Turn on thread page Beta

Quick question: lifting weights watch

ReputationRep:
    Ectomorph newbie with regard to the gym and bulking business, only properly started eating big around a week ago.

Research tells me to lift big as I'm a hard gainer, but I feel slightly demoralised as I started to bench 30 and found it tough. Did 6 reps, then after a minutes rest, I could only manage 4, and then only 2.

This tends to be the same with other exercises too, and my question is, should I reduce the weight and do more reps? Or is it better to keep trying to lift bigger and do less reps.

(I'm pretty skinny, 5'9 and around 130lb)

ReputationRep:
    Most people think they are a hardgainer because they don't grow on the calories they are currently eating. However, this isnt true, you just arnt eating enough.

And about your question, stick with the compound movement; Squat, Deadlift, bench, bent over rows, chin ups, dips etc and go heavy !

Also research Starting Strength (Starting strength wiki in google), this is a good routine to be starting with for anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newlife)
    Ectomorph newbie with regard to the gym and bulking business, only properly started eating big around a week ago.

Research tells me to lift big as I'm a hard gainer, but I feel slightly demoralised as I started to bench 30 and found it tough. Did 6 reps, then after a minutes rest, I could only manage 4, and then only 2.

This tends to be the same with other exercises too, and my question is, should I reduce the weight and do more reps? Or is it better to keep trying to lift bigger and do less reps.

Hey, everybody starts somewhere, progress will be gradual but rewarding. Hit me up if you need any dietary advice.

Since you don't know what reps to do it suggests to me you are not following a program.

What exactly is your routine?

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly I haven't stuck to a concrete routine as yet, but I will definately look up Starting Strength.

I do enter the gym knowing the parts I wish to exercise though, and the last time for example I wanted to do Chest and Bi's..

My chest exercises were dumbell flies (incline and flat bench) and bench presses with a barbell (it was semi assisted on a machine though). I aimed to do 8-10 reps of whatever exercise I did but I couldn't exceed 6 if that.

And thanks for the offer Bishoman, I might message any diet questions on to you later.

I would get a concrete routine nailed down, from someone who knows what there doing.

And you will go in the right direction with decent food.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly I haven't stuck to a concrete routine as yet, but I will definitely look up Starting Strength.

I do enter the gym knowing the parts I wish to exercise though, and the last time for example I wanted to do Chest and Bi's..

My chest exercises were dumbell flies (incline and flat bench) and bench presses with a barbell (it was semi assisted on a machine though). I aimed to do 8-10 reps of whatever exercise I did but I couldn't exceed 6 if that.

And thanks for the offer Bishoman, I might message any diet questions on to you later.
    If you continue what you are doing right now, you will make some noob gains and then soon plateau.

Look up a good beginner's programme for strength and stick to it for as long as you can. Get your diet right.

When you can lift heavy weights, you can switch to a bodybuilding programme.

ReputationRep:
    heavy hevay, thats the way forward take it from me

ReputationRep:

If you are demoralised you will quit. Going to the gym should not be a demoralising experience. As a beginner, concentrate on completing the exercise correctly and not injuring yourself - particularly with compound movements (e.g. squat). Feel free to start on lower weights, you will see progression quicker and thus become motivated, big weights will come in time. Set your target and hit it, you may be a little scruffy toward the end but that's okay - but do not injure yourself. If you don't hit your target or your technique is not safe, lower the weights. As a beginner, progression is key, not the weight. Progression = motivation.

Do not concern yourself with what other people are lifting. If I see a beginner trying to bench too much, I am not concerned with how much they are lifting, I am concerned that they are going to injure themselves and I'm going to have to run over and help them.

With regard to my own opinions about rep range. Consider that you are a beginner and on one hand you have to be able to lift the minimum weight safely (i.e. the bar in the core compound exercises) but also need to give your muscles enough practice to build up and control the exercise correctly. Personally, I was always happy with 7 in the early days, for which I would complete 4 sets, however, please, this is not gospel.

ReputationRep:
    Also, stay away from the machines...they are evil! Free weights all the time baby...

Sometimes i dread going in to squat knowing how heavy it'll be, but once i do it successfully, the high I get is second to none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy1)
    heavy hevay, thats the way forward take it from me
    How is he going to lift heavy when he's clearly struggling with the heavy ones?????

ReputationRep:
    Rest more between sets. 1 minute isn't really ideal for a 5RM lift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rummang)
    Rest more between sets. 1 minute isn't really ideal for a 5RM lift.
    I can't believe you were the only one to answer his question. lol

But anyway, you beat me to it. Because I was going to. Answer his question that is. I was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I can't believe you were the only one to answer his question. lol

But anyway, you beat me to it. Because I was going to. Answer his question that is. I was.
    Yeah I thought I'd just have a quick read to see what the thread was about, skimmed the original post and expected the question to be answered quite early on, but I perused through the replies and didn't see it. Quite shocking actually.

ReputationRep:
    wat the hell u on about

ReputationRep:
    Haha, my starting bench was also embarassingly low. It still is but it's rising

ReputationRep:
    To the OP: I would suggest having 3 total body workouts a week (e.g. Monday, Wednesday and Friday) consisting of benchpressing, deadlifts and squats. Try to do 3 sets of about 10-8-6 on each excercise. Use the weight you're comfortable with to do this. Keep a record of how much you're lifting and set targets on how much you want to lift next time you're in the gym - it will help you see the overall progress and hopefully will motivate you to keep at it. Have regular meals with loads of protein and possibly supplement it with a protein shake (mixed with water - take straight after a workout). Don't work out any more than that and definitely no isolation excercises at this point (i.e. machines, dumbells etc). Forget all the biceps/triceps excercises as well - these will grow as you do bench and deadlift more. Trust me, you'll grow!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.