Turn on thread page Beta

Being single is not a bad thing, watch

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with not wanting to be single? I have spent every single Valentines day on my own, more recently avoiding human contact on those days because of how depressing it is to see other couples walking around together happily. I had nothing against them, it just hurts to see other people happy when it's all you ever long for - to have someone in your life.

There's nothing wrong with hating singledom. There's nothing wrong with being lonely and wanting a partner in your life. Why can't you just let people feel the way they want to feel? Being single, for some people, IS a bad thing. Obviously, you're quite content being single, but others aren't and it's unfair to expect everyone else to 'man up' like you want them to. People naturally crave companionship, they crave touch, it's human nature. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be loved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    Go and sort it out. I’ve never had a gf in all 19 years of my life
    Same boat as me... doesn't bother me in the slightest being single... a lot less hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Well your life isn't rubbish when single but its like black and white

And when you're in love everythings in colour :awesome:

Firstly buuuulllllll ****, secondly Adonis is an idiot, that's why he was unable to get a gf till now, its nothing to be proud off

If you can't find a girl good enough to meet your standards it says a lot about your social life/circle tbh
    It's not ******** at all, I want both looks and personality and it is hard to come by. Whilst I am regularly seeing several women at the same time why would I cut them all off for one I dont even like that much? I will find one eventually. I have a massive social life and circle but no special girl in my life.

Ask any guy if they would change their girlfriends looks at all, and if they would, it means they've settled (and most guys would). I'm not like other guys. I make sure I have what I want.

Sometimes I wish I was like other guys, being able to rail anything with a pulse and be able to settle with girls and not expect the finest things in life, but that is who I am and I will change for no one.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a joke or?

I'm actually an incredible speller, but cba to read through it to see if I made any mistakes.
    joke (about your username)

ReputationRep:
    VD is a ******** money making waste of time. Me and my ex never celebrated it really. The first one we made cards for each other haha

I think being single is only "bad" when you have just split up and you've literally forgotten who you are and what makes you happy. After that the new bf/gf is there to, as you say, enrich you life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    That's fair enough, while you're young... just remember it has to come to an end - there's nothing sadder than a 30+ year old party boy. Except maybe a 30+ year old party girl, haha.

tbh I'd say 27+ is starting to push it a bit...
    Don't get me wrong I WANT to find a girl to settle with, but I am not going to make do with a girl or mope until I find one for me. Why wouldI do that? If you can't be happy single it decreases your chances of even finding someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    What's wrong with not wanting to be single? I have spent every single Valentines day on my own, more recently avoiding human contact on those days because of how depressing it is to see other couples walking around together happily. I had nothing against them, it just hurts to see other people happy when it's all you ever long for - to have someone in your life.

There's nothing wrong with hating singledom. There's nothing wrong with being lonely and wanting a partner in your life. Why can't you just let people feel the way they want to feel? Being single, for some people, IS a bad thing. Obviously, you're quite content being single, but others aren't and it's unfair to expect everyone else to 'man up' like you want them to. People naturally crave companionship, they crave touch, it's human nature. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be loved.
    "People naturally crave companionship, they crave touch, it's human nature. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be loved".

I want this. But being bitter and resenting couples will only make you less of an attractive person. Someone who can confidently and happily live their life without being in desperate need of an other half is something I (and I'm sure I speak for many other guys) find incredibly sexy.

So instead, embrace singledom. Because that guy will come; you don't know where or when but only by being happy and living life to the full do you maximise your chances of it happening.

Hope I made myself clear. You can hate singledom but don't let it effect your life. I want a partner and I've never had one but it does not have a single effectin the way I lead my life.

ReputationRep:
    being in a relationship on VD is worse than being single IMO. I'm with somebody who, is like me. We're not particuarly conventional, we don't see each other a lot due to distance and we don't even talk that much whilst we're not together. That's just how we do things. However, when I get people asking me what we're doing on VD pisses me off. Why should VD be any different? If you care about somebody enough, everyday should be VD.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's natural to want to be with someone, and not be single. But I also agree that your partner should be a supplement to your already happy, active, independent life - your life should not be about getting that partner. So mostly well posted, OP.

ReputationRep:
    "People naturally crave companionship, they crave touch, it's human nature. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be loved".

I want this. But being bitter and resenting couples will only make you less of an attractive person. Someone who can confidently and happily live their life without being in desperate need of an other half is something I (and I'm sure I speak for many other guys) find incredibly sexy.

So instead, embrace singledom. Because that guy will come; you don't know where or when but only by being happy and living life to the full do you maximise your chances of it happening.

Hope I made myself clear. You can hate singledom but don't let it effect your life. I want a partner and I've never had one but it does not have a single effectin the way I lead my life.
    The ironic thing is, I've been in a very happy relationship for 4 months now, he's my match. Me being miserably single however, had NO effect on my love life whatsoever because I didn't 'act' desperate and I wasn't 'bitter' in any way shape or form. In fact, I was quite accepting of the fact that I was single even though it hurt to see other people in happy relationships and I wanted that. I cried most nights because I was so lonely and it wasn't a time to 'celebrate' being my own person.

What I'm saying is that people deal with being single differently. Being discontent with the single life is nothing to be ashamed of or fought against. Ranting on an internet forum about how people totally unrelated to you behave, is pointless. People won't change because you've told them how content you are!

Don't get me wrong I WANT to find a girl to settle with, but I am not going to make do with a girl or mope until I find one for me. Why wouldI do that? If you can't be happy single it decreases your chances of even finding someone.
    Well, I agree with that really. Like I said I was single for a long time and I didn't whine or mope about it. In fact I wasn't even looking for anything when I met my fiancee... it just sort of happened. It's the best way if you ask me... if you're looking too hard to find someone you're likely to end up seeing things in people / giving them attributes that aren't really there, making them seem perfect when they're not. If you just stumble across someone and it turns out you can't imagine not being with them... that's when it's real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    The ironic thing is, I've been in a very happy relationship for 4 months now, he's my match. Me being miserably single however, had NO effect on my love life whatsoever because I didn't 'act' desperate and I wasn't 'bitter' in any way shape or form. In fact, I was quite accepting of the fact that I was single even though it hurt to see other people in happy relationships and I wanted that. I cried most nights because I was so lonely and it wasn't a time to 'celebrate' being my own person.

What I'm saying is that people deal with being single differently. Being discontent with the single life is nothing to be ashamed of or fought against. Ranting on an internet forum about how people totally unrelated to you behave, is pointless. People won't change because you've told them how content you are!
    SOme will, some won't. We are products of experiences and diverse opinions. So if I give mine and some people consider it that is good at least. It';s also interesting to hear other sides of the story - like yours for example. We really don't disagree on anything except we both view it differentky.

ReputationRep:
    Completley agree OP

ReputationRep:
    I'll never understand the logic of people that think having one person that you love and want to be with is great but having two peope isn't. If you're saying that having none isn't as good as having one, in what way is having two not as good as having one? That might be a really simplistic way of trying to explain what I mean but it makes sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    I used to think that. When I was single.

That said, I was single for a long time, and I'm glad that I met someone I love completely rather than being with someone just for the sake of being with someone (as a LOT of people are).

So... I guess... no, being single isn't a bad thing... it's just not as good as sharing your life with someone you love.
    This, completely.

I'm nearly 20, in my first relationship and still feel that's almost too soon. But my partner makes me a better person. I think- I hope- I make him a better person. I coped without a partner, but with him in my life, everything is somehow easier. I've got someone to be weird to without thinking he's going to leave, someone to cook for, someone to wake up next to and someone to be irritatingly sweet about even though I usually hate affection and being open with people. Smugness. I make myself sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    I'll never understand the logic of people that think having one person that you love and want to be with is great but having two peope isn't. If you're saying that having none isn't as good as having one, in what way is having two not as good as having one? That might be a really simplistic way of trying to explain what I mean but it makes sense to me.
    Because you only have two if you don't like one enough?

ReputationRep:
    I agree - I much prefer being single to being in a relationship. I used to hate seeing my friends in relationships because it made me feel lonely, but I embraced singledom and I'm much happier for it. I would now hate to be in a relationship - it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Your point about 'settling for any old bint' is wrong though. Everyone has to settle for someone; there is no such thing as the perfect person. They will always have something you don't like about them. You should maybe realise that you're not so perfect yourself, and that some day, a woman may 'settle' for you.

ReputationRep:
    Because you only have two if you don't like one enough?
    Are you a football fan? The old club and country argument is good with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    Are you a football fan? The old club and country argument is good with this.
    True, although being exclusive to one girl is not the same as being exclusive to one club. You can love a club and your country like mad but not love two girls like mad.

ReputationRep:
    True, although being exclusive to one girl is not the same as being exclusive to one club. You can love a club and your country like mad but not love two girls like mad.
    Why it's the same emotion? If you are capable of loving something or someone there isn't a cap on it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.