Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As in the title. ^ Preferably something that brings in enough money to live on and doesn't involve lots of personal contact with people..

I'm at that stage of life - again - where buying a small house and growing my own vegetables and chicken seems VERY attractive. :rolleyes: Unfortunately I probably wouldn't be able to live on that alone. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    www.63336.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    www.63336.com
    Thank you very much, but I don't actually have a mobile phone. (And that's the truth. Ha!)

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of jobs that could be done from home. You can do anything from typing, making crafts like baskets, jam or jewellery to book keeping.

It obviously depends on what skills you have or can/want to learn and the investment you want or can make to the business.

I would also say ignore adverts offering jobs like stuffing envelopes that want you to make up front payments for materials as these are cons and you would only loose money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Thank you very much, but I don't actually have a mobile phone. (And that's the truth. Ha!)
    You don't need one.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto Maker
    You're better off setting up something yourself - all of these ****** newspaper and internet adds promising "get rich quick" and earn £xxxx from home are rubbish.

You want to grow your own veg etc. - Try making something like handi-crafts or touristy stuff (if you live close to a touristy place), take up painting or sculpture.

Depending on how many chickens and how much fruit and veg your gonna have, you could try selling the stuff you have spare at farmers markets (call it 'organic, free-range, etc and rake in the money).

ReputationRep:
    ebay shop
    blogging
    website design
    translation
    write a book
    farming
    proof reading
    illustrator
    artist
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well my mom's an audio typist and finds that working from home is a lot easier, and I do admin and accounts for my dad's business, which works really well, however there are a few draw backs. If you're working from home for an outside business (like my mom does) it's difficult to do set hours, at first my mom was only given a few hours a week as she was on 'flexible hours', but this has increased so now she works right through the night some days, and not being in the business environment means being left out of the loop when it comes to knowing upcoming work loads, or knowing when your free time may be, my mom's boss has been known to go on holiday and forget to mention it to my mom, so she's had to sit in by the phone for a week waiting for work that never arrived...you'll find you could waste a lot of time doing this sort of job...
    As for making money from your veg and chickens, it could be very difficult, we do have chickens and a veg patch (not that me and my mom ever get time to go near either ) which my nan and my auntie keep...and even if that's all we all did there's no way we could live off that money...but keeping them could save you money, if you managed to make working from home work for you, I've never eaten a shop bought egg, and that's got to have saved my family a lot of money over the years plus I reckon eggs from your own chickens have to be tastier...and getting veg from the veg patch is definitely much better :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be have a normal, horrible job for a while, save up, go live the country dream for five years (I live in the country, it's bleak), have some chickens, grow a potato or two, freeze to death in a house you can't afford to heat then go back to where there's jobs and cinemas after you get bored. There are pretty much no jobs that you can do entirely from home without extreme difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm thinking of doing a MSc Computer Science conversion course first, so I suppose then I could do Web design or software development from home..

(Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    My advice would be have a normal, horrible job for a while, save up, go live the country dream for five years (I live in the country, it's bleak), have some chickens, grow a potato or two, freeze to death in a house you can't afford to heat then go back to where there's jobs and cinemas after you get bored. There are pretty much no jobs that you can do entirely from home without extreme difficulty.
    Very encouraging thank you.

Yeah I'm thinking of saving up for 5 and a bit more years. I'm thinking about getting a ground-heating system and a photovoltaic system on the roof of my chicken-house; then I will get paid for the current I feed into the state system. Apparently my sister makes 1000 Euro / month that way so that sounds pretty good... once you've paid off the costs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm thinking of doing a MSc Computer Science conversion course first, so I suppose then I could do Web design or software development from home..
    Very encouraging thank you.
    Yeah I'm thinking of saving up for 5 and a bit more years. I'm thinking about getting a ground-heating system and a photovoltaic system on the roof of my chicken-house; then I will get paid for the current I feed into the state system. Apparently my sister makes 1000 Euro / month that way so that sounds pretty good... once you've paid off the costs...
    Well you've certainly thought it out Loving the pimped out chicken coop idea. Seriously though, get double glazing, the condensation on the windows that every house in the country gets is almost as suicide-inducing as the 2 hour drive it'll take you to find coffee beans in a shop.

ReputationRep:
    Well you've certainly thought it out Loving the pimped out chicken coop idea. Seriously though, get double glazing, the condensation on the windows that every house in the country gets is almost as suicide-inducing as the 2 hour drive it'll take you to find coffee beans in a shop.
    I don't drink coffee.

I know what you are getting at (I think). It's just that at times when I'm particularly stressed, my misanthropic side shows itself and I want to get out.. Since I'm quite often particularly stressed lately, I think about it quite a lot. I do think I'd actually enjoy a hermit life though. :closedeyes:

(And actually I think the way to go is triple glazing, I can't remember why though, I didn't listen particularly attentively when someone explained this to me..)

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe no-one has suggested prostitute yet.

Seriously, proofreading or web design (especially as it's related to your degree) sound good.

ReputationRep:
    make decorations and stuff for parties; or event management...you could make paintings (if you can paint) and sell them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I don't drink coffee.

I know what you are getting at (I think). It's just that at times when I'm particularly stressed, my misanthropic side shows itself and I want to get out.. Since I'm quite often particularly stressed lately, I think about it quite a lot. I do think I'd actually enjoy a hermit life though. :closedeyes:

(And actually I think the way to go is triple glazing, I can't remember why though, I didn't listen particularly attentively when someone explained this to me..)
    A coffee abstainee, eh? Ok i believe you now; anyone who shuns caffeine is suited only for a life of hermitry. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    A coffee abstainee, eh? Ok i believe you now; anyone who shuns caffeine is suited only for a life of hermitry. :yep:
    Seconded! Coffee is like heaven in a cup :love:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.