UCL or Durham Watch

achard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
I had the same decision to make (but with English lit) and chose Durham. Don't regret it at all.

Oh, and since when is UCL "fourth in the world"????

Since always. Get with the programme.
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by achard)
Since always. Get with the programme.
Source?

EDIT: OP, you really need to think about what YOU want from university. Everyone is biased towards their own uni.
CMJBGBWC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL of course.

Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE are all mindblowingly better than Durham; Durham is Oxbridge's graveyard.

It is also ******* cold, all the time! :p:
CMJBGBWC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had the same decision to make (but with English lit) and chose Durham. Don't regret it at all.

Oh, and since when is UCL "fourth in the world"????
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ucl+4th+best+un...y+in+the+world
Retrospect
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Source?

EDIT: OP, you really need to think about what YOU want from university. Everyone is biased towards their own uni.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...p?typeCode=438
username233985
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go to Durham.... it will broaden your experience of the world.... and to be honest, most of the people who go to Durham are from the south.. also its really pretty, and NatSci is amaaaazingly flexible and I think it probably is a better thought of degree than human sciences.

But its your choice!
Ebd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CMJBGBWC)
UCL of course.

Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE are all mindblowingly better than Durham; Durham is Oxbridge's graveyard.

It is also ******* cold, all the time! :p:
I can safely assume you have attended all 6 universities for an undergraduate degree then? That or you are just basing everything off league tables...

Being a "graveyard" for the best Uni's in the country is hardly a bad thing and to be honest most people going to uni's in the top 10 in this country are oxbridge rejects.

*sigh* I'm letting myself be suckered into the same old argument again :p: I guess I'm the stupid one
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How does being fourth in the world affect any given individual's experience of university?

How can anybody reliably comment on the experiences of students at any university without having been a student at the places in question?

The cities are totally different - to me that's the biggest factor in making a decision about this. Durham is small, and it's not for everybody.

UCL of course.

Do you have any evidence for this (excluding league tables, which are pretty meaningless)?
Jeremy_Whiskers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Choose based in where you want to live, they are of virtually equal academic standing and regard, you will be fine at either. Personally i'd pick Durham any day.

Also i wish people would stop throwing round '4th in the world', as if it's touching on a truism, because it isn't and no one regards it as such.
sam151
Report 8 years ago
i'm firming natural sciences at chads
are you coming to either of the open days im march?
Yuppie20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wtf is durham
WarwickOrYork
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, this is a tough one - both very nice and very good.
I think it depends on whether you like a CITY life or LUSH/more quiet life?
NavyBlueAndPearls
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Durham for sure - cleaner, possibly friendlier and more interesting.
You get a college - instant friends and uni fam.
You get to be part of the uni for life, not just become an anonymous alum like with many other unis where your only residual link is the title at the top of your degree certificate.
More people head there that are from the South than UCL - therefore it is more likely you will have a similar upbringing/background/interests/political viewpoint as them and so could get along more easily. However, this is by no means always the case.
Plus Durham has a cracking grad reputation for employment.
Yes London is fun, but Durham blows it's metaphorical socks off in my oppinion.

Both are great unis, I would be proud to attend either of them and you are really lucky to be in the position you are. Well done

(I'll be at Durham next year, Castle College.)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They are both essentially the same, I would go to which ever you like more. Visit both.
CMJBGBWC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ebd)
I can safely assume you have attended all 6 universities for an undergraduate degree then? That or you are just basing everything off league tables...

Being a "graveyard" for the best Uni's in the country is hardly a bad thing and to be honest most people going to uni's in the top 10 in this country are oxbridge rejects.

*sigh* I'm letting myself be suckered into the same old argument again :p: I guess I'm the stupid one
UCL has a far superior academic and research pedigree; I would be surprised if you disagreed with it.

Of course most top ten universities are attended by many Oxbridge rejects - yet from own experience of friends, etc, not to the extent of Durham. Compounded mainly by the collegiate system.

And it is in London. For me (and some others) London = win.

Also, any degree from UoL (even though UCL now awards its own degrees) offers greater emloyability internationally than one from Durham...
*River
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL has a far superior academic and research pedigree; I would be surprised if you disagreed with it.
How does that manifest itself in the average undergraduate's experience though?
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say Durham, just for the sake of it - and it's better for English And personally, I would hate to be in London - too big, too hard to feel a part of something.. whereas with the college thing it would be more communal and I love the idea of tutorial learning, also I think it's better academically? Depends which course you prefer though I guess!
*River
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BookWormShanti)
I'd say Durham, just for the sake of it - and it's better for English And personally, I would hate to be in London - too big, too hard to feel a part of something.. whereas with the college thing it would be more communal and I love the idea of tutorial learning, also I think it's better academically? Depends which course you prefer though I guess!
Durham's different from Oxford or Cambridge - academics are totally separate from college.
Sooz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Which city would you like to live in is the most important thing.
That said, I couldn't reccommend Chad's more though. There's so much more to being a part of Chad's than just being a member of a large university, and it does enhance your university experience a lot.
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by *River)
Durham's different from Oxford or Cambridge - academics are totally separate from college.
are they? ok.. should do more research before replying! (still rooting for durham though..)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (633)
91.08%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.92%

Watched Threads