Turn on thread page Beta

What can you do with a sociology degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    That's the problem with doing sociology - you will get this **** all time. Don't worry about it though; there are plenty of job opportunities. You're probably not going to get a really high paid job, but that's probably the same for a lot of arts graduates. It doesn't mean it's worthless. If you're main motivation is material rewards then it's probably not the right path, but I think it's a really interesting degree so far.
    Not just arts graduates: a science degree doesn't come with a six figure salary guarantee.

ReputationRep:
    f*** all to be honest.

A sociology teacher?

My friend did it then then she had to do another two year social work diploma thing to do social work. I think psychology has a few more prospects..

..but not many benny.

ReputationRep:
    It pretty much just qualifies you to become a graduate.. i.e you can go on to do post-grad or do a grad scheme for a company etc.

ReputationRep:
    Almost anything!

Sociology is a great subject, imo, and is a good discipline if you're going into the public sector. It teaches you quite important stuff which can also be relevant to things like human resources, public relations, etc. However, much like psychology, most skills are transferable and most graduates will get a job unrelated to the subject.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.