subject because their wouldn't be enough places. I'd look at what the graduates from the course went on to do after they graduated - it might give you a clearer idea.

I'm studying sociology at the moment, and I don't quite know what I want to do yet, other than I want to work in the public sector. At the moment I'm thinking either social work, something in the prison service or something in local government.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh gosh readin this has kinda worried me :/ Ive applied 2 do sociology aswel hun lol, cuz i love the subject .. i wanna be a sociology teacher though so thats kinda why aswell.. but im sure you can do like sociol workk.. work with children ect, my friends gonna do a 3yr socioology degree then she wants 2 do tht pcg thing or sumfin lol 2 become a primary skool teacher.. ive herd pyschology is like highly looked upon by people though, so if u enjoy both, are good at both id probably go with pyschology hun xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    I might get persecuted for saying this, but Sociology isn't very highly regarded amongst many proffesions and is widely known as a degree you can't really fail (i.e. all your doing is giving your interpretation of peoples theories). I do however know someone who finished a Sociology degree and is now in a good job working at a childrens charity head office earning good money so it's not a complete dead end. Psychology is a much more scientific and probably does have more avenues after the initial 3 years because your not completely closing the door on the medicinial aspects, which you would be with Sociology.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks that's exactly what I was worried about tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Social worker and teacher are the related fields that come to mind I guess :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Thanks that's exactly what I was worried about tbh.
    That's the problem with doing sociology - you will get this **** all time. Don't worry about it though; there are plenty of job opportunities. You're probably not going to get a really high paid job, but that's probably the same for a lot of arts graduates. It doesn't mean it's worthless. If you're main motivation is material rewards then it's probably not the right path, but I think it's a really interesting degree so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Social worker and teacher are the related fields that come to mind I guess :confused:
    I was thinking more of an example of things you could do with just the sociology qualification tbh, as far as I know you have to go back to university to go into those fields which isn’t something I would want to do straight away lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've never studied Sociology but I guess what you learn can be applied to lots of different situations and careers, the same way as English. If you don't know what career you'd like to do then Sociology is good. But if you do know what career you'd like to do then research it and find out if you need a specific degree. Just to add- maybe doing two subjects will be more interesting for you or maybe it will be more difficult?

ReputationRep:
    My dad has a degree in Sociology. He worked with the probation service for a number of years, and now works with children who have committed crimes. He has several psychologists working for him. He gives talks all over Europe ( expenses paid for), and also owns his own business on the side writing academic papers.

He refers children for psychological assessments ect, and is pretty much a highly rated figure in the field.

Who says Sociology is ****? Do with it what you will.

I obviously don't know how much he is paid, but it can't be bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Don't worry about it though; there are plenty of job opportunities.
    Spoken like a true non-graduate.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few career paths.

Pretty much anything in the voluntary sector, social work, teaching, social science research, government research, mentoring, youth work, local government, housing and many many more.

ReputationRep:
    Check the undergraduate course info on the websites of your uni choices, it should have a 'career opportunities' section. I'll check mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    :facepalm:
    Tel me lol.. i would like to know, is socology nt a good choice or sumfin?

ReputationRep:
    I personally couldn't give a **** now with what job oppurtunities come with my degree of choice (sociology). I've accepted that it isn't going to be some six figure one in some big business - any one will do that pays for the essentials in life, anything extra is a bonus.

My guess would be that if you're really worried, wanting a very high salary job, another degree may be more suited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    That's the problem with doing sociology - you will get this **** all time. Don't worry about it though; there are plenty of job opportunities. You're probably not going to get a really high paid job, but that's probably the same for a lot of arts graduates. It doesn't mean it's worthless. If you're main motivation is material rewards then it's probably not the right path, but I think it's a really interesting degree so far.
    As long as there's something there when I graduate its fine lol, I’m aware it won’t bring me the highest paid jobs. It's reassuring that you say it offers the same opportunities as psychology would, I do find both extremely interesting but this course just looks amazing.

I just had a bit of a panic because I’ll be in so much dept after my degree, it would be horrible to not have gained anything financially. So far this thread has conflicting answers of 'nah it's ****' and 'it'll be fine' lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    I personally couldn't give a **** now with what job oppurtunities come with my degree of choice (sociology). I've accepted that it isn't going to be some six figure one in some big business - any one will do that pays for the essentials in life, anything extra is a bonus.

My guess would be that if you're really worried, wanting a very high salary job, another degree may be more suited.
    No I choose the degree purely because I find it so interesting and want to study it, just wanted to know what was out there really. It's more variety and quality of careers that I'm interested in rather than salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    No I choose the degree purely because I find it so interesting and want to study it, just wanted to know what was out there really. It's more variety and quality of careers that I'm interested in rather than salaries.
    Honestly, I don't think a bunch of students who study subjects in an entirely different field would know the answer - and if they do I'd be worried for them in how they spend their spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Honestly, I don't think a bunch of students who study subjects in an entirely different field would know the answer - and if they do I'd be worried for them in how they spend their spare time.
    I would assume there are a lot of people here who study/ plan to study/ know people who study sociology or psychology. If no one knew no one would have answered.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.