Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I had the same decision to make (but with English lit) and chose Durham. Don't regret it at all.

Oh, and since when is UCL "fourth in the world"????

Since always. Get with the programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by achard)
    Since always. Get with the programme.
    Source?

EDIT: OP, you really need to think about what YOU want from university. Everyone is biased towards their own uni.

ReputationRep:
    UCL of course.

Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE are all mindblowingly better than Durham; Durham is Oxbridge's graveyard.

It is also ******* cold, all the time! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I had the same decision to make (but with English lit) and chose Durham. Don't regret it at all.

Oh, and since when is UCL "fourth in the world"????
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ucl+4th+best+un...y+in+the+world

ReputationRep:
    Source?

EDIT: OP, you really need to think about what YOU want from university. Everyone is biased towards their own uni.
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...p?typeCode=438

ReputationRep:
    Go to Durham.... it will broaden your experience of the world.... and to be honest, most of the people who go to Durham are from the south.. also its really pretty, and NatSci is amaaaazingly flexible and I think it probably is a better thought of degree than human sciences.

But its your choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJBGBWC)
    UCL of course.

Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE are all mindblowingly better than Durham; Durham is Oxbridge's graveyard.

It is also ******* cold, all the time! :p:
    I can safely assume you have attended all 6 universities for an undergraduate degree then? That or you are just basing everything off league tables...

Being a "graveyard" for the best Uni's in the country is hardly a bad thing and to be honest most people going to uni's in the top 10 in this country are oxbridge rejects.

*sigh* I'm letting myself be suckered into the same old argument again :p: I guess I'm the stupid one

ReputationRep:
    How does being fourth in the world affect any given individual's experience of university?

How can anybody reliably comment on the experiences of students at any university without having been a student at the places in question?

The cities are totally different - to me that's the biggest factor in making a decision about this. Durham is small, and it's not for everybody.

UCL of course.

Do you have any evidence for this (excluding league tables, which are pretty meaningless)?

ReputationRep:
    Choose based in where you want to live, they are of virtually equal academic standing and regard, you will be fine at either. Personally i'd pick Durham any day.

Also i wish people would stop throwing round '4th in the world', as if it's touching on a truism, because it isn't and no one regards it as such.

ReputationRep:
    i'm firming natural sciences at chads
    are you coming to either of the open days im march?

ReputationRep:
    wtf is durham

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is a tough one - both very nice and very good.
    I think it depends on whether you like a CITY life or LUSH/more quiet life?

ReputationRep:
    Durham for sure - cleaner, possibly friendlier and more interesting.
    You get a college - instant friends and uni fam.
    You get to be part of the uni for life, not just become an anonymous alum like with many other unis where your only residual link is the title at the top of your degree certificate.
    More people head there that are from the South than UCL - therefore it is more likely you will have a similar upbringing/background/interests/political viewpoint as them and so could get along more easily. However, this is by no means always the case.
    Plus Durham has a cracking grad reputation for employment.
    Yes London is fun, but Durham blows it's metaphorical socks off in my oppinion.

Both are great unis, I would be proud to attend either of them and you are really lucky to be in the position you are. Well done

(I'll be at Durham next year, Castle College.)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    They are both essentially the same, I would go to which ever you like more. Visit both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebd)
    I can safely assume you have attended all 6 universities for an undergraduate degree then? That or you are just basing everything off league tables...

Being a "graveyard" for the best Uni's in the country is hardly a bad thing and to be honest most people going to uni's in the top 10 in this country are oxbridge rejects.

*sigh* I'm letting myself be suckered into the same old argument again :p: I guess I'm the stupid one
    UCL has a far superior academic and research pedigree; I would be surprised if you disagreed with it.

Of course most top ten universities are attended by many Oxbridge rejects - yet from own experience of friends, etc, not to the extent of Durham. Compounded mainly by the collegiate system.

And it is in London. For me (and some others) London = win.

Also, any degree from UoL (even though UCL now awards its own degrees) offers greater emloyability internationally than one from Durham...

ReputationRep:
    UCL has a far superior academic and research pedigree; I would be surprised if you disagreed with it.
    How does that manifest itself in the average undergraduate's experience though?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Durham, just for the sake of it - and it's better for English And personally, I would hate to be in London - too big, too hard to feel a part of something.. whereas with the college thing it would be more communal and I love the idea of tutorial learning, also I think it's better academically? Depends which course you prefer though I guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    I'd say Durham, just for the sake of it - and it's better for English And personally, I would hate to be in London - too big, too hard to feel a part of something.. whereas with the college thing it would be more communal and I love the idea of tutorial learning, also I think it's better academically? Depends which course you prefer though I guess!
    Durham's different from Oxford or Cambridge - academics are totally separate from college.

ReputationRep:
    Which city would you like to live in is the most important thing.
    That said, I couldn't reccommend Chad's more though. There's so much more to being a part of Chad's than just being a member of a large university, and it does enhance your university experience a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    Durham's different from Oxford or Cambridge - academics are totally separate from college.
    are they? ok.. should do more research before replying! (still rooting for durham though..)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.