The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Dentists turn to private work due to disillusion with NHS – 2006 u-turn in govt new contract in 2006 – points systems and targets. Current system is a shambles – extractions increased due to uda targets more points for extraction and denture rather than the correct/better treatment of the patient. Encourage dentists to do cheap dentistry rather than quality care which is the total opposite of why many dentists go into the profession.
A lot of doctors I know do private work on top of NHS shifts for extra money. Why not I say. Not too sure about dentists though. Private, if you can pay for it is better every time, they aren't afraid about cost effectiveness and more about treating the patient to their comfort. The NHS however is vital I think for this country for people who wouldn't be able to afford healthcare otherwise.
the current uda (units of dental activity) has caused problems with current nhs dentists. Based on previous earnings the nhs gives the dentists x amount of money to do y amount of work. If the dentist doesn't reach the expected y amount of work then the nhs will reclaim the money. a lot of dentists however shoot past the target, but dont get paid any extra for it i.e. are working for free and are having to cover their own expenses for treatment.
Band 1 uda includes examinations.
Band 2 uda includes fillings, extractions and root canal treatments
band 3 is any lab based work e.g. crowns and dentures

the dentist can do 1 filling or 10 fillings but get paid the same amount as all falls into band 2. Extractions and root canal treatments also get paid the same amount however root canals take nearly three times longer and has a lot more overhead costs to it.
the advantage of the nhs is that dentists theoretically should put more focus on prevention hence not have to do RCT and extractions etc but it rarely ever works out like that!
Reply 4
Just wandering, in an interview question, how would we answer this?
weigh up the pro's and cons and eventually have nhs as the winner?
i think it would be an unfair question but in terms of patient care (which is ultimately most important) then nhs would be the clear winner in theory.
Reply 6
dentalstudentGKT
i think it would be an unfair question but in terms of patient care (which is ultimately most important) then nhs would be the clear winner in theory.

but you could counter that by saying dentists have more time to speak to patients about their teatment and preventitive measures in private?
yes but the patients in most need of treatment won't be able to pay for it (inverse care law). I did say it was "in theory" as well. "In theory" the nhs favours preventative side of treatment but it isnt turning out to be like that!

Latest