Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exercises To Improve Posture?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Are there any excercises which can be done to improve my posture? My backs kinda rounded from where I sit at the comp all day at work! I try to keep a straight back as much as possible when sitting down and standing up..But are there any exercises to help hold a strong straight back? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Any back exercise such as bend rows which help strengthen the back will help with your posture.

ReputationRep:
    back exercises, squats

You need to get into the habit of sitting up straight at the computer as your main focus, anything else is really pointless if your not doing that.

ReputationRep:
    The best exercises for posture are Yoga/Pilates type stretches, and exercises that strengthen your abs. The advantage of Yoga type exercise is that it's easy and you're unlikely to damage yourself in the process.

If you think your posture might be a particular problem, it is worth getting an appointment with a physiotherapist. They will be able to give you advice on posture and specific exercises to help out, as well as diagnose you if it turns out your bad posture is caused by something else. That's what happened to me - my Dad was always going on about my bad posture as a teenager, and it turned out to be caused by Scheuermann’s disease - a thankfully not very serious condition that doesn't need surgery or any long term treatment. Incidentally, it's what that kid who won Britain's got talent was diagnosed with when the newspapers screamed loud and entirely false headlines about how a debilitating spine disease would mean he'd never dance again.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered pilates?

I started it 3 months ago as i was getting back problems at work and in lectures and it's improved my balance, posture, everything and I also find it a great way to end a workout too, and help stretch my muscles! Everyone keeps saying i look taller, but my posture has just improved!

ReputationRep:
    Rows, specifically 1-arm DB rows, REALLY pull my shoulders back and give me much better posture. However, the best exercise I've found for having good posture is simply getting into the habit of holding yourself in good posture whenever you can.

ReputationRep:
    I found my posture has improved from the Starting Strength routine = Squats, deadlifts, pendlay rows, overhead press, bench press

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiFty Kid)
    Are there any excercises which can be done to improve my posture? My backs kinda rounded from where I sit at the comp all day at work! I try to keep a straight back as much as possible when sitting down and standing up..But are there any exercises to help hold a strong straight back? Thanks in advance.
    You can do all the corrective exercises you like but if your posture is crap the vast majority of the time that's going to be reflected in your body - start walking, standing, sitting, etc with correct posture.

(Original post by 2pallas)
    The best exercises for posture are ... exercises that strengthen your abs.
    The vast majority of people have strength and muscle imbalances between their fronts and backs, also of these people the vast majority tend to have stronger front muscles (ie; chest, abs, anterior deltoids, etc) than they do back muscles (ie; trapezius, latissimus dorsi, posterior deltoids, lumbar muscles, etc).

What is working only your abs going to do? Emphasise these strength and muscle imbalances further and potentially make things even worse.

If you're going to bother to work out at least do it properly, work all muscles equally - if you're going to work your abs at least work your lower back muscles.

ReputationRep:
    http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...r_body_posture
    http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...r_body_posture

these may be of use

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.