Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Also, I'd like to note that I'm not "struggling in my first semester at uni" :ta: I'm actually finding it much much easier compared to A Levels.

I am spamming up the thread with crap. I did the old specification, on exam boards which don't **** up things, and for well respected A Levels.
    You blates to nothing on your Film Studies course, apart from watch and review films And it's not as if your entry requirement (160 UCAS points) was that difficult if you were taking 3 A levels.

What do expect the people who don't have a choice as the legacy specs were withdrawn this year? Go and do IB??

ReputationRep:
    erm... if your're applying for courses like medicine, dentistry, engineering, chemistry, maths, biology and so on at uni, do you expect it to be easy to get the grade you want (ie A's or B's?)... Just grow up
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    The legacy OCR Biology course was perfectly fine.

Yes, the applications can be a bit strange at times but they are often interesting to come across (especially when not in exam conditions).
    I did human bio

Im not saying it affected me, it was just vague

ReputationRep:
    You blates to nothing on your Film Studies course, apart from watch and review films And it's not as if your entry requirement (160 UCAS points) was that difficult if you were taking 3 A levels.

What do expect the people who don't have a choice as the legacy specs were withdrawn this year? Go and do IB??
    They should :yes:

EDIT: yeah, the "Film Studies" course I'm doing... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    They should :yes:

EDIT: yeah, the "Film Studies" course I'm doing... :ninja:
    whatever course your doing, it is pretty much worthless if your not a Russel Group uni my friend. You won't get a better job at the end of it, wasting your time maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obviously students should show their own initiative, but there must be limits to which their knowledge is tested, which is what course specifications are for anyway. You wouldnt expect your average A-Level student to know all the aspects of Biology, would you? They learn and revise what is asked of them, there is a difference between expecting students to think oustide the box and going off the tangent completely.
    Besides, if AQA takes no measures, people who sit their exams are automatically disadvantaged against those who sit exams for other boards (Although if the majority of candidates score low accros the country, the paper would be moderated anyway)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    This I agree is an over-exaggeration. There is always a June resit. But what I am getting at is the annoyance of spending considerable months in the run up to exams and not getting assessed in topics you expect to come up in some shape or form. I wouldn't call interpreting graphs that mind-boggling. Exam papers are not perfect, I've sat some papers where the grammar is wrong and where questions were removed because they were too vague.

AQA will probably lower the grade bounderies or remove certain questions (or do nothing!) which is annoying for me because if I'm taking OCR and the bounderies remain the same, someone on AQA could be getting a better grade for a similar percentage score.

Anyway If one has not taken the exam it's hard for them to pass a fair judgement of the students who did! I recall a documentry a year or two ago where examiners sat an O-level paper due to controversy about the exams being too easy, and If I remember correctly they all failed, which just goes to show. :p:

They do standardise across exam boards. When allocating overall grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Yes, obviously students should show their own initiative, but there must be limits to which their knowledge is tested, which is what course specifications are for anyway. You wouldnt expect your average A-Level student to know all the aspects of Biology, would you? They learn and revise what is asked of them, there is a difference between expecting students to think oustide the box and going off the tangent completely.
    Besides, if AQA takes no measures, people who sit their exams are automatically disadvantaged against those who sit exams for other boards (Although if the majority of candidates score low accros the country, the paper would be moderated anyway)

have you seen the paper and spec?

What do you think of it- do you think the questions are irrelevant to the spec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    It wasn't unknown, it was in the specification..they probably were taught it, and learnt it but didn't have the capacity to take what they've learnt and apply it in a different setting - this is what learning, and being an adult learner is about
    The problem with the paper was more that it directly contradicted the specification, for example asking us to interpret Spearman Ranks, when the specification stated that we would not be asked to know about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    yes, but everyone in my school thought it was piss, so what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    whatever course your doing, it is pretty much worthless if your not a Russel Group uni my friend. You won't get a better job at the end of it, wasting your time maybe?

thats uncalled for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinstripesbaby)
    The problem with the paper was more that it directly contradicted the specification, for example asking us to interpret Spearman Ranks, when the specification stated that we would not be asked to know about it.
    fair enough, I remember that question - it was like 2 MARKS!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    yes, I am wasting my time ""

Spoiler:
    Show
    or so you think :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    thats uncalled for
    but it is the truth in today's society...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinstripesbaby)

*takes another deep breath*

...you were not asked to interpret spearmans rank or even know how to use it in research, but discuss the application of statistical tests in general Spearmans rank was used as an EXAMPLE of said test. It very clearly says in the spec, that application of statistical tests are needed to be known

ReputationRep:
    thats uncalled for
    There's nothing wrong with Bath/Durham/York/St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    Theres' nothing wrong with Bath/Durham/York/St Andrews

no but to tell someone they're wasting their degree as they dont go to a russell group is a debate that is neither here nor there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    They do standardise across exam boards. When allocating overall grades.
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with Bath/Durham/York/St Andrews
    They're all over-hyped :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't unknown, it was in the specification
    No.

..they probably were taught it, and learnt it but didn't have the capacity to take what they've learnt and apply it in a different setting
    they probably were taught it
    probably were taught
    probably were
    probably

this is what learning, and being an adult learner is about
    Telling 1000s of people to grow up? Smooth.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.