Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Basically I was going to live in a house with my friends next year but they've picked their house and they all need to put down a £500 deposit which I can't muster up so I won't be able to live with them.

    As such I'm going to look for a flatshare or a houseshare somewhere in West or maybe Central London, I've seen tonnes of adverts for them in the local press and in shops so I'm not too worried about finding one.

    The only problem I have is that everyone I know at Uni is sorting out their accommodation now whereas I plan to wait until the summer, is this a bad idea?

    Also anyone got any advice on looking for student accommodation on their own?

    if you leave it, the prices may come down as landlords start to panic
    also, you may not have to pay summer rent (since it may have already past) if you plan to live at home til sept/oct

    Don't worry about rushing into it. Like the other poster said, you'd probably have to pay rent for the summer (usually half rent but some landlords are *********). It's London, there will be plenty of houses going, if there's only one of you it's even easier because people often have single places to fill. Just make sure when you go to look you have a good chat with the people already living there and try to gauge if you'll get along.

    There's quite a lot of websites for people looking for rooms, gumtree, spareroom, accommodationforstudents, for example.
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.