The Student Room Group

Ludovico Einaudi grade standard?

Hi, I don't suppose anybody has an idea of what grade standard Ludovico Einaudi's music would be on the piano, especially I Giorni? If anybody could help I'd be grateful :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think once you get to his level, grades are pretty much irrelevant. He is clearly at the top of any recognised achievements. But he has probably self taught himself way above a level that is graded.
Reply 2
Really? I'd always thought that the music that he's written that you can buy as sheet music is relatively easy, I know somebody who's only (not only as in it's bad, just it's not that far along) learning grade three and they're doing his pieces... :confused:
I'd say his music is about Grade 5 to 6 standard.
Le Onde was passed as acceptable to play for Advanced Higher by the SQA. For AH it needs to be at least Grade 5.
Reply 5
I would disagree, labelling it more grade 4 standard instead, depending on which piece you choose. It involves lots of very repetitive technique (arpeggiated accompaniment etc), so once you are OK with that, you are pretty much sorted for the rest of his music. I giorni has exactly that in, with no particularly difficult (if any - it's been a while!) jumps. Which other pieces were you thinking?

EDIT Come to think of it, there are some of his pieces I might put up at the top end of grade 5, but most are simpler than that.
Reply 6
olipal
I would disagree, labelling it more grade 4 standard instead, depending on which piece you choose. It involves lots of very repetitive technique (arpeggiated accompaniment etc), so once you are OK with that, you are pretty much sorted for the rest of his music. I giorni has exactly that in, with no particularly difficult (if any - it's been a while!) jumps. Which other pieces were you thinking?

EDIT Come to think of it, there are some of his pieces I might put up at the top end of grade 5, but most are simpler than that.

I didn't have anything particular in mind apart from that really, I just remember playing that a while ago and it being relatively easy but still sounding mildly impressive.

The thing is, I need something for my second section in my AS music practical, and the grade standard has to be grade 5+, and I've not really played the piano properly in about 8 months. At least I've got the violin for the main section, but I have to do a second instrument for the second section, so basically just need any old piano piece of grade 5 standard.
Reply 7
My guess woulda been in the grade 4-6 area, lots of his music is really quite simple.
I'd agree with the general consensus that most of his music is grade 4-5, maybe grade 6, but they take quite a lot of musicality to play well and are much longer than standard grade 4 pieces, so they're quite difficult to put into a specific grade.

I can play I Giorni and I'm only about grade 3/4 standard on piano, and I'd definitely say that was one of the easier pieces, if that helps at all. But I think because of the repetitive nature of his music, people at lower grades seem to manage to play his music :dontknow:
Reply 9
Echo_Foxtrot
I'd say his music is about Grade 5 to 6 standard.

I would consider it more grade 3 standard.

lol :p:

Ludo is awesome though.
benmh92
I would consider it more grade 3 standard.

lol :p:

Ludo is awesome though.

I got away with saying it was Grade 5 for my GCSE hhah. BOOM.
Reply 11
I think I'll just be safe and go with something completely different, thank you though :smile:
Reply 12
oh i thought u meant what grade is HE. music books you can buy different graded though cant you, like simpler versions of the same songs...
Reply 13
Any one know what grade Divenir ? cant find that any where, or difficulty would be helpful?
Original post by joe1545
Any one know what grade Divenir ? cant find that any where, or difficulty would be helpful?

Divenire is about grade 4, but with a few hand-turnings, so playing 1-5-9-5 is needed. It's not really that hard, but that's the only part beyond grade 4, really..
Reply 15
Original post by ApresAlkan
Divenire is about grade 4, but with a few hand-turnings, so playing 1-5-9-5 is needed. It's not really that hard, but that's the only part beyond grade 4, really..

Sorry what bars, or time is it beyond grade 4?
Original post by joe1545
Sorry what bars, or time is it beyond grade 4?

Bar 2, for instance, requires fingering beyond Grade 4; however I'm sure any pianist of Grade 4 standard could play it...
Reply 17
I'm using Nefeli for my GCSE music solo performance piece. My teacher was shocked because I am only at Grade 2, he said that that it was a Grade 5 piece (at least). He also mentioned that lots of people have chosen to use Einaudi's music for GCSE. :smile:

Nefeli uses the same technical skills all of the way through and repeats itself a lot, but it still sounds pretty and quite complicated.

I hope this helps x
I would say grade4/5. I am currently doing grade 4 and nuvole bianche took me about 3 weeks to thoroughly play. I Giorni is probably a similar difficulty. Hope I helped
Reply 19
Oooh! I haven't had a teacher for a few years (it became a chore for me and wasn't necessary) but I still love playing he piano, so I've just been teaching myself songs such as 'I Giorni', 'Nefeli', 'Primavera' and 'La nascita delle cose segrete'. I had no idea they were of around Grade 4 standard! Chuffed!

Does anybody have any recommendations for songs that are of the similar level to those? I have two of his books, 'The best of' and 'Divenire'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest