Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sheffield vs Manchester? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so i've got an Conditional offer at Aston for Internation Business and Management (IBAM),and thats going to be my firm. I really can't decide between Sheffield Business Management (N200), and Manchester Business Studies (N100) for my insurance .

I've only been to sheffield for an Open day, and my sister went there so I suppose I have a slight bias toward it. I know Manchester is a really good uni with a great reputation so I dont want to just ignore.

If anyone could speak from personal experience on either of the unis I would be really greatful. Im interested in what the course is like? what the business/management school is like? what the city and night life are like? what the accomdation is like?

cheers Tom x

ReputationRep:
    Are they both offering the same grades in their offers? If not it might be wise to pick the Uni which offers grades lower than your firm choice. For example theres no point picking an insurance choice that wants the same grades as your firm choice. Because if you don't get in there you won't get into the insurance choice.

For example I picked Notts as firm choice with an ABB offer then picked Exeter as Insurance with a BBB offer. Fortunately I met the reqs to Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbyrne1989)
    Are they both offering the same grades in their offers? If not it might be wise to pick the Uni which offers grades lower than your firm choice. For example theres no point picking an insurance choice that wants the same grades as your firm choice. Because if you don't get in there you won't get into the insurance choice.

For example I picked Notts as firm choice with an ABB offer then picked Exeter as Insurance with a BBB offer. Fortunately I met the reqs to Notts.
    Aston is AAB which I am currently on track for, Sheffield and Manchester are both ABB, however when I spoke to the staff at Sheffield they told me the course requirments last year were BBB, so if I got that I would still be likely to get in ( I'm not relying on this, I know how competitive this year and that its not good to choose just because I could beg them round, I would hate to be in that situation).

ReputationRep:
    If you have no preference between Sheffield & Manchester I would probably choose Sheffield, because they'll probably be more likely to relax their entry reqs in case the worst happens and you get something like BBB. Plus I heard its campus is very nice (from my cousin who did Geography there).

However if you're 100% sure you'll get a minimum of ABB; then I would choose Manchester, because its Business School is slightly more renound than Sheffields and has a bigger international reputation.

At the end of the day though the main question you need to ask yourself is: Which of the two Uni's can you see yourself studying at for the next 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbyrne1989)
    If you have no preference between Sheffield & Manchester I would probably choose Sheffield, because they'll probably be more likely to relax their entry reqs in case the worst happens and you get something like BBB. Plus I heard its campus is very nice (from my cousin who did Geography there).

However if you're 100% sure you'll get a minimum of ABB; then I would choose Manchester, because its Business School is slightly more renound than Sheffields and has a bigger international reputation.

At the end of the day though the main question you need to ask yourself is: Which of the two Uni's can you see yourself studying at for the next 3 years?
    Can I be really annoying and ask you about Sheffield/Manchester for Geography? (as I see your cousin did Geography at Sheffield :P ). Now it's my turn to choose between the two for my insurance for Geography and they have the same grade requirements

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.