Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If it specifically said that a certain part would not be covered in the exam and then it does actually come up, then students have a right to be pissed off.

a specific statistical test came up in the exam, the textbook said you didn't need to know about how spearmans rank worked, but the use of statistical tests to validate research, which is exactly what the question asked the candidate to discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    isn't asking questions about natural selection a part of genetics?

it's easy to say that all exams don't have enough time however, I found all my a-level exams didn't have enough time avaliable to me that i felt comfortable with- it's not an uncommon complaint
    yes but previously you had a tried and tested spec I never complained about time before on other exams if I was short it's my fault because I need to become faster. As this is knew all you can do is go off the specimen and in that time was plentiful. So it's shock when you get such a volume when not expecting it. Also you know there is something wrong when lots of people complain of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afridi10)
    when it says in the endorsed up to date text book you don't need to know a test and it comes up, the evidence is valid enough. Plus it's about leveling the playing field it gives advantage to those doing stats and geog.

but you didn't need to know about spearmans rank..just ways these tests are used to increase reliabilty and validity of published research, WHICH if you look in the specification

evaluate their methodology, evidence and data,
    resolving conflicting evidence.
    and the application
    of elementary statistical analysis to the results;
    the use of percentage cover and frequency as
    measures of abundance.

ReputationRep:
    isn't asking questions about natural selection a part of genetics?

it's easy to say that all exams don't have enough time however, I found all my a-level exams didn't have enough time avaliable to me that i felt comfortable with- it's not an uncommon complaint
    Timing is another one of those difficult things when you're adventuring into the unknown. That's part of the disadvantage if you are the first to try a new spec. Remember, there was large discussion over the new A Level in 2000 (where they introduced modules and AS levels).

ReputationRep:
    I agree the course is supposed to widen the knowledge of students but the exam board tried something new on the students - which didn't work! Therefore they have taken things into consideration, which is the right thing to do. So they should stop complaining :yep:
    This can only be an advantage to us, i hope they don't try something completely uncalled for in our exam! Our hard work doesnt pay off that way

ReputationRep:
    yes but previously you had a tried and tested spec I never complained about time before on other exams if I was short it's my fault because I need to become faster. As this is knew all you can do is go off the specimen and in that time was plentiful. So it's shock when you get such a volume when not expecting it. Also you know there is something wrong when lots of people complain of time.

actually when i did my as-level in 2007, i was doing a new specification that had only ever been a pilot the year before, so i do understand how it is to do an exam which is 'new' to the exam board

I only reckon lots of people complain due to facebook, their mate is angry at it- the idea of joining in something which could possibly increase or make their grade better, and hey presto..it's the snowball effect.

ReputationRep:
    But it was unfair if you don't have a background of a test and others do I was lucky I did stats and geog at gcse.

ReputationRep:
    But it was unfair if you don't have a background of a test and others do I was lucky I did stats and geog at gcse.

it's not asking you to describe what spearmans rank does, but "the application
    of elementary statistical analysis to the results"- WHICH you should have all done in the practical for this modyle anyway, putting you on a level playing field.

and to say someone is at more of an advantage than another in a subject, due to others they do is silly. I was more at an advantage in one module as i did psychology, more of an advantage on medical ethics..as i did RE..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glee)
    I agree the course is supposed to widen the knowledge of students but the exam board tried something new on the students - which didn't work! Therefore they have taken things into consideration, which is the right thing to do. So they should stop complaining :yep:
    This can only be an advantage to us, i hope they don't try something completely uncalled for in our exam! Our hard work doesnt pay off that way
    They only added two new lines topics in the spec, but the most ideal way to set exams is to change the spec every 5 years rather than 10, as people get acclimatised to the past papers. This costs time and money and will reduce grade inflation (which really the government doesn't want) but it will still maintain the integrity of the qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    You haven't sat the exam, therefore you have no say in the matter. What gives you the right to say they're wrong?
    You weren't persecuted by the Nazis, therefore you have no say in the matter. What gives you the right to say they were wrong?

It's called an opinion for a reason, and everyone's entitled to one regardless of how relevant the story is to them.

ReputationRep:
    it's not asking you to describe what spearmans rank does, but "the application
    of elementary statistical analysis to the results"- WHICH you should have all done in the practical for this modyle anyway, putting you on a level playing field.
    :mmm:
    and to say someone is at more of an advantage than another in a subject, due to others they do is silly. I was more at an advantage in one module as i did psychology, more of an advantage on medical ethics..as i did RE..
    Well to be honest if you take Maths with Physics they complement each other in learning, while I have taken exams where the subject matter just so happened to be focused on another subject I was taking at the time (GCSE Economics paper had Geography related questions in it), but this comes down to chance and cannot be relied on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This is the problem with A level exams, you dont learn the subject you learn the mark scheme/exam. i have little sympathy for students.

ReputationRep:
    There's one about the OCR Biology exam also: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=309848444664

That was the same - I haven't seen the AQA paper so can't make a comparison. But I know the OCR Biology paper sounds much the same. Missing out huge chunks of the specification and asking random irrelevent questions that can't even be labelled as synoptic as it wasn't part of AS specifications either.

I can see both sides how students shouldn't be spoon-fed. But at the same time, if we're told something will be on the exam or vice versa, then really that should be true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    You weren't persecuted by the Nazis, therefore you have no say in the matter. What gives you the right to say they were wrong?

It's called an opinion for a reason, and everyone's entitled to one regardless of how relevant the story is to them.
    Just like the majority of the people not taking exams get to say exams are getting easier..
    When I'm finished exams - that's what I'm gonna be saying anyway

I didn't take the AQA paper - did the OCR..but AQA was worse than ours, I feel very sorry for you guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    There's one about the OCR Biology exam also: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=309848444664

That was the same - I haven't seen the AQA paper so can't make a comparison. But I know the OCR Biology paper sounds much the same. Missing out huge chunks of the specification and asking random irrelevent questions that can't even be labelled as synoptic as it wasn't part of AS specifications either.

I can see both sides how students shouldn't be spoon-fed. But at the same time, if we're told something will be on the exam or vice versa, then really that should be true!
    What was up with the seal?!
    3 drawings of a seal..we all know what a seal looks like tyvm!

ReputationRep:
    When there's 3000 people complaining AQA should listen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woozeybear)
    What was up with the seal?!
    3 drawings of a seal..we all know what a seal looks like tyvm!
    It was ridiculous!! I wasted so much time thinking 'wtf' that I ran out of time towards the end

ReputationRep:
    It was ridiculous!! I wasted so much time thinking 'wtf' that I ran out of time towards the end

what did the question ask?

ReputationRep:
    If people think a-levels are wrong then change all subjects why only bio I had chem 2day and it was a really good paper, it requires application of knowledge e.g synthesis and NMR.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same so rubbish - all the questions were though! How heat would affect the electrical impulse?! I guessed and put something to do with enzymes haha.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.