Turn on thread page Beta

How hard is Physics watch

ReputationRep:
    How hard is Physics. A levels. Is it harder then chemistry?

Im a B grade student in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    its as hard as it is to jump up and down with two glasses of water balanced on your head while riding a unicycle. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I find it varies.

I found Physics way harder at the start because its the biggest jump from GCSE to A level of all the science subjects. However, i'm starting to see it more straight forward as its very Formula and definition based, however chemistry requires more understanding and questions (in my experience) are vague in exams.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How good you are at maths?

Personally I found chemistry very difficuly and physics pretty easy at GCSE.
    AS physics is rather straightfoward too, I didn't take Chemistry for AS so I can't comment.

But basically - if you can do maths and you have a "scientific mind" then you can do physics.

ReputationRep:
    It kind of depends on what else you are good at and what you already now.

I really struggled through AS Physics because I didn't know the maths. Or more that I couldn't remember how to do some things, since I'd taken my GCSE Maths a year early and the school didn't make us do any maths in that year between the two. It was the same for other people who weren't taking A-Level maths at the same time, and had done their GCSE a year early (as a result my school are only letting people do Physics if they do Maths as well.)

I managed to struggle through and get a D at the end, but I really did need to put a lot of work in because I had to be able to understand the maths first (at least that's what I found) so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Subjective. I find it insanely hard whilst my friends find it easy,whereas they all find biology hard whereas i find it easy.
    Revolves around lots of formulas and definition work i've gathered so far,which i'm not enjoying.

ReputationRep:
    The ones who didn't do maths found it very hard. I did maths and further maths and still found it hard (at least the first mechanics module, not terribly difficult maths but it does require "mathematical thinking", and you have to be proficient in rearranging equations and trigonometry etc, which people who didn't do maths found tricky, as well as the questions where you have to work out what to do).

ReputationRep:
    Yup, this is an impossible question to answer and you will only know what the answer is for you after you've done it

I found AS physics much easier than AS chem if it helps...

ReputationRep:
    VERY HARD. I WANT TO CRY. hard hard hard.

ReputationRep:
    It's a massive jump from GCSE Physics, and yes it was hard. I found it more difficult than Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Yup, this is an impossible question to answer and you will only know what the answer is for you after you've done it

I found AS physics much easier than AS chem if it helps...

um waaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

ReputationRep:
    Physics reduced me to tears, at gcse alone.

But I have a feeling this question is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    SO easy it almost makes me cry. I could have gone to no lessons all of last term and still come away with 90% in the exam this thursday. Almost as easy as GCSE. Chemistry on the other hand is far more difficult as you have to learn things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.truth.hurt.me<3)
    um waaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
    Take a breath, read it slowly, realise your fail and continue with your life.

Geez, reading comprehension these days...

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally finding it really tricky at the minute (physics), acing GCSE physics was a piece of cake but A level is such a step up... I know there are some people who don't find it difficult but I'm finding a lot harder than maths and even more tricky than further maths..

I don't do chemistry at A level so I can't say anything on that one

ReputationRep:
    Depends what board you do, Edexcel A-Level (2008 spec) Physics is stupidly easy.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Physics is a LOT easier than A Level
    Doing A Level maths helps a lot at AS because a lot of it was mechanics based (for CCEA anyway) but it's been incredibly difficult (as well as more interesting) at A2 I have found. My Physics went from 20 at AS to 6 at A2

I think A Level Chemistry is a lot easier than Physics because there are no concepts or skills you have to grasp (except how not to burn a hole in the table *guilty*) it's just learning off. But as long as you put in the work and practise questions then you will be grand

That's rich coming from someone with A2 Chemistry tomorrow and A2 Physics on thursday :P

ReputationRep:
    If you did well in GCSE Physics, you'll do fine. It's a lot easier than Chemistry.

Having Maths helps.

ReputationRep:
    well it really hard but if you are good at maths you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Once you grasp the concepts it's pretty much putting numbers into an equation and explaining stuff.
    ...The understanding makes it hard.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.