Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pet Rabbit taken =( devastated. watch

ReputationRep:
    Its all self explanatory really. Been two days since our rabbit was taken (Sunday night) and just started sinking in, finding it really hard what to do with myself and what to do now. We're all still hoping for the best, especially the first day I was in shock really - but now it'll be the third day we're losing hope of finding or getting her back.

Basically these are the circumstances: She has a double lock hutch, pretty stiff. My mum locked her in after an afternoon run on Sunday afternoon, then we went out Monday morning (to give her her feed), opened the locked door, and she has gone - stolen we presume (but haven't put that on posters, just 'Missing'.)

Our family and neighbourshave searched all round our garden and neighbourhood, even further over the past few days and nothing. Put up posters, reported to the police but still keep waiting for a phone call from someone even though time's getting on =/

Just really hit me today cause such a shock when realised she's gone, I can't bear to think she may be scared, in pain or worse but those thoughts keep coming back and just getting really depressed. I wasn't in fact the rabbits main carer, but after just being numb with trying to 'take action' first 2 days just hit me and sobbed for ages thinking about her an hour ago.

I just can't think what would possess anyone to do such a thing?! Especially a rabbit - I know its more common with cats and dogs especially, our neighbours have taken in abused strays.

I suppose this is a bit of a moan tbh, letting things out. But question keeps going round in my mind is the MOTIVE - is it possible simply for cruelty??

And has anybody been in a similar situation with lost/stolen pet, what are the chances of getting her back?

(I can provide more contextual details if anyone asks but post probs already overly long)

ReputationRep:
    low chances of getting it back, hows it gonna survive in the wild if its been domesticated

my cousins hamster dug a hole in the garden while my cousin had her back turned for like a second, and disappeared down it lmao, so funny, how can it just disappear like that, PARANORMAL **** DUDE

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel, I lost my rabbit to Myxie (disease) a few years back, I was his (Dylans) main carer, and I felt like it was all my fault.

Your rabbit (bless her) is probably hiding somewhere, keep putting up the posters, it's hard to not spot a domestic bunny rabbit hopping down the street. We frequently got the neighbours knocking on the door when Dylan used to 'do one' out the fence. He would just hop back in the house, looking annoyed at his holiday being cut short :]

Chances are that she'll come back. Animals are smart, they know where their home and food is, as well as their carer.

Don't lose hope, and PM me if you want to talk, I feel for you! :]

Jess xxx

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. I'm devoted to my cats and whenever anything happens to one of them I cry for days. I know exactly how you're feeling. It's the no knowing the outcome that's the worst thing. My heart goes out to you.

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell steals a Rabbit? I wonder what their intentions are (rhetorical, please, please don't answer that)

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutely awful, I feel so sorry for you. I have a gorgeous bunny myself, so I know how devastated I'd feel if anything ever happened to him. People leaving hurtful comments clearly have problems and absolutely no sense of compassion.

The posters sound a great idea, also leave her favourite food out in case she's gone on a wander somehow (my bunny loves escaping for the thrill, then gets bored after about 20 minutes of being chased). Don't give up! I feel for you and hope she'll be back safely soon.

ReputationRep:
    when you say lock, do you mean an actual lock that you can only open with the key or just a hutch bolt? I'm assuming the latter?

It does sound like someone's taken her. I feel so bad for you. I guess all you can do is hope for the reasonable best that someone wanted to keep a rabbit as a pet and couldn't afford one, someone thought they'd take and sell her or that someone was just being cruel to you and let her out (in which case at least she'll get some freedom before a fairly quick death from a fox or something).
    In fact, if you were keeping her on her own it's a possibility someone thought they were doing the rabbit a favour by taking it and giving it a 'better' home with a friend - I don't mean this to upset you btw it's just the way some people think.
    It's unlikely someone would have gone to the trouble of stealing a rabbit to torture it, When you can pick up a cat off the street.

I lost my hamster when I was younger, it crawled behind my dads fire and under the house. A woman across a main road found it in her garden and responded to the posters he'd put up!

In all honesty, I wouldn't hold out hope on getting her back and just hope that she's gone to live in a nice home with another bunny and new owners who will take care of her.

ReputationRep:
    my rabbit just died, the cold killed her

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame. Maybe it was a clever fox..My dad used to let my rabbits out on the grass and sometimes they ran away, but they came back soon after. I think it's time to give up. If someone saw a rabbit would they report it? I know I wouldnt.

ReputationRep:
    I had my rabbit stolen about a year and a 1/2 ago and never got him back. All i could keep thinking was that it was my fault and it took me weeks to get over. We got some sick kids round my area and i cant help but think that someone stole him to feed to their dogs. It just makes me feel sick that people could do this to helpless animals. its not all bad though cause now i got 2 new rabbits and i spoil them rotten.

ReputationRep:
    Once I had a guinea pig in my garden; I turned my back and the thing went into the flower bed (like seperate from the paved part, really bushy, teeny fence..). I was like :eek: omg can't find her! And my dad had to pull up loads of plants to find her before she passed our garden into our neighbours.

Memories... :moon:

Oh yeah and I had a cat when I was like 4/5, I named her Twinkle, and she disappeared one night and we never saw her again... :dontknow:

And once, I had 4 hamsters in a row die a few days after we had them; I saw one curl up in a ball and die, barely able to hold her head up and my mum had to give her water with like a tiny drip. Turns out all the hamsters at Pet World had some sort of virus and they'd all died..

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, im sorry to hear about your rabbit....

mine was stolen 3 or four years ago too.

Just wanted to say at first its really bad but after a little while it gets better and you get over it.
    It sounds horrible but sometimes getting another pet after a while helps.

People dont steal rabbits etc to be cruel to them, they steal them to sell them on mostly so its likely it will just find a new owner if this makes you feel any better??

I have to say its pretty unlikely you'll find it again but you will feel better soon

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made)
    Its all self explanatory really. Been two days since our rabbit was taken (Sunday night) and just started sinking in, finding it really hard what to do with myself and what to do now. We're all still hoping for the best, especially the first day I was in shock really - but now it'll be the third day we're losing hope of finding or getting her back.

Basically these are the circumstances: She has a double lock hutch, pretty stiff. My mum locked her in after an afternoon run on Sunday afternoon, then we went out Monday morning (to give her her feed), opened the locked door, and she has gone - stolen we presume (but haven't put that on posters, just 'Missing'.)

Our family and neighbourshave searched all round our garden and neighbourhood, even further over the past few days and nothing. Put up posters, reported to the police but still keep waiting for a phone call from someone even though time's getting on =/

Just really hit me today cause such a shock when realised she's gone, I can't bear to think she may be scared, in pain or worse but those thoughts keep coming back and just getting really depressed. I wasn't in fact the rabbits main carer, but after just being numb with trying to 'take action' first 2 days just hit me and sobbed for ages thinking about her an hour ago.

I just can't think what would possess anyone to do such a thing?! Especially a rabbit - I know its more common with cats and dogs especially, our neighbours have taken in abused strays.

I suppose this is a bit of a moan tbh, letting things out. But question keeps going round in my mind is the MOTIVE - is it possible simply for cruelty??

And has anybody been in a similar situation with lost/stolen pet, what are the chances of getting her back?

(I can provide more contextual details if anyone asks but post probs already overly long)
    I felt the same when one of my cats ran away . . . she never came back.

Why did they do this, you ask? It's sad, but some people think this kind of thing is really funny. Some have rather more disturbing motivations and intentions.

All you can do is hope for the best and know that not all of us are totally insensitive pricks.

*hugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Fantastic even
    :awesome:

Aww! I hope the person who stole it tries to sell it to someone who's seen your posters and you get it back, OP!

ReputationRep:
    My bestfriend stole a rabbit once and then he gave it back when it bit him. It was quite funny really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made)
    Its all self explanatory really. Been two days since our rabbit was taken (Sunday night)).............
    I don't think some people understand how loved pets can be....my kitten (8 months now, had her since she was teeny) is literally like my child, I love her soooooo much (and I'm not some psycho geeky person)...can't imagine how you're feeling right now. Sorry xx

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to add that 'devastated' is a ridiculous word to use.
    People who have lost whole families in Haita are 'devasted', having your rabbit end up in pie does not quite match.

ReputationRep:
    My rabbit got out of his hutch about a year after we got him and I was absolutely devastated. It was late in the evening and we only went to check because it sounded like the hutch door was banging. My parents came out with torches and my neighbour must have noticed and came out with a big torch to help too, but we couldn't find him. We stuck posters up all over the town I live in and after a few days we got a phone call from someone saying his dad had found a rabbit and was keeping him in his shed. We went round and it was our Bobby :woo: This old man lived on his own and didn't go out, his son just came and brought his groceries every week and visited him every day or so. He was the one who'd seen the posters and told his dad. It was such a happy moment, we got the man a box of chocolates and a bottle of Jamesons haha.

I really hope you find your rabbit soon, it was horrible while mine was gone

ReputationRep:
    I feel really, really sorry for you, it's so horrible to lose something which you can't even contact and don't even know is safe
    even the idea of my puppy being taken makes me really upset :sad:

However what more can you do? i don't think it seems likely that you'll see it again, sadly

I really am sorry for you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    I would also like to add that 'devastated' is a ridiculous word to use.
    People who have lost whole families in Haita are 'devasted', having your rabbit end up in pie does not quite match.

They aren't even comparable though. Those are two completley distinct circumstances and OP has every right to use "devastated" if that's how they're feeling. It's like "I'm thirsty" "Not as thirsty as a camel." "I'm hungry." "Not as hungry as a shark who hasn't eaten in a while."

Obviously it is absolutley devastating to lose a relative, but to be so horrible in your response - particularly when, to the OP, the pet WAS like a member of the family - is just really insensitive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.