Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My only times having to be in a hospital....... is this abnormal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was born there.
    Spent there until I was 8-12 months old.
    6 years old spent 1 month there.
    8 years old spent 1 months there.

none ever since

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well..... get this..
    I've only been once :zomg: when i was born

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)

The last time I went to a doctor was in 2003 for a cold, so I've never really needed the crappy NHS (thank god). It's why I'm not even registered with any GP/NHS clinic, and hopefully it remains that way :yep:

Better hope you don't get meningitis / swine flu / the dreaded lurgi and need ventilating and other ITU support ...

Better hope you don't have an RTC and get a head or spinal cord injury , as both these scenarios are very poorly covered by private providers ...

To be honest anything acute is poorly provided for by Private providers in the UK, the majority of private units which will take anything remotely acute are those co-located with an NHS hospital.

and patient accomodation wise between an NHS new build and private hospital the primary difference will be fewer soft furnishings and no wine list ...

the Unit i work on is moving to a new build this june, we are having a 34 bedded unit with 16 single rooms, 4 * 4 bedded rooms and an additional 4 bed area which will be configured for 2 high dependency beds there will be 21 accesible shower rooms , 23 patient toilets and 1 or 2 assisted bath rooms ...

bed spaces in the 4 bedded rooms are 3.5 *3.5 metres as this is the new build / refurb standard

ReputationRep:
    Broken my right leg, several fingers, couple of concussions , knocked down by a motor bike (which put my entire right side of my body to breaking point, doctors said I was lucky not to have at least broken some ribs and my right arm :P )

So yeah I have only been a few times.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    well I've been in when I was :

-being born
    -visiting relatives/friends
    -giving birth

that's it

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a few times due to over-zealous/protective police officers. Other than that, I'm quite healthy and don't need hospitals/doctors. Well, that kind anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    Better hope you don't get meningitis / swine flu / the dreaded lurgi and need ventilating and other ITU support ...

Better hope you don't have an RTC and get a head or spinal cord injury , as both these scenarios are very poorly covered by private providers ...

To be honest anything acute is poorly provided for by Private providers in the UK, the majority of private units which will take anything remotely acute are those co-located with an NHS hospital.

and patient accomodation wise between an NHS new build and private hospital the primary difference will be fewer soft furnishings and no wine list ...

the Unit i work on is moving to a new build this june, we are having a 34 bedded unit with 16 single rooms, 4 * 4 bedded rooms and an additional 4 bed area which will be configured for 2 high dependency beds there will be 21 accesible shower rooms , 23 patient toilets and 1 or 2 assisted bath rooms ...

bed spaces in the 4 bedded rooms are 3.5 *3.5 metres as this is the new build / refurb standard
    Well to be fair you do work for them so this is hardly a neutral post. I'm speaking from personal experience having witnessed the treatment of relatives and friends I think it's appalling. Coupled with the fact that it's one of the lowest funded national care systems in western europe, ranking at 14th in the whole of Europe I don't think it's good at all. I guess it's all about standards though.

It's all well saying there's 'free' health care but what good is it if it isn't as effective as it should be. The fact that it's 'free' doesn't make it acceptable for it to be bad. I'd rather pay a lot of money and be treated as well as I can, instead of having a low expense system that isn't as effective. When it comes to health there should be no holding back, I envy the residents of scandanavian countries who have an absolutely amazing system.

In short, I'd rather dig my own grave than to resort to the NHS. A national health care system that's accessible to all regardless of financial capacity is definately the way to go, but it needs to step its level up.

ReputationRep:
    When I was born/when nieces were born. Cracked my head open with a metal bell. Various visits for sports injuries. Investgations on my knees. Investigations and surgery of my wrist. Investigations as to why I faint alot. Ummm, blood tests/various other tests galore.

I hate hospitals with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    tenner this guy is in hospital by the end of the week after saying this.
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    For me

. Being born

. Visiting a relative / friend / family friend that's stay there for however long

. Infrequently when i got my braces, then retainers - and all those visits in between every few months

. Blood tests

Never had a serious head or body injury, never broken or dislocated any bones.... yeah, awesome :cool:
    I'm sure you'll have ample time to reflect on the irony of this post when you're rendered suddenly and violently quadriplegic for being a smug ****.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in hospital a few times, but only once because of a broken bone. It's a minor miracle that I've only ever broken one bone really, because I've played rugby for 6 years, and spent a lot of my childhood playing football on concrete playgrounds, climbing trees etc. I did drink a ******** of milk though, and still drink it quite a lot, so that probably strengthened my bones a lot.

I had to go to Casualty a few times in my childhood - when I was about 1 I nearly strangled myself, I split my head open on the side of the piano at infants school, cut my finger really deeply with a breadknife, jumped off some railings at school only to catch my feet in it and land flat on my face on the concrete playground (had steristrips put on under my nose), and got hit on the head with a sledgehammer by mistake.

Then when I was at uni I had to go to hospital because I perforated my eardrum playing rugby, and twisted my big toe so needed a bit of physiotherapy (which didn't work, but never mind.)

ReputationRep:
    The day I told my form group i'd never broken a bone in my body I fractured my finger. Hurt like a mofo. Taught me not to be so smug.

I hope you like grapes!

ReputationRep:
    Nice one OP, you've probably jinxed yourself

You'll probably come close to death in the coming year which will involve you receiving mass blood transfusion, lengthy rehabilitation/therapy, and possibly various amputations.

ReputationRep:
    only one broken finger from basketball

ReputationRep:
    I've been a reasonable number of times.
    -Being born
    -Broke my leg
    -Broke my foot
    -Numerous broken fingers
    -Numberous suspected breaks (thankfully only sprains).
    I've not been ill enough to go though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Never broken a bone despite being accident prone and probably not getting enough calcium :erm:
    But I have been to hospital a couple of times, twice when I was 4 for head injuries and then not again until last year :p: I was a healthy 5-17 year old :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've spent 3 weeks on a drip in hospital because of stomach pains, I couldn't eat anything, had a gastroscopy then.

Had a tomography once.

Apart from that many injuries like: once i've broken my hand (a hand for a month in a plaster and a month of rehabilitation after that), I ve broken the big toe once, I've had injury to my heels(because of playing basketball..), I've sprained my ankle once. And much more less serious injuries.

I think i could build the skeleton from all X-rays I've ever had

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    The only time i went was when i was born
    Really! Am i the only one that finds this odd?

ReputationRep:
    I think the last time I went to the hospital was when I had my tonsils removed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.