Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys and gals I dont know whether im doing the right decision or not but here goes...

Im a first year student at Sheffield Hallam doing computer and network engineering. I applied for the course in a rush as I was kinda upset I didnt get into an apprenticeship as I got so far in the enrolling process, through all the stages and was told "someone with better experience got the job" even though its an apprenticeship... Ever since September Ive struggled to fit in and the course to me is a big let down. Im finding it really hard as I just dont have any interest in the modules as they are too technical for me, never really got on well with maths and we seem to be using it in everything. Yeh I should of done more research into the course, but from what I read on the website, it suited me fine. I know already that I have failed one module pretty much but next year looks even harder so I dont know how im going to cope.

I havent really made many friends, mainly acquaintances, but ive been pretty shy since primary school and Ive always found it hard to make friends, although I have a very good group of mates back home. I live around a 3-4 hour train journey away from uni so I cant really go home very often and I do get homesick. My flatmates are ok, but everyone I seem to get on with up here seems to live nearby and go home all the while or they have made other friends up here already. Sheffield to me is not a great city, yeh some will disagree but imo Norwich is so much better, even if it is smaller.

Ive talked to my course tutors and counsellers about leaving (I was going to leave around december but thought id give it one last try) and I have an appointment with an education adviser next week.

My question is, do you think its worth dropping out as I got an unconditional offer, I really dont want to just drop out and get a normal run off the mill job, I want the withdrawl to be worth it, I know my dad will be pretty dissapointed but I have my eyes on a foundation degree closer to home at Norwich and I have been in contact with them about transferring. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion, but I see it as whats the point in devoting all this time and money in a course that im not enjoying? Think I will give this other degree a proper in depth look at!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WINK0)
    Hey guys and gals I dont know whether im doing the right decision or not but here goes...

Im a first year student at Sheffield Hallam doing computer and network engineering. I applied for the course in a rush as I was kinda upset I didnt get into an apprenticeship as I got so far in the enrolling process, through all the stages and was told "someone with better experience got the job" even though its an apprenticeship... Ever since September Ive struggled to fit in and the course to me is a big let down. Im finding it really hard as I just dont have any interest in the modules as they are too technical for me, never really got on well with maths and we seem to be using it in everything. Yeh I should of done more research into the course, but from what I read on the website, it suited me fine. I know already that I have failed one module pretty much but next year looks even harder so I dont know how im going to cope.

I havent really made many friends, mainly acquaintances, but ive been pretty shy since primary school and Ive always found it hard to make friends, although I have a very good group of mates back home. I live around a 3-4 hour train journey away from uni so I cant really go home very often and I do get homesick. My flatmates are ok, but everyone I seem to get on with up here seems to live nearby and go home all the while or they have made other friends up here already. Sheffield to me is not a great city, yeh some will disagree but imo Norwich is so much better, even if it is smaller.

Ive talked to my course tutors and counsellers about leaving (I was going to leave around december but thought id give it one last try) and I have an appointment with an education adviser next week.

My question is, do you think its worth dropping out as I got an unconditional offer, I really dont want to just drop out and get a normal run off the mill job, I want the withdrawl to be worth it, I know my dad will be pretty dissapointed but I have my eyes on a foundation degree closer to home at Norwich and I have been in contact with them about transferring. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion, but I see it as whats the point in devoting all this time and money in a course that im not enjoying? Think I will give this other degree a proper in depth look at!
    Well you sound rather upset , if you want to do a different degree then go for it!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.